ELEX - Delayed to Q3 2017

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted on WoE that the release of ELEX has been delayed to Q3 2017:

In a press release from THQ Nordic about the PAX East in Boston, a new release date for Elex was mentioned. According to THQ Nordic, Piranha Bytes new RPG will be released not until Q3 2017, which means July, August or September. [...]
More information.

Because this has a decent chance to flop already due to awkwardly solid, heavy, and outdated combat, and generic, boring gameplay, it figures they're trying to avoid the launches of concurrent titles that could burry it further.

LOL
I've posted right now that Square Enix is trying to compete with ME4 hype and is releasing their game at almost the same date.
Nordic Games seem smarter than that.

To be honest I'd still buy Elex before ME4, but I'm the minority.

I don't mind it being delayed. Just release it when it's done.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll buy this either way. I've stopped caring about delays, I've got more games than I've got time to play them anyway.

Good thing they're not rushing it. They have one chance to do this right.

I belive pbs are on a good track. This time around they have actually been collecting feedback from gameshows and so forth, so they likely know better which features work and which features need more polish etc.

As a whole the game is shaping up really nicely, but the big challenge for them is ofcourse the game balance and making sure the game is both fun and rewarding to play.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed again. In fact, I expect it to. It's still in Alpha, and it looks like it has a long way to go yet. I think it'll be closer to the holidays.

From watching the video I think this is a good call, maybe to q3 2018.

It's getting more likely that I'll be able to pick this one up for next summer holidays, which is when I've largely played Risen 1-3 in the past. All the best to PB for a smooth working schedule. I'm more than patient enough to wait until it is ready.

Piranha Bytes games have always been really buggy, at least all the ones I've played when they first came out. A few extra months can't hurt for more stable game. I still don't know about this weird setting but I love these types of games so I'm sure I'll pick it up whenever in Q3 it comes out.

, and outdated combat, and generic, boring gameplay

How many hours have played it for considering it does not even have a external beta? Or is this just another one of your typical BS posts?

Going by the videos we have seen so far the combat does look awkward. ELEX probably needs the extra time to get the various systems and world design in order.

The game does indeed need time to improve on many things i've seen in the videos so far so a delay will do good.

I expect combat to get a bit better by launch, although it was never their strong suit. Their gameplay though was never generic and boring, at least not to me.

Press releases are meaningless as they never say why the games gets delayed. Though in this case it's probably because of the latest Mass Effect, and other competition.

It could also be due to the latest version of Denuvo Anti-Tamper. As the current version has been mostly bypassed by a certain pirate group, and the company isn't thrilled.

The war between pirates and publishers truly is never-ending. I’m sure neither side is going to be happy until we live a post-apocalyptic landscape in which open-source warriors do battle with DRM bandits, each looking to make the other pay for their copyright/rights infringing ways. For now we welcome the return of Denuvo anti-tamper DRM, which has been totally overhauled following the remarkably quick cracking of Resident Evil 7.

Just when you thought Denuvo had been busted wide open, the anti-tamper technology promises to make the process of cracking even trickier and more laborious. The old bootloader is being removed and it will now use a self-made VM (virtual machine) instead of VmProtect, as well as adding calls for "cpuid/Kuser)_shared_date" after initialization.

In essence this means Denuvo games could once more take months to crack.
Back when the RE7 crack first appeared, Denuvo issued a statement saying “As always, we continue working to improve our solution to create security updates for upcoming Anti-Tamper versions. We will do the same with the learning from this bypass.” True to their word, here it is. Considering Resident Evil 7 was cracked just over a week ago the turnaround is certainly impressive.

The worry here is that the new, more secure version of Denuvo is even more intrusive than its current iteration. This could have a knock-on performance impact for legitimate users as Denuvo will constantly be making calls to its host server. Ultimately pirates will always find a way to make it work, however it's to the detriment of everyone else who just wants to buy a game legally and play it.

The new, ultra-secure form of Denuvo will be ready to roll out alongside Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 in April. It’s still unclear what other games are going to make use of it, although I’d imagine some of the bigger publishers are going to be tempted to take a wait and see approach with this latest version, particularly after it emerged Denuvo couldn’t even keep its own emails secure.
Elex has already been confirmed to use Denuvo. As most AAA PC games do nowadays.

Last edited:
Problem is that PB was allways using customers as beta testers.
No release, no tests, no patches.

The biggest problem I have this is that it heavily penalizes legit customers. I think it was cdprojek who found that it was more effective to release a good game without drm than a game with drm that had a lot of problems. I have never pirated a game but i have stopped buying games with shitty drm and lousy publishers. 'shitty drm' means drm that causes issues running the game (slow down, crashes, cease to work if internet is down, ...). If the drm is non intrusive then I could care less if it has drm.

Press releases are meaningless as they never say why the games gets delayed. Though in this case it's probably because of the latest Mass Effect, and other competition.

It could also be due to the latest version of Denuvo Anti-Tamper. As the current version has been mostly bypassed by a certain pirate group, and the company isn't thrilled.

The war between pirates and publishers truly is never-ending. I’m sure neither side is going to be happy until we live a post-apocalyptic landscape in which open-source warriors do battle with DRM bandits, each looking to make the other pay for their copyright/rights infringing ways. For now we welcome the return of Denuvo anti-tamper DRM, which has been totally overhauled following the remarkably quick cracking of Resident Evil 7.

Just when you thought Denuvo had been busted wide open, the anti-tamper technology promises to make the process of cracking even trickier and more laborious. The old bootloader is being removed and it will now use a self-made VM (virtual machine) instead of VmProtect, as well as adding calls for "cpuid/Kuser)_shared_date" after initialization.

In essence this means Denuvo games could once more take months to crack.
Back when the RE7 crack first appeared, Denuvo issued a statement saying “As always, we continue working to improve our solution to create security updates for upcoming Anti-Tamper versions. We will do the same with the learning from this bypass.” True to their word, here it is. Considering Resident Evil 7 was cracked just over a week ago the turnaround is certainly impressive.

The worry here is that the new, more secure version of Denuvo is even more intrusive than its current iteration. This could have a knock-on performance impact for legitimate users as Denuvo will constantly be making calls to its host server. Ultimately pirates will always find a way to make it work, however it's to the detriment of everyone else who just wants to buy a game legally and play it.

The new, ultra-secure form of Denuvo will be ready to roll out alongside Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 in April. It’s still unclear what other games are going to make use of it, although I’d imagine some of the bigger publishers are going to be tempted to take a wait and see approach with this latest version, particularly after it emerged Denuvo couldn’t even keep its own emails secure.
Elex has already been confirmed to use Denuvo. As most AAA PC games do nowadays.

PB was always pretty damn odd as developer. Where's that famous German organization and punctuality? :p

For a while, ive been fine with any game getting delayed until 2018.

Thats when my son starts school and its time to start playing the hell out of every game ive missed out on for the past 4 years...

...being a dad/gamer ain't easy...

Back
Top Bottom