Steam - Revamping Game Recommendations

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PCGamer Valve has met with Total Biscuit and Jim Stirling about its intended changes to game recommendations and how to combat 'fake' games.

Probably the biggest front-facing change will be the addition of "Steam Explorers," an opt-in system in which users buy a game from a pre-selected list, then play and evaluate it based on various criteria. The games will have to be purchased, but Valve is considering "perks" for members of the program including unique badges, access to exclusive forums, and no-strings-attached refunds (one per week) which will make "explored" games not too terribly different from conventional review copies. The idea is apparently to come up with something more akin to what Valve originally had in mind for Steam Greenlight, but with more incentive for those taking part to approach it actively and seriously, thereby making it a more effective system for separating the wheat from the crapola.

Valve is also looking at changes to the Steam curators system to increase its functionality and "make curation a rewarding and useful experience." It wants to give curators the ability to put together "collections"-TotalBiscuit noted that he currently cannot create a list of his top ten games for 2016 and display it at the top of his curator's page, which by all rights should be a very simple and obvious thing for a curator to do-and is also looking at a level system for curators, with various unlockable perks.

Significant for developers is a plan for an integrated "key mailer system" that will enable studios to give games to Steam users without the need for Steam keys. That will presumably simplify the process of getting games into the right hands, but it will also help cut down on Steam key fraud.

[...]
More information.

Badges motivate people? To spend money? Hmm, well then we'll get a bunch of reviews from people who like badges.

This is super dumb. You have to pay money to have a job. Which doesn't pay!

giphy.gif

Steam religion by 2030?

They are entitled to try selling us cat in the bag. And we are entitled to laugh in their faces. :biggrin:

I am in favor of improving the Curator system. I think it's a cool system and I enjoy doing mine, so if they add new features like Top 10 lists and what not, even better.

thereby making it a more effective system for separating the wheat from the crapola.
There has been crapola. Piece of news.

Players, in order to funnel money to support the product they want to be finished, write positive reviews, the more money to the devs, the higher the chances to complete the product.
Once the product dev is over, the trend is inverted: players seeing the product is not going to be delivered as they wish it to be, write negative reviews.

This will change nothing.

There has been crapola. Piece of news.

Players, in order to funnel money to support the product they want to be finished, write positive reviews, the more money to the devs, the higher the chances to complete the product.
Once the product dev is over, the trend is inverted: players seeing the product is not going to be delivered as they wish it to be, write negative reviews.

This will change nothing.

I agree with you as far as early access games go. However, things like bad RPGmaker games or cell phone ports may be funneled out through this process.

Back
Top Bottom