Serpent in the Staglands - Review @ RPGamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPGamer has reviewed Serpent in the Staglands:

The Highest of the Highs and the Lowest of the Lows

Serpent in the Staglands is a game released in the recent past with all the trappings of an early 1990s cRPG, resolution included. Overall it offers a mixed experience, excelling in some areas while failing in others. The game's free approach to exploration is successfully realized and will strongly appeal to players who enjoy truly forging their own paths. However, the limited combat system, repetitive visuals and music, and abrupt end disappoint and may leave players dissatisfied.

Serpent in the Staglands tells the story of the moon god Necholai, opening with a mystical dream scene where the player sets up Necholai's history and personality. Unfortunately, on his annual visit to the land of Vol, his portal back to the moon disappears, leaving him stranded there in mortal form. With only brief guidance from Erlein, head cleric of Necholai's temple and Necholai's trusted friend, Necholai sets out to discover why the portal to the moon has closed and what can be done to reopen it.

[...]

Serpent in the Staglands offers an experience covering the full range from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows. Its refreshing premise and great sense of exploration are very rewarding. Players are truly made to feel that they are exploring the world freely, not being led through it. The way pieces of the world, lore, and story slowly surface and come together into a dark fairytale-like experience makes the Staglands seem like a world with many stories of which Necholai's is only one, though perhaps one of the more significant ones. The graphics are a mixed bag touting great attention to detail and fluid animation but fidelity that is perhaps too low for modern-sized monitors. Unlike its lore, game areas lack visual and aural variety, and combined with the uninspired combat system and poor itemization can sometimes make the game feel somewhat bland. If you crave an exploration-heavy, open-ended, lore driven game Serpent in the Staglands will satisfy that craving like few other games today. But take care to brace yourself for the jarring impact that will bring it all crashing down in the end.

Score: 3/5
More information.

Do I get the feeling that with a revamp the game could score much higher? I guess that's not going to happen with an indie title, for budget reasons.

But take care to brace yourself for the jarring impact that will bring it all crashing down in the end.

Soooo... this review begs the question: is 'bracing oneself' the new in-the-know word/catchphrase?

I backed it and knew I shouldnt because the graphics look terrible. Hopefully they can at least scale it up 33% so its more playable.

Back
Top Bottom