Sacred Fire - On Steam Greenlight

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
You can now vote for the psychological RPG, Sacred Fire, on Steam Greenlight. I am not sure what a psychological RPG is, but it is certainly not about psychologists.

Sacred Fire - A Psychological RPG

Poetic Studio's narrative RPG, featuring Doug Cockle (The Witcher 3), enters Steam Greenlight

Banská Bystrica, Slovakia - February 13, 2017/... Independent developer Poetic Studio has announced that its turn-based, psychological RPG Sacred Fire, featuring the vocal talents of Doug Cockle (Geralt from The Witcher 3), has entered Steam Greenlight.

Sacred Fire is a game about survival, power and hope, where players lead a band of resistance fighters in ancient Caledonia, taking on the invading forces of the Roman Empire. Sacred Fire is not just about the outer, physical struggle for survival, but also about gaining political influence and the pursuit of inner balance.

Poetic Studio's ambitious debut, which deliberately avoided a fantasy setting, has already garnered industry interest through its first gameplay teaser, 'Something More', which featured voice actor Doug Cockle. Sacred Fire requires tactical thinking in a story full of risk-based choices and combat. Using Poetic Studio's bespoke Emotions & Motivations storytelling platform, players can resolve conflicts by using a combination of smarts, skill, looks or empathy. To do so, they must build inner balance by coping with fear and anger. Only a stable and strong personality can win respect with bravery in combat and see through the traps set by cunning opponents.

Poetic Studio is preparing a Kickstarter campaign for March of this year. Currently, it is collecting votes on Steam Greenlight.

More information.

That's a shame. I've been waiting for a rpg about psychologists to come out for years. What a tease.

That's a shame. I've been waiting for a rpg about psychologists to come out for years. What a tease.

Psychological "combat" options:

(1) (Standard attack) Ask him what he thinks the problem is

(2) (Powerful attack) Ask him to tell you about his mother

(3) (Buff) Leave him sit in your office where your diplomas and impressive book collection are displayed

(4) (Debuff) Refer him to a psychiatrist for medication

(5) (Insta-Death Spell) Attempt to hypnotize him

(6) (Flee) Inform him that his insurance card has been declined

Imagine the possibilities!

I imagine that an Arkham Asylum: Psychologist game could get pretty interesting. Having regular sessions with The Riddler, Two-Face, Mad Hatter, and the ultimate boss: The Joker, as you try to bring sanity to psychotic super-criminals without them getting angry enough to kill you (or in the Joker's case, considering Harley Quinn: avoiding him convincing you to go insane instead)…

Psychological "combat" options:

(1) (Standard attack) Ask him what he thinks the problem is

(2) (Powerful attack) Ask him to tell you about his mother

(3) (Buff) Leave him sit in your office where your diplomas and impressive book collection are displayed

(4) (Debuff) Refer him to a psychiatrist for medication

(5) (Insta-Death Spell) Attempt to hypnotize him

(6) (Flee) Inform him that his insurance card has been declined

Imagine the possibilities!

That would be some pretty deep combat.

I wonder if it has co-op? They could have it be couples counseling with your spouse.

Their project must be advanced. They are looking for Steam Greenlight before completing their KS campaign. Quite unusual.

Hey, I am the guy behind Sacred Fire,

@daveyd I love that bit about powerful attack :) Damn, I clearly missed the setting choice on this game going with the tribes north from Hadrian's Wall.

@Lynchden sorry, we do not offer couples therapy :)

To clarify what we mean with psychological RPG, and why we feel it's not a stretch, is that we are actually trying to do something new with the fundamental choice & consequence mechanic.

The short answer is a psychological RPG is a RPG where your success and the solutions to conflict lie in the psychology of the characters, not in weapons, attacks and damage types. To elaborate, a typically cRPG involves: choosing a role in combat, exploring world filled with monsters, killing them and collecting rewards/loot and learning new attacks. In Sacred Fire you choose a role in conflict solving (strength, smarts, skill, looks, empathy), you explore NPCs personalities and motives, you overcome your emotions and solve conflicts (if you pass the probability check), collecting insight and developing emotional control and willpower. To sum it up, it's about adding game rules to interpersonal and internal conflicts (relations and your psyche); where normally you have only rules applying to external conflicts (combat). The inspiration for this stems from the Pen & Paper RPG experience, where part of the fun comes from reading people to know whom to trust and staying in-character (so in this sense, we are adding a virtual GM).

Last edited:
Totally uninterested, but I wish you well because you've spent time here at RPGWatch. I think your game will definitely have a market, even if I'm not a member of said group.

In all seriousness, the game sounds / looks rather interesting. I upvoted on Greenlight and created a GiantBomb page for it. I'll probably back it if you offer a DRM free copy.

In all seriousness, the game sounds / looks rather interesting. I upvoted on Greenlight and created a GiantBomb page for it. I'll probably back it if you offer a DRM free copy.

Same here. I already greenlighted it a while ago.
Was there talk of a KS for this, or am I imagining that?

@daveyd Thank you for the upvote and the GiantBomb page, that's nice of you. Yes, we will be offering a way to purchase DRM free.

@wiretripped Thank you for your support. You are correct, a Kickstarter campaign is coming in a few weeks: we are launching the campaign on UPDATE: March the 15th and I am really excited about some of the reward ideas we have come up with for you guys.

We will be offering Early Bird discounts, so if you want to jump in on this, sign up at https://www.sacredfiregame.com/start-the-fire/ and we will notify you when we launch, so you can be the first to grab those limited rewards.

Last edited:
Hey everyone we have some great news:

We have been Greenlit today, thank you all for your fantastic support!

It took 32 days and almost 4,000 YES votes. We are grateful and happy, it brings us one step closer to releasing the game.

We are also hard at work on our crowdfunding campaign. Based on your feedback we realized there is more we can do for the Kickstarter. Besides many tweaks based on your input, we are preparing an in-depth developer commentary video. We pushed back the launch of the campaign one week to get things right. I hope this doesn't affect anyone negatively.

We launch on Kickstarter on March the 15th.

We have some fantastic rewards lined up, including a voicemail greeting with your name in the famed voice by Doug Cockle, also known as Geralt of Rivia.

Hey everyone,

sorry for going radio silent in the last couple of weeks, we were preparing a fun campaign for you guys :)

The big day is here and we are live on Kickstarter!

8xt5BZM.jpg

We have also a developers' commentary video that defines what kind of role-playing experience Sacred Fire brings. We are looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thank you for your support, we appreciate every fan.

Check out the limited rewards before they are gone.

Back
Top Bottom