Wasteland 3 - Vision for the Apocalypse

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The latest update for Wasteland 3 focuses on the creative vision. Head to the link to discover the vision document.

Hello Rangers,

It is time to give you all another status update on Wasteland 3! As we mentioned previously, we are deep in our pre-production phase. We have a set of core team members working to build out the vision for the game. In the coming months we have a set timeline to ensure our future team members will roll onto the project smoothly. Lead Designer George Ziets and the content team are hard at work hammering down the overall storyline, as well as working on area design and coming up with all kinds of quirky characters and companions to populate Colorado.

Beyond area and system designs, a key goal for our pre-production period is to get working prototypes for our internal use. These are focused on major gameplay elements, such as combat, missions, exploration, skill use, and so on. A lot of those designs are heavily rooted in Wasteland 2, which gives us a firm basis in the kind of rich reactivity and systemic depth we want. Our prototype work will focus on answering larger questions about new gameplay elements, such as vehicles, multiplayer, and ice and cold. We showed some of this prototyping work in our crowdfunding campaign, but for pre-production it is essential to create prototypes that explore the riskiest gameplay elements, and this will be our focus in coming months.

Since we now have a good idea of the basics, our humble team has been growing. The art lead on Torment, Charlie Bloomer, has begun work on Wasteland 3, and will be concepting and prototyping scenes to figure out how we can maximize the aesthetic of our unique, wintery setting. Dan Jenkins and Chris Wiedel, engineers who worked on Wasteland 2 and Torment, have started exploring Wasteland 3's programming needs, such as integrating useful code from Wasteland 2 and Torment, as well as investigating our requirements to get multiplayer off the ground.

Vision Document

But that's not all we have to share. Dating back to the Interplay days, our studio philosophy is to create a vision document for each of our projects. This document contains the game's core elements and features, and serves to remind us of our high-level goals throughout production, as well as to give new team members an introduction to the game's core features. On Wasteland 2, we shared our vision with you early in the development process, and we're continuing that tradition with Wasteland 3. To read up on it, please click below:

[...]
More information.

Mhm, right.
Let's say we're past some doomsday and humanity is on it's knees. What would you do? You need a shelter and food but everything is destroyed?

I have these collected in two integrals and I suggest reading them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hombre_(comics)
The protagonist has temporary sidekicks but he does not live any MMO rubbish - all sidekicks are expendable and he's basically a solo player. Quests yes, NPCs yes, best friends for life or something like that, no.

Sadly, Wasteland 3 believes Apocalypse means permanent co-op instead of soloing. Whatta joke of a game. Instead of tainting the predecessor they should have make some police partners game instead.

Mhm, right.
Let's say we're past some doomsday and humanity is on it's knees. What would you do? You need a shelter and food but everything is destroyed?

I have these collected in two integrals and I suggest reading them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hombre_(comics)
The protagonist has temporary sidekicks but he does not live any MMO rubbish - all sidekicks are expendable and he's basically a solo player. Quests yes, NPCs yes, best friends for life or something like that, no.

Sadly, Wasteland 3 believes Apocalypse means permanent co-op instead of soloing. Whatta joke of a game. Instead of tainting the predecessor they should have make some police partners game instead.

How is it permanent? the co-op aspect of the game is completely optional and you can play through the game on your own if you want. Even the old Infinity Engine games had multi-player modes.

Infinity Engine games are not about Apocalypse nor were what we could refer to as postapocalyptic setting.

Infinity Engine games are not about Apocalypse nor were what we could refer to as postapocalyptic setting.

Not quite sure what your ultimate point is. Can there not be more than a single person alive in a post-apocalyptic setting who might work together in some way? Also, the multiplayer portion is entirely optional.

Can there not be more than a single person alive in a post-apocalyptic setting who might work together in some way?
We're species that in order to survive need to cooperate.
It has it's limits though. At a certain point we split, and in postapoc world that split ends with death. There is no other way and to prevent it, we created civilization in the first place.

Wasteland 3 from sci-fi horror returned to happy ending fairy tale where love and friendship conquer everything. I mean yea right. I'm not 5 years old kid any more.

I wonder if they will have rideable horses? Take us up into Wyoming to face some mounted raiders? Could be fun.

