Beamdog - Testers wanted for next project

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
On the Beamblog, Beamdog have advertised for testers for their next project.

Testers Wanted

Phillip Daigle/2:19 PM

Do you love testing things? Do you love playing games? Well, have I got a wheelhouse for you.

We're currently looking for adventurers, warriors, rogues, wizards, druids, clerics, rangers, monks and shamans who are interested in helping us test our next game. We need testers on desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux) and tablet (iOS and Android) to help us make sure that this is our best release yet.

If you're interested in signing up to become a beta tester, please head over to this post on our forums to get started. You'll be asked to fill out a form and, if selected, you'll need to sign a non-disclosure agreement before you can begin testing.

Once testing begins you'll be invited to our super secret beta test forums and there you'll receive instructions as to how to get started.

We can't reveal the name of the game just yet, but the announcement is coming soon!
More information.

Another EE?

IWD2:EE would be crazy! Although a "new" old-school D&D style game would be most welcome as well.

I did buy Cube i7 Stylus tablet and I have iPhone…
But there is no way I'm betatesting phonegames and ports2phone.

I did buy Cube i7 Stylus tablet and I have iPhone…

I'm jealous...I'd love a Windows tablet! The Shield is pretty nice, but can't you play pretty much any Windows game on a Windows tablet?

There were rumors about BG III, if Dragonspear does well. Since the price for that is still close to the initial one, I guess it has done well so far. So my bet is on BG III (or D&D at least) in a new engine (likely Unity).

IWD II EE is unlikely, because it apparently uses another variant of the Infinity engine that makes remastering very hard.

I'd be interested, just out of curiosity, I've never been a tester. But I'll wait till they reveal the name of the game.

There were rumors about BG III, if Dragonspear does well. Since the price for that is still close to the initial one, I guess it has done well so far. So my bet is on BG III (or D&D at least) in a new engine (likely Unity).

IWD II EE is unlikely, because it apparently uses another variant of the Infinity engine that makes remastering very hard.
Too early for that.

There were rumors about BG III, if Dragonspear does well.

I remember that too but sadly SoD was a wreck...

Way too soon for a whole new game, I don't think they even started working on it outside writing design documents and trying out engines.

IWD II is no harder to remaster, they just can't put the current IE v2.0 engine straight on it. That means it might take more time to remaster.

What my Beamdog forum sleuthing discovered:

They put patch 2.4 of the IE, which is supposed to bring the update to IWDEE as well as tablet support for SoD, on hold to work on this new project. Considering everyone was on SoD until it released in March 31st and that patch v2.3 released in June 8th, that means this new project took off last summer. There was mention that everyone was on this in September in a thread people asking when was 2.4 coming.

I also saw mention of this project bringing improvements to the v2.x IE engine, but without confirming this was an IE engine game directly (basically, importing what they made for this over to IE v2.x).

Going by the timeframe (~6 months) and the mention of IE v2.x improvements from this to patch 2.4, I suspect this is a remaster of a forked IE game, so either Planescape:Torment or IWDII.

Well, there was this announcement back in June on Beamdog page that no longer exists:

"Ever considered taking your love of roleplaying games to the next level and actually becoming part of their creation? Do you dream about constructing epic quests for the players of your tabletop game? Would the idea of being part of the future of Dungeons & Dragons on computers appeal to you? Beamdog, the game developers behind Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition, and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition—as well as the newly released Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear—are looking for a Narrative Designer to join their creative team.

RESPONSIBILITIES

The Narrative Designer will be responsible for working with the rest of the Beamdog creative team to craft an upcoming (and currently unannounced) CRPG in the Dungeons & Dragons universe. This means coming up with unique and exciting quest designs, creating brand new characters the fans will love, and being responsible for their writing and dialogue through the entire iterative and editing process all the way to release."

Assuming this is the same thing, I'd imagine this is a new game rather than a remake or EE of an existing IE game

Edit: Here's the original news link
https://www.rpgwatch.com/?showdate=2016/06/12#35590

Well, there was this announcement back in June on Beamdog page that no longer exists:

[snip]

The two writers that Beamdog had left the company last Spring (one got a contract to write a TV series pilot and a novel/comic if I remember properly, the other had to move to another province for personal reasons). That announcement was to find new narrative designers to replace them and the process extended until mid-August.

That's 4 months ago, whatever those narrative designers were hired for is not something that will require testing in the next 20 months (and I'm being very generous with only 2 year to make a whole new game).

Id rather see a brand new game/franchise than EE again...even if its Planescape

I'd love to see an NWN:EE with easy access to mods and campaigns. IWD2:EE would be cool, too.

Releasing an Enhanced edition of their own enhanced edition, taking it to a whole new level. EEE!

Baldur's Gate. The Greatest RPG ever made. Enhanced... again.

if I remember properly, the other had to move to another province for personal reasons)
Viber, Skype and etc.
In 2016. moving to somewhere is not a reason to leave a company. Unless that company operates in dark ages climate when packages were moved on horses and where physical presence on a spot is needed 24/7 so someone can boss around instead of doing some proper work.

Viber, Skype and etc.
In 2016. moving to somewhere is not a reason to leave a company. Unless that company operates in dark ages climate when packages were moved on horses and where physical presence on a spot is needed 24/7 so someone can boss around instead of doing some proper work.

Not everyone likes to work remotely and some companies do not tolerate it more than a few days per months (where I work, the two people who ended up doing it full remote actually had another secret job and still billed my company full hours despite doing nothing, they were fired). Also, making games requires a lots of meetings and remote meetings are a waste, the people on the other side of the phone are never there at 100% (me included).

Also, if the "personal reasons" is taking care of a sick or old person, chance are time for works is quite limited. I'm just looking at my late grandma and no way my parents would have been able to deal with her with a full time job.

Back
Top Bottom