Diablo - 20 Years old

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Blizzard celebrates 20 years of Diablo:

As we approach the original game’s release anniversary on December 31, Blizzard Entertainment is thrilled to commemorate twenty years of Diablo. We’re ready to celebrate our passion for the world of Sanctuary and the brave heroes who inhabit it!

Starting soon, you can experience special in-game events and goodies in Diablo III, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, Overwatch, StarCraft II, and World of Warcraft to celebrate a few of the things we love about Diablo. These events and items will only be available for a limited time, so be sure to check them all out before they’re gone.

A small taste of each tribute is below—keep an eye out for more details about these celebrations. . . and thank you, all of you, for allowing us to continue adventuring in the world of Sanctuary. Here’s to twenty years of loot!
More information.

I finished the original game in 1-2 days and killed the final boss in no time.
I never had any fun with the Diablo series and most games it spawned.

For the better or for the worse the game brought new fans to the (Hack'n'Slash)-RPG genre.

At his heart Diablo is an ultra light rogue-like.

Last edited:
I finished the original game in 1-2 days in killed the final boss in no time .
I never had any fun with the Diablo series and most games it spawned.

For the better or for the worse the game brought new fans to the (Hack'n'Slash)-RPG genre.

At his heart Diablo is an ultra light rogue-like.

I can understand that as hack 'n' slash lacks the heart of complicated crpgs which I prefer. What stood out for me was the sound design when you hit the skeletons and demons and the atmosphere. Playing it at the time was like playing a movie that was going on in your head.

You have to set your brain to neutral to enjoy the ride alot of the time but what drives the genre mechanically is the loot and character building. I never really have to think too hard about it and thats the key to its success really. You can enjoy it casually and/or go deep into the character building if you desire.

When I played Diablo at age 15, it was a relevation. The music, the atmosphere, the horror shit. Only Doom, Heretic/Hexen and System Shock had a similar effect.

But yes, the game itself is pretty simple and cannot really be called a RPG. Diablo II bored me to death in Act III and I didn't even bother with the next one after I read all the BS with auctions in advance. Of all I heard the 3rd one is very boring and even die-hard fans gave up on it or went back to the 2nd one.

I'm more and more into turn-based systems. Might be the age, though…

great immersion, great sound great pacing, good story / writing and good gameplay.
diablo 1 was the bomb.
2 yes, act 3 was fail and 4 meh. and it had nothing of the things 1 did, no sound, no characters, no writing, no pacing , just decent gameplay
3 wouldnt touch with a pole
only dark souls got me to that zone and maybe soul reaver

When it came out, Diablo was an awsome game - a great reason to finish your mouse so you finally have to buy a new one.
It was a child of that time technology, something that will feel as outdated design in new hardware capabilities that appeared before Diablo 2 (and Diablo 3 which went even more decadent with always online idiocy).

I've enjoyed it back then, after finishing it all I did was restarting so I can nail Butcher again and again, I just didn't care about later bosses. Today I just can't touch anything like it.

Why was it accepted as RPG, I'll never understand. It does have RPG elements, but it's just a grinder. If that's RPG then I just don't want to play RPGs any more. Luckily for me, there are RPGs out there totally different than Diablo base ideas.

I had no interest in diablo, quake was out and its 3-d'ness blew my fuckin' mind.

I feel the first Diablo had a superior atmopshere, but Diablo II outdid it in almost every respect - especially when you take the phenomenal LoD expansion into account. I still play D2LoD on a private server when Im bored

I had no interest in diablo, quake was out and its 3-d'ness blew my fuckin' mind.
Quake? Meh. IIRC Wolfenstein and Doom happened before. No, not these modern half of HDD occupied for cca just 10 hours of shootin'.

Quake? Meh. IIRC Wolfenstein and Doom happened before. No, not these modern half of HDD occupied for cca just 10 hours of shootin'.

Yeahhh...those were the days. As much as i loved doom, rise of the triad and heretic were my favourite fps back in the day.

20th year anniversary of Diablo celebrated in every Blizzard game but Diablo...lol

We only had a (old) black and white monitor when D1 came out and the atmosphere was amazing. Then we got a colored monitor. Then we were sad.

I played all of the diablo series and enjoyed them for what they were and are now.
If you are enjoying what you are playing then that's what matters.Sometimes I don't want my brain engaged ,similar to what happens when I view TV.
As far as what is "outdated" Steam is proof that anything is still playable to some. Original Diablo looks like state of the art compared to some of newer games offered there using old concepts and eighties and early nineties graphics.
Yes Doom was first but Quake brought us unprecented online for masses of people and fragfests.

It was a cold night Dec 31 1996. I was 16 years young.
First PC game. On a P166Mhz / 16Mb Ram / 1.6Gb HD.
First game played online.. on old Battlenet. AUS/NZ region. 0n a fuckin 56K/22.5K?? BAUD Dial-Up modem.. God. The phone bills I racked up!
LANs. Late nights, early mornings. The future looked bright through tired, red eyes.

I remember you fondly old friend. RIP. :devil:

Best descent to hell in any game to date, really opressive ambiance. DIII recreation is an insult to the franchise.

My wife bought me this, little did she know she opened Pandora's box. I spent many hours with this one. Original Diablo is my favorite of the franchise with a feel like no other in the series. The creepy music, the gore, the huge packs of mobs, the unique mobs interspersed throughout the levels. I'll never forget my first Leoric & Butcher encounters. Upgraded from AOL to a direct internet connection with my sweet 56k modem. Times were so much simpler...

Then the cheaters and dupers ruined multiplayer. The fan favorite of the series seems to be D2, but I never cared for it quite as much. I will sporadically fire up D3, but it's just not the same either.

I'll always say Diablo is/was a great game and definitely an RPG. The 2nd one was cool but the first one is my favorite. It's been said already but the atmosphere, sound design, graphics, mechanics; everything about it just draws you in. I still re-play it every few years with my old man. Good game to co-op through as well.

Back
Top Bottom