Ubisoft - Avatar Game announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCGamesN reports that Ubisoft is developing a game in the Avatar-universe - let's hope that it's an alien RPG like Blue Bytes's Albion:

Ubisoft announce new triple-A Avatar game developed with James Cameron and Lightstorm

Massive Entertainment, developers of The Division, are working with James Cameron’s film production company, Lightstorm Entertainment, to create a new game set in the Avatar universe.

The project is yet to be titled, and Ubisoft say that they currently aren’t even discussing specifics such as genre, but it is going to be a triple-A title that releases on both PC and console.

“It should be the ultimate experience, where you actually go to Pandora and where you can live an alternative life on the moon,” says Magnus Jansen, creative director at Massive. Presumably he’s talking figuratively here, unless the game is going to have one hell of a pre-order bonus…

[...]
More information.

Not sure what I think about this… Avatar is probably my favorite movie and if done right, a game based in that universe could be pretty cool. However these types of games often suck. Flip side-- Ubisoft can make a decent game and James Cameron can do anything.

It needs to be in VR, tho.

This is the perfect game for Ubisoft.
Since the whole AC franchise is a game playing a avatar, playing an in-game avatar.
Or,is it like that in all of AC? I don't really know.
Only played the first AC a little bit,but it was horrible...but it is Ubisoft after all.

Sure it will be awesome to do the "Leap of Faith" on the gorgeous Pandora.
But,I wouldn't mind if whole Ubisoft leap of faith jumps into oblivion. :)

Games based on movies rarely seem to turn out well, and vice versa.

Oooh, tattoo microtransactions!

Avatar is a great movie, could be interesting, but likely heavily MP oriented.

I hated Avatar. This got my wondering about other James Cameron films, so I looked them up. (I had no idea Avatar 2-5 had been announced, with three of them in pre-production.)

Titanic: I didn't have to look up his directing credits to remember he made this abomination. This is on my list of most-hated movies. True Lies: thumbs down, way down. I liked the first Termintor movie -- the others, not so much. The Abyss: Liked this one. It's been a while, but I think I liked it a good bit. Aliens: Not as good as the first, but it's the next best one.

For me, it's either one extreme or the other with Cameron flicks.

I think Ubisoft will deliver on this one:) Absolutely loved the movie, can't wait to play the game.

I hated Avatar. This got my wondering about other James Cameron films, so I looked them up. (I had no idea Avatar 2-5 had been announced, with three of them in pre-production.)

Titanic: I didn't have to look up his directing credits to remember he made this abomination. This is on my list of most-hated movies. True Lies: thumbs down, way down. I liked the first Termintor movie -- the others, not so much. The Abyss: Liked this one. It's been a while, but I think I liked it a good bit. Aliens: Not as good as the first, but it's the next best one.

For me, it's either one extreme or the other with Cameron flicks.

Avatar was so bad that it almost made Titanic seem entertaining.

Man, I wish I never spent money on this abomination of a movie. Its not only derivative of his own work but rips off Edgar Rice Burroughs and Ursula K. Le Guin, the woman who practically invented new age.

Aliens - great!
Terminator - great!
Terminator 2 - garbage, never saw the other ones.
Titanic - great! However, I'm sure its better if you're a chick.
Abyss - a 17 year old wrote it
Battle Beyond the Stars? - Awesome!

My guess this will be another gathering/crafting game.

I sure that this game will set standards for bad writing and story for many years to come.

Geez… So much… Slapping? :)
Ok who numbered 'em up… So you see some different tastes.

Man, I wish I never spent money on this abomination of a movie. Its not only derivative of his own work but rips off Edgar Rice Burroughs and Ursula K. Le Guin, the woman who practically invented new age.

Aliens - great!
Terminator - great!
Terminator 2 - garbage, never saw the other ones.
Titanic - great! However, I'm sure its better if you're a chick.
Abyss - a 17 year old wrote it
Battle Beyond the Stars? - Awesome!

Battle Beyond the Stars was Cameron? Take Kurosawa's masterpiece Seven Samurai, put it in a western setting and you get yourself a great movie called Magnificent Seven. Or take that same Kurosawa and put in sci-fi setting, it just can't miss, and because of low budget this movie is practically a cult classic. A rip off yes, but not insulting to original and fun all the way.

Piranha Part Two: The Spawning is one of the worst movies ever made, not the worst however, Cameron got lucky and someone made Ankle Biters. Not fun at all.

Aliens is a sci-fi shooter. There is no boring filler like Mass Effect 2 sonar and the movie is not a shocker as the first one, but again fun all the way.