We're species that in order to survive need to cooperate.
It has it's limits though. At a certain point we split, and in postapoc world that split ends with death. There is no other way and to prevent it, we created civilization in the first place.

Wasteland 3 from sci-fi horror returned to happy ending fairy tale where love and friendship conquer everything. I mean yea right. I'm not 5 years old kid any more.

This seems very subjective. You may choose to split from an ally in that situation, but that doesn't mean everyone would choose to behave in that same way. Also, the multiplayer mode is entirely optional so all of this is moot if you just choose to play it in single player mode :) You're making Wasteland 3 out to be My Little Pony just because it allows you to team up with another player, which seems quite absurd.

I wonder if they will have rideable horses? Take us up into Wyoming to face some mounted raiders? Could be fun.
They should. Horses also mean food and not having then could feel suspicious. At least those should be mentioned to avoid lackluster.

You're making Wasteland 3 out to be My Little Pony just because it allows you to team up with another player, which seems quite absurd.
Not me. I'm not the developer who's making it My Little Pony. Or even better:

carebears_show_0.jpg

This will be even better than Wasteland 2. And I welcome the two player co-op mode, pretty sure most of us have that one friend we love to do gaming with.

I'm the minority who uses friends to get drunk, stoned or both.
Sometimes my friendship involves dumb chatty or brainstorming over just a coffee, not everyone wants hangovers and not everyone is prepared to risk getting caught.
This bunch of different people is so close to my heart I wouldn't want to lose any of them.

I do play LoL with some other friends, but in fact they aren't really friends, if LoL didn't exist there is no way I'd spend time with them at all and I wouldn't miss these if they went away. The actual reason I'm enjoying LoL is that I adore it's toxic community. Nothing makes me more laughing as curses and deathwishes coming from idiots.
I don't need another LoL nor more Facebook addicts.

I'm the minority. Which doesn't mean I'm not allowed to feel disappointed.

A co-op addition is superb. Literally my only 2 concerns about the game are A) the overall length, and B) the depth of the skill system. With the new "narrow-focused" approach, game length could really suffer. I normally love epic, long RPGs, but for a co-op experience I especially prefer longer RPGs since these are extremely rare on PC. As for the depth, I felt that having many weapon skills and overall skills is a great thing about Wasteland 2 and RPGs like it. I'm in favor of more of this type of stuff, not less, so we'll see what they do.

Last edited:
It shows how much desired a MU option is. Beyond justification from the background story, it means playing a ugoigo turn based product with other players.
If every player takes each time five minutes to think and carry out their moves, it is going to be a long streak of super long products.

It shows how much desired a MU option is. Beyond justification from the background story, it means playing a ugoigo turn based product with other players.
If every player takes each time five minutes to think and carry out their moves, it is going to be a long streak of super long products.

Well, it takes nowhere near 5 minutes to make a move in a game like this. I co-oped through Divinity: Original Sin and it was 140 hours, but combat time was not overly long, the game just had a huge scope and a lot of content, exploration and so on. The things that often take longer in co-op games is inventory management, buying and selling and the like. Not that I'm complaining, I like spending time doing all these things, but generally taking time to make a move is not the most time-consuming thing in games like this. IMO.

Chien only posted so he could type ugoigo, Fluent. If he doesn't type that one word at least once a week it breaks his AI. Chien a voyeur, is nothing if not consistent. ;)

Chien only posted so he could type ugoigo, Fluent. If he doesn't type that one word at least once a week it breaks his AI. Chien a voyeur, is nothing if not consistent. ;)

But with joxers permanent coop, wouldnt that be ugowego?

Turn-based co-op with simultaneous move would be more fun though.

Disagree. You have to watch your co-op partner's moves to make the best tactical move yourself. If everyone is moving at the same time it would be a mess, IMO.

I'm the minority. Which doesn't mean I'm not allowed to feel disappointed.

Not sure why would a game that is still in pre-production get you to feel disappointed.

I don't need another LoL nor more Facebook addicts..

Then perhaps the problem is not with Wasteland 3, but rather with your lifestyle?

I mean if you're still stuck at the weed/LoL phase , that's one thing that could impair your judgement.

Back
Top Bottom