Grimoire - On Steam Greenlight

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Grimoire has arrived on Steam Greenlight, with a modified video.

The ultimate classic style turn-based fantasy roleplaying game is now up in the workshop for Steam Greenlight! Try to stay calm! This may in fact be a harbinger of the apocalypse and the possible end of civilization as we know it! However, you will be able to play Grimoire soon no matter what happens, so no need to worry about anything ever again!!!
More information.

Oh Cleve, you crazy son of a bitch ! If only to know what is going on inside of your brain box. What wondrous and frightening things we would find.

Cleve you magnificient crazy racist neanderthal, you did it! YOU FINALLY DID IT!

The record for game with the longest development cycle will never be broken. Cleve has even basically confirmed on the Codex thread that whatever he releases on Steam will not be the final version:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
The plan is to release it on Steam and let it percolate for a while. Tweak it in response to feedback and add improvements not present in it initially, like new graphics and gui widgets here and there.

Once it has seasoned like a fine wine and brought much happiness, a new release on GOG with all new map areas, enhanced gameplay and features as the "El Maximo Food Of Champions" Grimoire.

No matter what happens, only the IndieGoGo backers will get those particular limited editions sets physical media. No further printing of those materials will ever happen again once they are shipped out to backers.

So we can assume that if Greenlit he will either release absolutely nothing, or release a beta on Steam Early Access. Maybe both!

Why? The game is so outdated at this point, I can't see it really appealing to anyone other than those looking for an extremely retro experience.

But, but, but!? It was never supposed to be released...

Bet it just Cleve getting a final laugh at all of us ;)

If the game is real there are other ways for him to release it besides on Steam. Given the game's extremely dubious history, I'd need to see some evidence that Cleve is actually telling the truth this time (as opposed to the last 100 times) before I'd remotely consider voting to give it more exposure.

Why? The game is so outdated at this point, I can't see it really appealing to anyone other than those looking for an extremely retro experience.

To force Cleve to put his cards on the table.

Every game gets greenlit. The question is only if sooner or later.

Of course I will greenlight it. Even if there's less than a 1% chance of getting a good game, what - exactly - would be the downside?

Tweak it in response to feedback and add improvements not present in it initially, like new graphics and gui widgets here and there.

He hasn't actually responded to well to feedback over the last twenty years so how is that going to work?
Actually this game could be worth the Steam forum flameouts that are coming.
Cleve will make Derek Smart look like an amateur.

It looks like the Greenlight forums are already blowing up and Cleve is in rare form.

I took infrequent bathroom breaks and sometimes halted work to watch several episodes of QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY. Other than that I was in front of the computer that entire time, including sleeping. I was considering having my wife hold a bedpan behind me like that episode of South Park but then I discovered adult diapers and increased my productivity tenfold.

Cleve is such a demigod!

Last edited:
4 years ago I was one of the 159 backers of this project. I still hope it gets released someday, because I'm a big Wizardry fan.

It took me a nanosecond to vote Yes for Grimoire. If this title actually makes it onto Steam for sale, it is a must-buy for me. Right up my alley. Great stuff. BTW, the Grimoire Steam comment forums are on fire right now ! Excellent reading !

I'm not going to bother to vote, Cleve isn't worth it.

I find all this apparent controversy surrounding this guy and his game to be pretty amusing...never really paid attention to it, except for random comments I would see here from time to time.

*Mini Political Rant On*
I will say when I read in another thread that he has been accused of "hate speech" and being a racist, well, that kinda makes me start to like the guy... :p (I'm hardcore anti-political correctness, especially in recent years - its gotten way out of hand. These days it seems accusations of hate speech and racism are merely used by some people in place of saying - "I disagree with your political opinions")
*Rant Off*

Anyway, not voting for it just because I'm not into games *this* retro...I want graphics at least on par with the Baldur's Gate games, not graphics and tech that look like its from the early 1990s. I'm an old school type gamer, true, but not one who doesn't care about graphics at all - yes, they are important. Technology is important, dammit! :biggrin: Cutting edge graphics and tech combined with all the best elements from the classic rpgs, that is my ideal.

That said, I'm sure there are gamers out there who will appreciate the type of older game on offer here.

You'd be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom