Wasteland 3 - Fig Update

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Some new ideas for Wasteland 3 are getting implemented:

All Work and (Some) Play

As we go deeper into pre-production and the Colorado wasteland continues to take shape, we want to keep showing you some of the unique areas our writers and level designers are developing. Below, we have a few (spoiler-free!) details on the Stanley Hotel, a Colorado locale that inspired Stephen King's The Shining as well as our own writer, Colin McComb. He's been working with the rest of the team on the design of the zone, and we're ready to share how it fits into Wasteland 3. Additionally, we have a new concept render from the Bischoff brothers. We continue to use these pieces to flesh out our art direction, so we're excited to share them with you.

Speaking of art, let me briefly touch on some of the progress our team has been making in that department. We've mentioned in the previous updates that a huge focus for us during preproduction is prototyping our systems and engineering needs. Art has similarly been hard at work on figuring out Wasteland 3's aesthetics and pipelines, and our technical artist, Joey Betz, has also been developing tools and algorithms for snow.

For example, Joey has been working on slope based algorithms, which basically tells the engine to take our snow materials and only "paint" them on the top of objects (like cars, roofs, etc.), thin out based on the steepness of the slope they're on, and not appear at all on the bottom. He has also implemented a nice wetness algorithm, which works out melting snow on different surfaces. These subtle tech solutions are huge strides for us, as they allow our artists and level designers to do a great deal more with the many snow-heavy areas we are creating.

[...]
Thanks, henriquejr!

More information.

We're in strange times for games. While I've been complaining that games haven't been growing with me and how I don't want to rebuy the same game every year it appears as though I'm, as usual, in the minority.

If we look at Diablo 3 with its 4/10 user score or more recently Dawn of War 3 with its 52% steam score, it really does seem like people ONLY want to buy the same game every year. Both games are arguably the best in their genre.

Applying this to wasteland 3, which is doing some groundbreaking things with persistent online saves that allow multiple users to play in the same world without needing the other players to be online, this game is probably going to be a flop with the user reviews. Singleplayer enthusiasts will say its not a real SP game, multiplayer enthusiasts will say its not a real MP game, neither will buy it.

The future of gaming is DLC and reboots of games which require no skill like survival shooters where you sneak around until you find someone to shoot in the back, or Call of Duty with its "smart" respawning that spawns you directly behind someone when it notices you're not getting any kills.

Shame on you all for your lack of interest in the most exciting RPG evolution since Divinity: Original Sin!

@SirJames
Potentially the game will be very good. We will have to see how things pan out but I still have some optimism. Hopefully InXile focus in on the gameplay this time and get that feeling right.

Diablo 3 best in its genre? Really? :lol:

Applying this to wasteland 3, which is doing some groundbreaking things with persistent online saves that allow multiple users to play in the same world without needing the other players to be online, this game is probably going to be a flop with the user reviews. Singleplayer enthusiasts will say its not a real SP game, multiplayer enthusiasts will say its not a real MP game, neither will buy it.
Actual gameplay for single-player players will suffer from them spending a large chunk of their budget on multi-player-related work and issues. And if single-player players end up being disappointed by the game, it's likely they'll blame it on that, and perhaps quite rightfully so.

CRPG players want to shape their stroy/the world/etc. themselves through their decisions. This inherently mandates a good singleplayer mode. Multiplayer features are just an addition SOME people would like.

If InXile takes away from SP to go MP I'm pretty sure they will pay a heavy price. I have yet to see a SP game that has gained from MP regarding the SP mode. Quite the contrary! If I want MP RPG there are enough MMORPGs around.

@Darkheart
I'm thinking they are emulating D:OS approach rather than a MMORPG. At least thats what I hope anyways. I don't think InXile have the resources for a full MMORPG tilt anyways even if they wanted to.

CRPG players want to shape their stroy/the world/etc. themselves through their decisions. This inherently mandates a good singleplayer mode. Multiplayer features are just an addition SOME people would like.

If InXile takes away from SP to go MP I'm pretty sure they will pay a heavy price. I have yet to see a SP game that has gained from MP regarding the SP mode. Quite the contrary! If I want MP RPG there are enough MMORPGs around.

There's no reason you couldn't shape the world in cooperative multiplayer.

inXile nowadays is like US presidents in succession: They promise the sky and earth and deliver a dump heap.

