Stonekeep - On Steam now

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The dungeon crawler Stonekeep is now available on Steam:

About Stonekeep: Immerse yourself in an epic experience more powerful and realistic than anything you've imagined. Using innovative technology Stonekeep draws you into its dark reaches so completely you'll forget it's just a game. Your feet will walk the ancient corridors. Your hands will wield weapons of metal and magic. You'll battle disembodied foes, rescue your allies from evil, liberate a massive dragon from bondage and discover an experience more realistic than you expected.

Step into the mystery of Stonekeep and begin a quest through dark corridors, treacherous sewers and subterranean realms of faeries, magic and the living dead. You'll discover a world where darkness reigns and where you become part of a detailed story line that unfolds at your command. Defeat evil, reclaim your immortal soul and experience an adventure you will never forget.

• Reader's Choice Role-Playing Game Of the Year in 1996 (Computer Gaming World)
  • Journey through many fantasy locations like Fairy Land or a goblin-infested castle
  • Created by Christopher Taylor, one of the designers of Fallout and Fallout 2
More information.

Probably my favorite Dungeon Crawler, together with Lands of Lore 1.
Already got it via GoG (and retail) though.
Guess the steam version is using DosBox as well?

Same, have had it via GoG for years, now. I'm glad to see Steam getting on board with the older great games though, cannot ever have them on too many venues imo. Matter of fact I replayed this fine gem for the umpteenth time just last summer.

I loved that game. Wasn't there supposed to be a second game? Or was just wishful thinking on my part?

I loved that game. Wasn't there supposed to be a second game? Or was just wishful thinking on my part?

Yub :(

Stonekeep 2: Godmaker is a Role-Playing game, developed by Black Isle Studios and published by Interplay, which was cancelled before it was released.

Awesome ... reinstalling my GoG version now :)

Then Stonekeep 2 would be developed by Black Isle Studios ?? Oh God, a pity it was cancelled :(

I played this one!! I had the old boxed edition, which came with a book. I did read it (today I don't remember the story quite well) but I could never connect the book's story to the game's, but back then I suspect my domain of English language wasn't even near what it is today. Not that it's perfect today :p

I remember a character, maybe the game's main enemy, which did cast some spells/whatever on us and always escaped saying something like "See yaaaaaaa!"

Hmm, another future candidate for a Fluent Controls Steam Controller configuration. Updated my .txt. :p

I had a lot of good fun playing Stonekeep even though it was buggy at release.

Good news, but Steam has never been very supportive of older games. Too bad Steam doesn't really employ people for Support, to Patch Fix older games for modern systems. GOG has always done a better job and it's a great reason to support them.

Edit: Iirc, almost everyone (if not everyone working at Interplay from 1991 to 1995) worked on Stonekeep at one time or another. At one point they had something like 200 people working on this game.

ChrisT did this? Awesome.

$9.99 is quite a lot to charge for a 90's game (even though it is "on sale" for $6.99, which is STILL a lot to charge for a 90's game).

I don't know, but maybe it's difficult to find it anywhere else. And in a stable form. I love GoG as a platform and everything below 10 euro is a good deal for a classic imho. I remember this game as a kid, but didn't play it.

At the time, I didn't care for this. It seemed to be very hyped, and when it arrived, it felt quite primitive and dull compared to other RPGs (even from same publisher, Interplay) that were available. I may also have been caught up in the early 3DFX craze, but I can't recall. My recollection of the game is "full screen eye-of-the-beholder clone, with stupid acting/voice".

A couple of years later, I gave it another try, and found it had a lot more interaction, depth and plot than I first gave it credit for. There were some good puzzles, and the game did some quite imaginitive stuff. I don't think I actually finished it, but I remember (I think) freeing the dragon (I certainly remember the dragon), and was probably 75-80% complete I think.

Back in the 90s not everybody praised Stonekeep: Gamespot

Stonekeep did not get good reviews in france either in the 90's , it was a simplistic dungeon master clone, technically not outstanding , and of course no where close to the competition like wizardry 7.

I never liked the use of pixelated live action graphics using real movie clips and actors. That kind of ruined this game for me. Handful of games did this in the same era and I always thought it looked terrible.

I never liked the use of pixelated live action graphics using real movie clips and actors. That kind of ruined this game for me. Handful of games did this in the same era and I always thought it looked terrible.

While the live action movie clips and such are hilarious to look back on now (character portraits in M&M VI are wonderfully cheesy :p), graphics never have really ruined an RPG for me. I've played everything from isometric RPGs to over-the-top JRPGs with a heavy anime influence. As long as the RPG elements are there, I'm game for it. Variety is the spice of life and all that. :)

I had somewhat of a similar experience to Irien above. The game was very hyped and I think delayed (seems to be a trend), and once it was finally released I was underwhelmed at first. However, it was interesting enough that I stuck with it and I ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom