Tales of Berseria

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
A tale of emotion versus reason…

In Tales of Berseria, players embark on a journey of self-discovery as they assume the role of Velvet, a young woman whose once kind demeanor has been replaced and overcome with a festering anger and hatred after a traumatic experience three years prior to the events within Tales of Berseria. Velvet will join a crew of pirates as they sail across the sea and visit the many islands that make up the sacred kingdom of Midgand in an all-new adventure developed by the celebrated team behind the Tales of series. Veteran Tales of character designer Mutsumi Inomata has personally designed Velvet and famous Japanese animation studio, ufotable, returns to animate the game’s breathtaking cutscenes; delivering truly epic and emotional storytelling in their unique style.

More information.

I'm a bit late to respond, but I played this game and I would highly recommend it:)

I've been playing the game for the last week or so, loving it.

It is on my maybe list. Most folks playing it (steam reviews) are positive but there is a big complaint about the drm it uses.

Yea I see their point, but I think the positives outweight the negatives.

Tales of Berseria is a role-playing video game, where players navigate the game's world through the game's characters from a third-person perspective. As with previous Tales games, characters can interact through Skits, animated clips that play outside cutscenes and battle: characters are represented by head-and-shoulder portraits, and conversations can range from serious to comedic. New to the series' Skit systems is a cut-in effect, where at certain moments within skits characters in various poses will appear in response to the dialogue.

Berseria takes places in the Holy Midgand Empire, a powerful country that rules over this world's archipelago of a continent. The game's world is shared with Tales of Zestiria, although the events will occur in the distant past of Zestiria. There are countless numbers of islands around, and Midgand's rule crosses even the seas. Areas of land and islands in the game are divided into "territories."

I am slightly wary of any game selling a "Summer holiday costume pack" for 11.99.

I am slightly wary of any game selling a "Summer holiday costume pack" for 11.99.

Tales of Berseria is a great game. I did a mini-review in the "Last game you finished" thread. JRPGs in general have lots of costume packs, I wouldn't worry about that (and they're totally cosmetic of course). Here's the mini-review copied since this is the game's specific thread:

Just finished Tales of Berseria (played on PS4 but available on PC as well). The story and game in general is SO much better than the much more hyped and higher Metacritic rated Final Fantasy XV. Basically you're a demon who stops at nothing seeking revenge. Awesome and fully developed cast of characters. Good and expansive voice acting (like 10 movies worth of voice I think).

No random encounters, you can save anywhere, enemies only respawn after you leave the 'region' (region is a group of areas) and you can either dodge them if you don't want to fight them, or drink a cheap holy potion and they'll ignore you. Also no grinding needed (I hate grinding with a passion).

The combat system for someone who doesn't like button smashers like me works well, basically instead of having to memorize that square square circle is a high kick and left trigger triangle circle is a heal, you get to customize the buttons for whatever you want on the fly. In my case, since in each area you would find 3-4 different types of enemies, I just set a chain of attacks appropriate for each type on each button, so, say, I find zombies that are weak to fire, I set 4 attacks on 'circle' for powers that are good vs. undead and/or fire based. Problem solved.

Took me 102 hours to finish, doing the main quest and all side quests, with some time spent on mini-games. Loved it!

Wolfling did you use kb/m and if so how was the game without a controller ?
-
bleh you played the ps4 version; ok so it is still unknown if it is ok on the pc or a turd.

Necro because I'm currently playing this game.

Playing with K+M on PC is almost horrible. Almost. It's still not insulting as Neptunia series.

Default keys are outright idiotic. Map scrolling for example needs you to use ijkl instead of wasd or mouse which should be default PC. Same ijkl idiocy is used while you're on hoverboard - you can't look up or down by moving just mouse. Etc.
Key remapping exists, but is outright bugged in several cases, you can't switch enter with space for example as you won't be able to shuffle the party afterwards. Etc.
At least setting map on M works okay. Tested!

Speaking about the map, it's horrible beyond words. You can't clicky clicky, you need to use arrows or hotkeys. For example you need to see what's in some town's inn? Go masochist and press M, then R, then G, then S/W or bottom/up arrow to find a town you want to check, then G again a few times till you get to the map of an inn. Confusing to read? Yea, I know, it's even more confusing who designed it so atrocious in the first place. Fire them!
Unbloodybelievable. If mushroom users need to be tortured, why tf this crap remained in PC port?

Unlike mentioned insulting Neptunia which I stopped playing soon after starting, I'm already 40 hours in Berseria.
The reason is - combat. Which is FF13 style. It's basically click2win no questions asked. Against some bosses and minibosses you'll have to care a bit, but against random trashmobs, no way you can lose (playing on normal).

Now here's the thing, by leveling up all characters learn new moves. And you combine 4 of those moves into one sequence triggered by keyboard/mouse - it's just the game doesn't tell you wtf you need to press, all you see is 4 arrows on the screen and it's not arrows on your keyboard!

What I found out is that the arrow "pointing to the right" sequence (the third from the top) is tied to left mouse. So while in combat, all you need to do is hold the left mouse key and the sequence will play out (well, not completely sometimes, but that's about ingame rules).
Till level 25 or a bit above you can play without changing anything, the game will autofill this sequence, switching some "obsolete" skills with new ones and it does a good job there. But then you should make a combo of your own, a combo good enough to work against practically anything. I use these skills:
1. Soaring Dragon
2. Rising Moon
3. Harsh Rebuttal
4. Slag Assault

At about level 40 you'll get Ceberus Wave which is an imporved Harsh Rebuttal so just put it at 3rd stage instead of HB.

Because of the combat system you'll learn that stun is the most important effect (don't ask, play) that's why I'm running so many stuns. Keep also in mind that some bosses are immune to stun. In that case the only way to restore BG is blocking till you get hit, but even then the combo above will still do devastating damage. Yes, even against trashmobs that are vulnerable only to water (the sequence has no water based skill)!

Went perhaps with too many details, then again I can't know who'll buy this game and do a search here on the forum.

What I wanted to say, UI in this game is generally bad and mushrooms won't help much to enjoy it. Playing with K+M is almost a disaster but is still somehow manageable.

Last edited:
ijkl!!! I remember that sequence from before wasd. It was very common with the editor i used. Hum. Doesn't vi still use ijkl. It does ! Long live ijkl !

LOL
But the problem is this game is emulating mushrooms with wasd and ijkl at the same time - there is no reason not to use wasd on the maps screen but it's disabled there and you have to use ijkl instead just because on phones you'd use, dunno, lefot or right mushrrom in the map screen and that one is emulated with ijkl and not wasd!

If only a modder could fix the horrible UI, the game would feel so much better.

Bah, just get an Xbox controller. I was like you guys, I was like 'Nah! I'm not going to use a console thing in my master PC computer, evah!!!!'. But then I got an Xbox controller included with my Oculus Rift, so now I can happily play a lot of good games I refused to play before. Hell, I then discovered the whole world of emulators so lately I've been playing some good JRPGs for PS2, Gamecube, Wii in my 60" TV and they look surprisingly so good! (with supersampling, anti-aliasing, etc)... and I'm playing them from the comfort of my bed (laptop connected to TV via HDMI).

Back
Top Bottom