Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Glixel reports that Bethesda Softworks is working on three new projects:

Bethesda has three new projects in the works

Two of them are "classically" Bethesda.

[...]

Todd Howard:

"We've got a good number of projects on the go," he said. "We're bigger now and we do want to be putting out more stuff. We have two larger projects that are more classically the scale of what we do, but even bigger. We overlap the projects so we're working on them at the same time, but they're staggered," he teased. "I can't talk a lot about them, but I can say that they're bigger than anything we've ever done. They're a bit different, but definitely in the wheelhouse that people are used to from us."

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Well I guess for both Fallout and TES it's not a question if but when they'll release successors.

Hopefully bigger this time means bigger and better storylines and quests, not just even bigger empty pointless areas to explore.

Last edited:
Hopefully bigger this times means bigger and better storylines and quests, not just even bigger empty pointless areas to explore.

Well...they've actually made the world smaller with every iteration so who knows what he means?

Like Morrandir says the next Fallout title and the next TES title should be what he's referring to, I can't really see the point in him not being open about that (Do they think we'll be surprised?). A mobile game? Couldn't care less. There are some great titles out there for mobile gaming, but I've yet to see one from a big developer that isn't all about IAP and pumping Whales for all they've got.

New Vegas sequel is the only third project I care about, but he could mean another craptastic id engine game like doom 10k.

Bethesda's working on some games! This is great news as I've heard bioware, CDPR and other development studios are also working on games. So I guess some time in the future we'll have more games.

I'm off to celebrate this most unexpected news.:party2: :D

"We have two larger projects that are more classically the scale of what we do, but even buggier."

Almost had us fooled. :p

I wonder if the generally awful reviews for Fallout 4 will inspire them to infuse their future RPGs with actual RPG mechanics.

Nah. $$$

I'm pretty sure Oblivion was slightly larger than Morrowind, and Skyrim was slightly larger than Oblivion. FO4 is definitely bigger than FO3.

Are you sure? I remember reading that the map in Oblivion is smaller than the one in Morrowind, and Skyrim smaller than Oblivion? Of course in this case I would say size doesn't matter unless you want an actual hiking simulator, and if we're talking content I believe you're right. But I'm pretty sure the square km has been decreasing with every game.

I might be wrong though, it has happened before (although very rarely. ;) )

Last edited:
Just get a mod that scales the hero down to ant size, and suddenly the world is a 100 times bigger.

Are you sure? I remember reading that the map in Oblivion is smaller than the one in Morrowind, and Skyrim smaller than Oblivion? Of course in this case I would day size doesn't matter unless you want an actual hiking simulator, and if we're talking content I believe you're right. But I'm pretty sure the square km has been decreasing with every game.

I might be wrong though, it has happened before (although very rarely. ;) )

I, too, thought the same thing but I could be wrong also. In my mind at least, Morrowind felt bigger but that's probably just because it was my favourite of the three.

It is rather simple, I think.
Morrowind felt big because it was filled with interesting landscape and locations. Most locations also made sense within their world.

Oblivion felt empty because no matter how big it was, all of it felt incredibly samey and uninteresting. All of the locations felt incredibly disconnected. More like a theme park than a coherent world.

Skyrim was a mixture. Empty in places, other places interesting. Some things made sense, some were just theme park nonsense.

Fallout 4 was the biggest disconnected theme park to ever be released. Full of locations that seemed interesting on their own, but nothing made any sense in the context of the world.

Bethesda's working on some games! This is great news as I've heard bioware, CDPR and other development studios are also working on games. So I guess some time in the future we'll have more games.

I'm off to celebrate this most unexpected news.:party2: :D

I approve of your sarcasm. :lol:

Fallout VR and Skyrim for the Nintendo Switch are probably two of the projects. Dunno if they're working on F5 or ES VI otherwise.

It is rather simple, I think.
Morrowind felt big because it was filled with interesting landscape and locations. Most locations also made sense within their world.

Oblivion felt empty because no matter how big it was, all of it felt incredibly samey and uninteresting. All of the locations felt incredibly disconnected. More like a theme park than a coherent world.

Skyrim was a mixture. Empty in places, other places interesting. Some things made sense, some were just theme park nonsense.

Fallout 4 was the biggest disconnected theme park to ever be released. Full of locations that seemed interesting on their own, but nothing made any sense in the context of the world.

While I agree with your opinion, what I'm referring to its a developer talking about world size of Skyrim before release, and he was actually saying it was in fact (in land mass) smaller than Oblivion which was smaller than Morrowind which was most certainly smaller than the biggest game ever Daggerfall. I'll have to see if I can find the reference.

EDIT: Found this http://m.imgur.com/B7rBN?r
If correct Oblivion is in fact the biggest of the three while Morrowind is the smallest. And Daggerfall is...huge. But probably shouldn't actually count.

Arena II.

Wouldn't that be something? Arena was all of Tamriel, but you couldn't wander iirc. You were just transported from dungeon to dungeon. I vaguely remember having to collect a bunch of artifacts or something to deal with Big Foozle. Arena II might just be a better name for ESO :)

Arena wasn't horseriding/walking simulator. So - no.

Back
Top Bottom