Wasteland 3 - Fig Update

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A new update for Wasteland 3 is available at Fig now. It contains a variation of topics, like this one about vehicles.

Hi all, Charlie here. Vehicles? In Wasteland 3? Oh it's happening, and we've made some good progress on that front in the past few weeks! We now have a vehicle playground, a test scene in Unity that we're using to drive around in so we can figure out our parameters for fun vehicle gameplay. While we intend to show that at least one faction in post-apocalyptic Colorado is equipped to build their own vehicles, most of the drivable machines you'll find are examples of ingenuity and resourcefulness, with a healthy dose of auto shop and welding skills thrown in. In this world, scrounged materials can make the difference between barely mobile and fortified, armed transport.

The first vehicle you'll acquire in the game is a bit of a beater. We wanted to provide the player with something that is functional - it can be trusted to get you from point A to point B - but that would be sparse when it comes to weaponry or armor. Our beater has nice big tires and some attached armor plating, so it's a whole lot better than walking. On the other hand, the starting place for those modifications is a vehicle that looks like its previous owner might have been a "soccer mom." Not to worry, if you survive with this puppy, you will be well rewarded with the next vehicle, which is a beast!
More information.

Vehicles?

Will the game contain GTA 5 coop races too?
Yes? I'm buying!

Not.

Vehicles?

Will the game contain GTA 5 coop races too?
Yes? I'm buying!

Not.

Oh dear.. want to talk about it, perhaps life will be more colorful..

Wondering how they gonna integrate this into the game, i am quite curious !

To make it more colorful, random parts should get caught in the vehicle grill. Stop some place, find a bloody stump of an arm. The next hop, there's a zombie head. Third locale, somebody's false leg and a fishing net…

Vehicles are cool, but I'm also curious how they will be implemented. Fallout Tactics style (usable in combat and with hitpoints, some with built in weaponry)? Or just as a way to get from point A to B at different speeds? Or used as a way to lock out content until far enough in to the game? (You need certain vehicles to cross different terrains).

Vehicles are cool, but I'm also curious how they will be implemented. Fallout Tactics style (usable in combat and with hitpoints, some with built in weaponry)? Or just as a way to get from point A to B at different speeds? Or used as a way to lock out content until far enough in to the game? (You need certain vehicles to cross different terrains).

Seems Fallout tactics style, certainly hope so.

Yep, vehicles could pose some problems. Like, how fast will they go? Most likely this means that they are all going to be lumbering and relatively slow, because this will not be a driving type game, and the number of screens will be limited. I guess the theme of snow everywhere justifies this to an extent, because most vehicles drive slow in the snow.

How many vehicles will be in the game? Will it be a constant picture of a vehicle or two always being present on both sides of a battle, for instance, or will there still be plenty of sections where vehicles are not present and the game goes back to the original game play of two squads fighting on foot. Not sure how I feel if the game becomes a vehicular combat fest, in other words. I'm also guessing the ammo will be limited for the vehicle weapons because they are bound to be (much) more powerful (turret mounted heavy weapons, I'm thinking) than most of the weapons available to carry by hand re:individual soldiers.

How will vehicles take damage, will they be repairable, and will vehicles blow up if enough damage is taken, and what about gas? Required to find it or no, or perhaps dispensed with for gameplay purposes as an unnecessary and unfun burden for the player...all these are some other questions that come to mind. All that said, vehicles do add an interesting new twist to the gameplay.

I want ram raiding to be a thing. What else? Vehicle vs vehicle combat has to be on the cards as well when the vehicle is in motion, but how do you do this with turn based? Using vehicles as cover is okay as long as there is plausibility. Car doors should look reinforced if I am using them as cover because in reality it is no cover. Maybe have ejection seats to put a soldier onto higher ground for an addon type ability.

Vehicles are cool, but I'm also curious how they will be implemented. Fallout Tactics style (usable in combat and with hitpoints, some with built in weaponry)?

They showed this awhile back. The squad drove up, had an encounter where they got out and talked to some guy, were then attacked and one of the Rangers ran to a turret mounted on the back of the truck. So it seems the game will have mounted weaponry and that sort of thing.

Let's see.. Anyway, it has always bee, strange than there was no car or any other vehicle in this kind of setting. Someone had to do it someday.

I still remember the intro movie of one of the fallout with the Brotherhood light vehicle, it feels right.

My guess was that vehicles would be used for an overland map, then play a role in random encounters.

The encounter they showed wasn't random, it was a big story moment.

If I understand the one you mean, the vehicle was stationary. Presumably you'll be able to maneuver around using the vehicle, deploying your guys where you want. That seems tailor-made for random encounters.

Back
Top Bottom