Steam - Greenlight Closed

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer reports that Steam Greenlight is closed and Steam Direct launches next week:

Steam Greenlight is closed, Steam Direct goes live next week

It wasn't easy being green.

Valve said earlier this year that the curtain was coming down on Steam Greenlight, and that a new service called Steam Direct, which will enable developers to put their games on the platform directly for $100, will take its place. Today, that transition began in earnest, as Valve has announced that Greenlight is now closed, and that Direct is set to go live on June 13.

"Right from the early days and throughout the life of Greenlight, we have been continually surprised by the hits coming through. In just the first year we saw titles such as War For The Overworld, Evoland, Rogue Legacy, and Verdun move through Greenlight and go on to become hugely successful," Valve wrote. "Those early years also saw huge growth in some categories of games that we had previously considered extremely niche, like visual novels. Whether you love or hate visual novels (In which case you can customize your preferences here!), they have gone on to form a huge following on Steam."

Since Greenlight launched in 2012, nearly ten million players have cast more than 90 million votes for Greenlight submissions, and more than 63 million players have played a Greenlight game, logging 3.5 billion hours in them. "With these kinds of successes, the thousands of niche titles, and everything in between, we realized that a direct and predictable submission process will best serve the diverse interests of players moving forward," Valve wrote.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Bummer. Of course, the important question is, how does this affect Grimoire's new release date?

In the worst possible way ????? :p :p :p :p

I'm a bit sad seeing it gone as it brought some good stuff on Steam. On another hand, it's was so abused for pushing garbage too, it's better they took it down if there was no other solution.

I'm a bit sad seeing it gone as it brought some good stuff on Steam. On another hand, it's was so abused for pushing garbage too, it's better they took it down if there was no other solution.
There will only be more garbage now. The Steam Direct fee to get your first game up is the same as the Steam Greenlight fee was, $100. Except now you don't need any votes at all.

VR shovelware incoming

VR shovelware incoming
Shovelware may be putting it lightly. I bet most of these guys won't even bother with a shovel, they'll just scoop up as much shit as their hands can hold and fling it everywhere. Some's gotta stick right? :lol:

"Valve also revealed that along with the $100 Steam Direct fee, there will be a 30-day delay for new developers before they can actually release their first game on Steam. "This gives us time to review the developer's information and confirm that we know who we're doing business with," it explained. "Developers will also need to put up a 'coming soon' page for a couple of weeks prior to release, which helps get more eyes on upcoming releases and gives players a chance to point out discrepancies that our team may not be able to catch."

Doesn't sound like it will be any worse than the old system, granted that's not saying much.

As for Grimoire, the real question is what excuse he will use this time. He's already approved so he doesn't have to go through the Steam Direct waiting period process. Although that wouldn't necessarily stop him from using it as an excuse.

There will only be more garbage now. The Steam Direct fee to get your first game up is the same as the Steam Greenlight fee was, $100. Except now you don't need any votes at all.

But now Steam makes instant money from this... not hard to see why it changed.

I don't think Greenlight was created to filter the garbage anyway.

we realized that a direct and predictable submission process will best serve the diverse interests of players moving forward
translation:
we realized that abdicating every last iota of responsibility for what gets sold on our platform was both the easiest and cheapest route moving forward

I for one don't get to play nearly enough broken, crappy, partially imcomplete RPG Maker games. This should solve that issue.

Thank You Valve!
It was a good run. Now go and develop HALF-LIFE 3!!!

I was really hoping for a higher fee. Something like 500$-1000$. That would have cut out a lot of amatuers I think.

Yeah, but if an amateur turns out to be a genius on his 3rd game, $100 will help them get enough praise to fly to the High Clouds Of Amazingness.

Back
Top Bottom