Larian Studios - RPG Player Survey Results

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The results of the Larian Studios RPG player survey are in. It is a PDF that can be found on Google Docs.

One of the things that I noticed in it was that the majority of responders don't think co-op is that important in a game (it is listed twice, so not sure what to make of that) and that there is a preference for story-rich games with a focus on character progression and tactical combat. So, that would be Original Sin without co-op?

Thanks Hurls!

More information.

I am intrigued by the gender question's possible answers they had. Obviously they cannot really represent the vast majority of transgendered people for that question, like having 60 answers would give headaches. Are transgendered people okay with the "prefer not to say" answer? Going into the future will it be socially acceptable to set the gender question's answers like that?

Not sure what Larian will make out of that survey but I don't see anything particularly interesting in the survey result :/

I am intrigued by the gender question's possible answers they had. Obviously they cannot really represent the vast majority of transgendered people for that question, like having 60 answers would give headaches. Are transgendered people okay with the "prefer not to say" answer? Going into the future will it be socially acceptable to set the gender question's answers like that?
So, from the information that is in there, this is the topic you want to highlight to drive a discussion on?

Interesting to see so many Larian fans hadn't played or didn't like Wasteland 2. I would have thought there would have been more cross over of appeal, but Pillars of Eternity gets a much better score.

Also, Larian fans are younger than I expected. But isn't everyone these days.... :)

Is there a link to larian response to the survey or did they just post the doc without any text ?
All that I can find is their tweet.

The players said:

'Larian keep doing what your doing with the isometric games although we really love your third person ones as well. First person could work as well but we are less keen on it.'

'We love good story, character progression and like tactical combat. Please don't go so heavy on the co-op, we really don't care about that!'

'We have mixed feelings on crafting but definitely make a decently challenging game with good loot as that is important.'

'We like/love turn based, rtwp and real time gameplay. Basically ignore the detractors and just make sure you make it work well.'

'Alot of us haven't played fallout classics or many modern games unless its Witcher 3. And MMORPGs! Coop! lol no'

So, from the information that is in there, this is the topic you want to highlight to drive a discussion on?

I was going to comment on something else, but the way they did that questions doesnt seem to be socially acceptable considering they are from Sweden that strongly supports, at least the "other" option. Maybe it's just me.

They are actually from Belgium. But given the relatively small distance between Sweden en Belgium and the large distance to Australia, the margin of error is mathematically small ;)

Page 4 lists 2 times "Co-Op", and I don't remember the question anymore.

Edit : From their tweet :

Rightfully, shame on us! Its Coop and PvP. We apologize! Will correct this asap.

It strikes me as odd that turn based combat scored so high but tactical combat was just average. I thought those two go hand in hand. Unless, tactical combat is something different then I think. ToEE and Battle Brothers is tactical combat in my book. Most games that are turned based also have tactical combat.

Can someone tell me what turn-based combat game was ever not tactical? Meaning, people who favor turn-based but not tactical don't understand the concepts involved.

Not that such a thing would surprise me.

The only result that surprised me is the high turn-based preference. I love turn-based and that's what I answered, but with all the games being Real Time or RTwP nowadays, I felt like I was in the minority. Glad I was wrong (and hope devs realize it). Perfect example: the new Pathfinder RPG game, they have a perfectly fine and tested turn-based system to base the game on, but nope! let's make it RTwP because reasons!

The only result that surprised me is the high turn-based preference.

Pool bias, the survey was basically sent to Divinity Original Sin backers/buyers.

30% hadn't played Fallout, 25% hadn't played BG. Alarming. In fact half of them don't play many games at all.

Also, 2/3 don't care about co-op in the slightest, something which was a major selling point for the first game funnily enough.

I must say that I don't remember any co-op game right now. I mean, 2 players playing against AI or against other players.

30% hadn't played Fallout, 25% hadn't played BG. Alarming.
Heh, those games are really old. Many gamers are youngsters. Not surprising at all.

I simply don't understand the appeal of crafting. I can see if there were quest based recipes, ingredients to find or to make certain rare items. But what fun is there making a bowstring? Making nails, or basic weapons, weak healing/buff potions, over and over? I really don't like crafting much at all, in any game. Always seems like a tedious mini-game within a larger game I'd rather just play.

Back
Top Bottom