Town of Night - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A little dungeon crawler has been released today - Town of Night:

Town of Night is a First-Person Dungeon Crawler inspired by games like Shining in the Darkness, Etrian Odyssey, Diablo and Wizardry.
In Town of Night you play as Corr Algrimm. Hero, Scholar, ladies' man and expert Sword fighter - All self proclaimed.

Corr is visiting the Town of Night, a strange little town that makes money with Dungeon and Monster hunting tourism, to find out where the monsters are coming from.

In Town of Night you can recruit different members to your party to go dungeon crawling like you want to.
Remember to bring Ink and Paper to draw your own map and try not to die.

Features

• 5-10 Hour Campaign
  • 6 Different Recrutable Heroes
  • Looting and Levelling
  • First Person Dungeon Crawling
More information.

5-10 hour campaign? Little short for an Wizardry style RPG no?

Well, if it's a good game then the point is 5-10 hours of good gaming. What's the problem?

With all the complaints about short games it makes me wonder what the rest of you do. Between family, friends 60+ hour work week and other hobbies a good 5-10 hour game is welcome.

Doesn't mean I don't also like 100 hour games but it takes me months to complete them. Honestly with my schedule right now and with quality being equal I'd rather play 10-10 hour games than 1 100 hour game.

But 5-10 hours is like the time it takes for me to make my perfect Wizardry party BEFORE i start the game. I reroll like a 100 times per character.

But 5-10 hours is like the time it takes for me to make my perfect Wizardry party BEFORE i start the game. I reroll like a 100 times per character.

Then you have a 10-20 hour game and if you start over endlessly because your party isn't perfect like I do then you're at a solid 40-50 hour game for a buck fifty.:biggrin:

The game is really short, but the price is really cheap, so I guess it pans out. I'm not interested in it myself though.

It looks interesting but, its not my cup of tea to anime for my taste.
it is the first game I have seen made with smile game builder which is rpg maker 3d.

Personally, I have no problem with indie games being relatively short, as it makes them ideal for slotting in between more epic undertakings (which I may not have time for anyway). However, they also need to be good, because 5-10hr may be short, but you still need those hours to be fun :)

That's what lost me on this one, not the length. I looked at the game description, the videos, screenshots and so on. I like dungeon crawlers, but with so many available now (look at all the Vita ports appearing on Steam), the only thing that really stood out were a) the price and b) the length.

Oh, and it reads as though there's no automap. At the risk of sounding entitled, even my first RPGs in the mid-80s had that (Might and Magic 1/2). I know Etrian Odyssey has encouraged "DIY" mapping, but at least the hand-mapping in that was built into the game, so felt organic within the application.

The size is not the problem, the bigger problem is jrpg influence.
For me jrpg = instant skip.

Me too AA. Although, I sometimes buy one on accident :) I bought a whole bunch of RPG-maker games in a bundle and all but 2 were jRPG. Still it was like $7 for all 10 games or something crazy.

I wouldn't mind seeing some gamedesigns-er move into this engine though. ;)

It is not that I really hate jrpgs, just that I already got enough rpgs to play and I know I enjoy western rpgs. This way I can eliminate at start a big group of games and I can manage my limited time to play games better :)

Who knows, maybe in some future I get really sick of wRPGs and switch to jrpgs :D

Back
Top Bottom