Wasteland 3 - Production Starting

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Wasteland 3 has a new update and InXile announces that production has officially started. This sees the team focus on producing a vertical slice of the Stanley Hotel. There is also a survey for backers to fill out about what you want to see in Wasteland 3.

Building the Stanley: An Introduction to "The Vertical Slice"

Thomas here to wrap up this update!

In the previous update, we introduced you to Stanley Hotel, one of the zones of Wasteland 3. As part of our production schedule, we'll be looking to flesh out Stanley Hotel early, taking it from blockout (a rough level implementation with no art) into a developed zone, with missions, combat, dialogues and art worked out. That way, the Stanley Hotel will work as our vertical slice, allowing us to proof out the entire process from A to Z. In video games, doing a vertical slice early in production allows you to prove out the production process of your level, catching and correcting any mistakes or factors that'd slow us down for later zones, and it'll give us vital information on questions regarding combat density, balance, and the use of vehicles in our game.

In the coming updates, we'll be sharing various facets of the vertical slice with you, highlighting what this process means for us in art, engineering, design, and writing. Part of the reason we chose the Stanley Hotel as a vertical slice is that the location is fairly isolated from the main storyline, so we'll be able to share a lot of details without spoiling the game's overall story.
More information.

I didn't get question 15. As a Desert Ranger, in what way do you approach the game? Why wasn't there the option to play them all.

I didn't get question 15. As a Desert Ranger, in what way do you approach the game? Why wasn't there the option to play them all.

Well, isn't it kind of hard to be a by the book lawful Ranger and a vengeful vigilante at the same time? I reckon the last option was the open one, as in "I'll do what I feel like at the moment".

Last edited:
I wonder whether the Stanley will have a Concierge and what tours I'll be able to book?

I'm not a backer.
I didn't get question 15. As a Desert Ranger, in what way do you approach the game?
Easy answer. I approach the game as singleplayer and not MMO. But as I said, I'm not a backer.

My only interest in this game is limited to synchronous two-player co-op.

Last edited:
Sorry, I just don't trust it.
In several other threads I said if you made coop option in a completely fresh game/setting, I wouldn't object at all. But adding that to a sequel just reminds me of other great singleplayer games where developers added MMO in sequels and it went straight to hell.

Perhaps I'm too paranoic. Is it my fault that I got bitten in the past?
Once the game sees light of a day, the community here will write if the game is "coop or don't buy", or it's worth soloing so I can buy it then. But sorry, I will not go against myself thus will not support it's crowdfunding process. I was a backer for Wasteland 2 and Torment2, love them both (except Torment2's ending), but sorry, if Bethesda did not add multiplayer when they continued Fallout franchise and "modernized" other game aspects like graphics instead, so could you.

However, you shouldn't worry about one lost backer - I'm the minority on this board.
Adding coop in the game will make you sales on people who buy games only if those have coop. I'm actually surprised you didn't make Wasteland 3 completely as MMO. Worked for EA, some people are still playing Kotor3 aka SW:TOR. Dunno why nor care really, my money goes into singleplayers, but EA earned billions from betraying fans so I suggest you to make Wasteland 4 strictly multiplayer.

Last edited:
I will certainly only play it single player, not interested in coop in the slightest, especially not asynchronous. I did play D:OS with my brother for a bit and it was fun, but I have neither the time nor the patience to match my game time with someone elses. And I sure as hell won't allow someone to mess up my game when I'm not playing.

I have faith in Wasteland 3 being a great single player game though, if it isn't inXile will lose me as a fanboy.

Last edited:
I thought the survey they gave was pretty cool -- about different rpg game elements, and how it will apparently help to shape the game. More big crpg developers should do this, because the kickstarter people who fund these games are usually going to be the hardcore fans.

Back
Top Bottom