Terminator and Terminator 2, if you don't like one of these or both, I don't think you should continue watching action movies. Sorry. Both movies were robophobic action sci fi and again fun all the way.

Abyss was a pure gem, one of rare movies back then where aliens weren't hostile and weren't trashy tomatoes from outer space. Fun all the way? To me it was.

True Lies is one of those movies that, after watching it, makes you feel happy. Dunno how and why. Again action, not sci fi this time, lot's of comedy and parody, IMO this is the best Cameron's movie ever and a musthave in your home DVD collection.

Titanic is the only Cameron's movie I haven't watched. I belong to the minority of 100 people who refused to watch the obvious milking scamware. About this one I know it's not sci fi and it's not action. The script probably escaped some soap TV series and got a huge budget. I'll never touch this fiction as it most definetly didn't disclose the real reason of the catastrophe and why ice could break the hull in the first place - covered up ongoing fire while Titanic was "setting sails". I'm sick of Hollywood's so called based on truth movies that are so far from reality I'm avoiding those like a plague.

Avatar is again action in sci fi setting and as someone already hinted, it's VR use only not with digital bodies. And it's not the only movie with "dolls" people control (Surrogates were filmed in that same year). This movie contains the best scene ever that's definetly real (Sigourney Weaver returning to her real body and asking for something fast). And again, it's fun all the way.

Sum up? No Cameron's movie I watched is a masterpiece but they're all fun and not boring drama. Cameron is not Jodorowsky, is not Vehlmann and is not Kubrick. If you don't care for action and searched for deep thinking, puzzles, mindfuck and general brain food in his movies, I'm not even sure why you watched them. Because of marketing? Because of low IQ friends that suggested them as they can understand those? Why are you watching movies you know you most probably won't like? It's like buying Mass Effect 2 knowing it's a shooter with boring sonar then spitting on it because it's not, for example, a spaceship driving simulator.

-

But people, it's all off topic. The topic is some Avatar game. It's based on some movie, but it's not a movie, it's a game. So let's forget the movie. Let's concentrate on what matters here.

Ubisoft.

Can Ubisoft make a visually great game? Absolutely can. Except so far they still make horrible hair.
Can Ubisoft make a game with no boring filler? Generally, no, they can't.
Does Ubisoft know what RPG is? Division. Ubisoft marketed that MMO trash as RPG.
Will the game be several different editions, season pass scam and microtransactions? Most probably will.

I'm a graphics whore but I'm not buying.

I must be a minority; but I liked both Titanic and Avatar; I have to admit that part of the love for Avatar was the 3d effect (first 3d movie i saw that really used 3d well; sort of like the first star wars movie; when I saw it it was amazing; walked in while the ships were attacking princes l's ship; today when I see it - well it is pretty crappy but back then it was like WOW). having seen avatar on tv it isn't the best movie but i loved it the first time i saw it (like star wars).
-
Anyways on to the game. Even if the game is great it is a ubisoft game and that is enough for me to forget about. I'll moan about EA but to be honest they aren't the pits; ubisoft is the pits period.

I quite liked the Avatar movie. Story was predictable and especially the military boss was exaggerated but I liked the effects and the depiction of the tribe-like Na'vi culture which has strong similarities to the wood elf culture in The Dark Eye setting.

A computer game… well have they ever developed a remarkable RPG?
With a still popular franchise as Avatar I don't think that they'll make a meaty RPG. My guess would be some action game with RPG elements.

The first Terminator movie may be my favorite movie of all time. Cameron used to be awesome - and then he made Titanic. Avatar was OK but highly overrated. Surprised no one has mentioned the virtually identical storyline to Pocahontas yet - worth googling if you never heard about this. If this were a Terminator game along the lines of Terminator Future Shock, I would be so psyched - but instead, like any news about what Jon Van Caneghem is doing now, it just makes me a little sad...

... Avatar is probably my favorite movie...

What were the other options? Adam Sandler's movies? 'Cause that's the only scenario I could understand.

It's going to be The Division in the jungle, with giant smurfs and micro transactions. I have foreseen it.

I quite liked the Avatar movie. Story was predictable and especially the military boss was exaggerated but I liked the effects and the depiction of the tribe-like Na'vi culture which has strong similarities to the wood elf culture in The Dark Eye setting.

I agree about the Na'vi; the depiction of their culture in this setting was the best part of the movie. If the developers completely ignore the movie plot, then there's potential for an interesting game. We probably won't get one though.

Back
Top Bottom