Wasteland 3 - The Everest Hotel

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Colin McComb talks about designing the Everest Hotel in Wasteland 3 in their latest update.

Colin here to talk about some of the early design we’ve been working on for the game. Right now, I’m the narrative designer for an area in the northern reaches of the world map, a place originally called the Stanley Hotel. We’ve recently changed the name to “the Everest Hotel” - in part, because I wanted a name that fit the function of the hotel better. See, not only is this hotel up in the mountains (thus "Everest"), but it's also a place for a guest to sleep forever, or Ever-rest.​

I need to give a special shout out to Alex Kerr, the level designer for this area. He’s taking ideas and really making them shine - discussing features, conversations, and quests, and then suggesting improvements after he begins implementation and blockout of the quest areas. You will see more about the work Alex is doing in a future update.​

By the way, this being a design diary-style entry, I have to warn you that this whole section is FILLED with spoilers. Skip to the Crowdfunding Corner section if you don’t want the the hotel ruined for you.​

If you’re still reading, this is your own fault.​

Still here?​
More information.

I was initially skeptical of the hotel staff motivations which I won't mention here.

But I think there are plenty of weird cults out there so I guess it makes sense.

Kinda lost faith in inXile after Numanuma.

Maybe your expectations were too high, I should write stellar high.
The game was good. Not the greatest RPG ever, but really good.

Without inXile we wouldn't have Wasteland 2.
...nor Wasteland 3 / Bard's Tale 4 / Fig.
I really don't understand the flak inXile is getting.
Ok some people felt disappointed with Numenera. Is this a reason for a shitstorm on inXile?

Why do you play Numanuma then? I played Numenera and my faith in Inxile was restored. ;)

InXile has also kept their new RPGs the most old-school out of the new batch of Kickstarter RPGs, IMO. Any true fan of classic-style CRPGs cannot hate on that.

Can't comment on Num as I have not played it yet but I was happy with wasteland 2 (esp director cut version). Can't comment on wasteland 3 and bard tales yet as they aren't finished but I think inxile has done a better job than folks give them credit. At the end of hte day I thought wasteland 2 was a better game than d:eek:s. Don't mistaken me I prefer D:OS combat and mechanics but when it came to story and quests and 'memorable' moments I prefer wasteland 2. I will say that wasteland 2 combat was stale and could have used a bit more clarity in the story but d:eek:s barely had a story.

Back
Top Bottom