Bethesda Softworks - Creation Club

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@RockPaperShotgun Bethesda has announced Creation Club, an alternative to paid mods.

In among the game announcements at E3 2017 Bethesda also announced Creation Club, “a collection of new game content for Skyrim and Fallout 4.” That content includes new weapons, armour, crafting and housing features, and changes to core systems, and you buy all of it in-game with ‘credits’ purchased for real money through Steam. Is this a new paid mods system? No, says the FAQ, “Mods will remain a free and open system where anyone can create and share what they’d like.”

Here’s the Creation Club trailer:

[…]
More information.

I still don't really understand the difference between this and mods. I guess only certain, hand-picked modders will be able to post their stuff to Creation Club, with some sort of Q&A at the other end?

Lmao, Bethesda is going to provide quality assurance…they are barely capable of getting their own games running.

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

This goes live, then it's bye-bye Bethesda, free and easy to use outside content is only worthwhile thing about their games.

What a boring announcement, really.

Not sure why they feel they need to monetize it in this way. I mean, if "most" of it will be developer-authored then what's the difference between that and DLC?

Maybe it's a backhanded attempt at monetizing the work of modders - despite their claims to the contrary. I'm guessing they'll try to control the flow of mods so that they will feel compelled to go through this "official" channel.

This has the smell of Bethesda more than Bethsoft.

I still don't really understand the difference between this and mods. I guess only certain, hand-picked modders will be able to post their stuff to Creation Club, with some sort of Q&A at the other end?

I get the sense this is test to see how well a collaborative release with experienced modders will work out. Presumably it is mutually beneficial.

Even less reason to ever but Bethesda crap. Not like I didn't already have enough reasons to not give them any $.

Buy our generic husk of a game and you too can enhance it with things to make it less boring! Straight from within the game. Using real money credits.

I don't see the allure of this model. Perhaps this is Bethesda's way for getting around the mod limitations of the PS4?

Last edited:
I think I get it. They had two problems - they wanted to monetize mods but everyone hated the idea, and they wanted to make sure mods worked reliably on consoles to grow the mod market. So, now they become a middle man, turning the better quality mods into paid mods under a new guise, and doing a bit of QA(!) to make sure they run properly on all platforms.

Perhaps this is Bethesda's way for getting around the mod limitations of the PS4?
Noone can get around limitations on consoles, not even their manufacturers. Here's hope it's just Beth's cashgrab attempt and not roleplaying Don Quijote.

Really don't understand why they are trying to do this again. Is the money grab worth the terrible PR this is already causing?

Really don't understand why they are trying to do this again. Is the money grab worth the terrible PR this is already causing?

Crappy Dlcs, loot boxes and such scams are bring in huge amount on money for companies. I think we are talking about billions since it seems most of our fellow gamers are fuckwits and more than happy to throw away their money. So this initial bad PR won't affect won't affect them even a tiny bit.

Whatever they say, this is Paid Mods 2.0.

Will be fun to see how they ensure compatibility and how long it takes till the first console kid manages to break their game.

How did the saying of old go? If your game doesn't CTD every 30 min you don't use enough mods.

What a fucking joke, this is why i no longer buy Bethesda games, as if their games didnt make enough billions but now they need to put MAL-WARE in their own games to milk the players for every fucking penny. This is why i no longer play Blizzard games too.

Creation Club

Guess they found a new name for paid mods cause their 2015 push failed terribly.

What a bunch of slimy capitalists, I'm so glad I stopped buying their shite in 2007.

Not sure why they feel they need to monetize it in this way. I mean, if "most" of it will be developer-authored then what's the difference between that and DLC?
That's what I was wondering. Maybe it's a different way to sell small content? Steam isn't really set up for selling tons (hundreds+) of tiny DLC items. Or maybe it's really all about the console side and PC is just getting taken along for the ride?

They might also be after the not-quite-but-nearly-pro developers. Tiny groups of people who want to make mods in their free time but want to actually get paid for it - or at least have a shot at getting paid for it.

Maybe it's a backhanded attempt at monetizing the work of modders - despite their claims to the contrary. I'm guessing they'll try to control the flow of mods so that they will feel compelled to go through this "official" channel.
Could be if they were announcing this for a future game but even Fallout 4 has been out for a long time. Most of the mods have already been made.

I'm going to sit pat on the wait & see position.

Back
Top Bottom