A SP gameplay and a MU gameplay are rarely fully compatible. Either one or the other is given priority.

Shame on you all for your lack of interest in the most exciting RPG evolution since Divinity: Original Sin!

Maybe because most of the RPG people do not care about MP?
Or maybe because we have already tried previous games from those guys?
They talk better than they deliver.

There's no reason you couldn't shape the world in cooperative multiplayer.
And there's no reason to do it either beside a marketing point of view.

If really Wasteland 3 is taking the risked road of multiplayer through coop and DOS commercial success envy, I would like refund my pledge.

The problem is pace, choices even minor, are a single player point of view. DoS system not only is a burden for SP, but also obviously eat a huge amount of resources and I never pledged WL3 project for that sort of expense.

And there's no reason to do it either beside a marketing point of view.

If really Wasteland 3 is taking the risked road of multiplayer through coop and DOS commercial success envy, I would like refund my pledge.

The problem is pace, choices even minor, are a single player point of view. DoS system not only is a burden for SP, but also obviously eat a huge amount of resources and I never pledged WL3 project for that sort of expense.

Why would your preference be more important?

Because like me he pledged on a game description which never talked about MP or COOP?

You cannot change the world in Coop, Mmorpg or MP because else the other players get frustrated and start to ask why him and not me. Everyone has to be the Hero.

Because like me he pledged on a game description which never talked about MP or COOP?

You cannot change the world in Coop, Mmorpg or MP because else the other players get frustrated and start to ask why him and not me. Everyone has to be the Hero.

What about the people who pledged and want coop? As for having a problem with how the world changes for another, I guess you have to understand what coop means to appreciate why that's not an issue.

Unless they promised there would be no MP of this kind, it's as valid as any other addition.

What about the people who pledged and want coop? As for having a problem with how the world changes for another, I guess you have to understand what coop means to appreciate why that's not an issue.

Since that was never in the description why people with a Coop wish would pledge for that?

I advise you to read a bit about what they say:

"Once a game is started, you can play Wasteland 3 while your friend is offline, and do a lot of missions without them. Be aware, however, that the actions you take while your friend is offline are not without consequence!"

I still thinks than there is not a lot of people who wants to play a game where some other guy can have all the fun and the juicy stuff and you nothing or the other way.

wtf

Wasteland 3 in it's first presentation had co-op in the list of features. Someone doesn't like that? Don't back it! I didn't. I did like what they did with WL2, but if something needed to be improved in the next game, that's definetly not adding multiplayer, so I won't buy it but won't go now whine on Inxile boards about that.

This looke like threads I'm seeing on Expeditions:Viking steam forum. That game doesn't have coop and some are posting they won't buy it only because of that. So? Don't. There are enough of MMOs out there without a proper singleplayer campaign. Buy those. And invest into Wasteland 3.

Yea, I know. Someone will spot the trunk in my eye called DLC and microtransactions where I still bought ME4. I did. But before I did, I made sure the game has enough of singleplayer campaign that isn't pay2win or MMO. Over 200 hours in two playthroughs speaks enough.

Inxile decided what the game will contain. Noone is forcing anyone to invest, at least I hope so. Whatever you feel about adding a feature that didn't exist in Wasteland 2, vote with your wallet.

What about the people who pledged and want coop?
They obviously pledged the wrong game, it's never been mentioned it will be multiplayer or coop.

As for having a problem with how the world changes for another,
Firstly I'm fine if Wasteland 3 give up with desert, desert thematic is becoming tedious.

Moreover it's non sense for post nuclear, less human means more animals and more vegetal, so grassland, forest, lakes, mountains are very welcoming in Wasteland 3.

Story is story, nothing related to pledging, if it's incoherent with story of WL1&2 good luck for them to endure the bashing, myself I won't care, but it's me, I doubt they'll take such risk.

I guess you have to understand what coop means to appreciate why that's not an issue.
Ok for influence on SP gameplay it could be small, for pointless budget devouring it will hardly be small or just pointless coop.
Unless they promised there would be no MP of this kind, it's as valid as any other addition.
it's artificial arguing. At this point they could as well make it action game, no they can't.

wtf

Wasteland 3 in it's first presentation had co-op in the list of features. Someone doesn't like that? Don't back it! I didn't.

Dam I didn't quote lol. Gee backed when I should not have.

Back
Top Bottom