Bethesda - A Game of Thrones Game?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@TechRaptor Bethesda may possibly be working on a Game of Thrones game.

First noticed by "That Damn Kid" on NeoGaf, Target currently has a listing up simply labeled "Bethesda: Game of Thrones." To add a little fuel to the fire, we do know that Bethesda currently has two unnamed, large-scale products in the works.

There have been surprisingly few Game of Thrones-related games over the years since the show began, so it would be no surprise to see one get off the ground now, especially with the show on its penultimate season. And with the season finale of that season airing tomorrow, there may be an official announcement coming in the future if this is a real game.

[…]
More information.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/08/28/wh...ame-of-thrones-page-doing-on-targets-website/
File this one in a cabinet absolutely chockers with salt, but there’s a placeholder up on Target’s website for something called “Bethesda: Game of Thrones”.

What could this mean? Is it an error? Is someone on Target’s online team pulling a prank? Should we expect a Bethesda game announce at the end of tonight’s Game of Thrones episode? (Update: we did not get one.) Is this one of Bethesda’s mysterious unannounced projects?

http://wccftech.com/bethesda-game-of-thrones-project-leaked/
jon_skyrim.jpg

If this is happening for real, I find it sad. GoT is supposed to have 3 dragons total. Skyrim's mages guild has billions of them.

If true, I hope they remember not to hire Dinklage for voice acting. He almost ruined Destiny by himself.

Well, what little of it was there to ruin ;)

Man, they're going to sell a crapload of copies...

Would be either: so bad it's good! or so bad, well, no, no, it's simply crap. Even Bethfans have to agree this would be a match made in hell.
Strong writing, dialogue, characterization, choices/consequences, authentic/believable world are prerequisites here…CDPR/Warhorse/2K or Gtfo.
Sure would be comical though.
King's Landing… estimated population: 15 people.
You walk into Cersei's bedroom: Whitewalker has stolen my royal necklace! (How the hell did he manage to get inside the city?)
Luckily, less then twenty meters from the city gates you discover a dungeon where the bugger ran away with it.
The grand finale would be sort of recreation of Oblivion's great battle at Bruma, Northborn and his great Westeros army( around twenty or so men) drive away Whitewalkers.

Well, both of those games are from before the TV show truly took off - and they're also both quite "hardcore" in terms of reaching a wide audience.

A GoT from "the makers of Skyrim and Fallout 4" is probably going to fare better.

If it's true, I hope it isn't the Creaking (Creation) Engine. Give it a rest already.

The problem with this is that the universe of Game of Thrones is, for the most part, boring. It's not high fantasy, unless they plan to let everyone suddenly hatch dragon eggs or cast spells like the Red Witches (but even the magic is lame). As an open world, it would be a train wreck.

The show is awesome because of the characters and subtle intrigue, and maybe some cool looking castles. But as a game, I don't think it would work without epic writing and heavily scripted sequences.

The problem with this is that the universe of Game of Thrones is, for the most part, boring. It's not high fantasy, unless they plan to let everyone suddenly hatch dragon eggs or cast spells like the Red Witches (but even the magic is lame). As an open world, it would be a train wreck.

The show is awesome because of the characters and subtle intrigue, and maybe some cool looking castles. But as a game, I don't think it would work without epic writing and heavily scripted sequences.

There's nothing inherently boring about the universe, in my opinion. It's all about what you do with it - and there's plenty of magic and supernatural elements involved.

I mean, Tolkien is also low fantasy in many ways - and I absolutely adore that world.

That said, I have zero interest in a Game of Thrones game that's a Game of Thrones game for marketing purposes. There would have to be more to it to get me interested.

Same here. I'm looking for a crpg. The name means nothing. It is a fun game? I'm mostly looking for the first iteration of whichever new engine Bethesda is going to use. I want to see what TES VI will likely be using.

Also, if this is the last season of some TV show, I would guess that this game is coming out this November. Bethesda likes releasing in early November.

Same here. I'm looking for a crpg. The name means nothing. It is a fun game? I'm mostly looking for the first iteration of whichever new engine Bethesda is going to use. I want to see what TES VI will likely be using.

Also, if this is the last season of some TV show, I would guess that this game is coming out this November. Bethesda likes releasing in early November.

Well, as long as they keep improving the Creation engine and adding features to it - I think it's fine.

I wouldn't mind an entirely new engine - but the work involved when we're talking about such a feature-rich game is excessive.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 were both quite impressive, in technical terms, upon release.

They weren't out-of-this-world amazing - but they more than did the job, in my opinion.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 were both quite impressive, in technical terms, upon release.
FO4 was. Definetly impressive. Except hair, but okay, it's something most of other developers are not capable of making right.

Skyrim was a broken piece of shit. If there is anything impressive with that title, it's Bethesda's refusal to fix the damned game while pouring all the $ earned from it into some trashy walking simulator MMO.

and there's plenty of magic and supernatural elements involved.

I mean, Tolkien is also low fantasy in many ways - and I absolutely adore that world.

I just don't see how there is enough magic and supernatural element to appease a 12-year old gamer with the attention span of a fruit fly-- which apparently is the target audience for games, now. Other than the handful of times we saw a 'spell' cast (healing & demon birth), it has been a relatively wonderless world. Middle Earth is the runaway Forgotten Realms compared to Westeros.

It's a dirty, humans-only, combat-focused setting with a few neat looking castles and even fewer wonderous creature exceptions. Game of Thrones is 90% a character-driven adventure, built over 6 years, and it will be extremely difficult for a game to harness that successfully. Bethesda is exactly the wrong company for this task, when one considers how utterly shallow their characters are in the Fallout franchise.

Perhaps it will be an Assassin's Creed knockoff where you're the apprentice of the Many-Faced God? 12-year olds will like that. Otherwise, it's a medieval simulator where you might get to exchange a few lines with Peter Dinklage.

I just don't see how there is enough magic and supernatural element to appease a 12-year old gamer with the attention span of a fruit fly-- which apparently is the target audience for games, now. Other than the handful of times we saw a 'spell' cast (healing & demon birth), it has been a relatively wonderless world. Middle Earth is the runaway Forgotten Realms compared to Westeros.

It's a dirty, humans-only, combat-focused setting with a few neat looking castles and even fewer wonderous creature exceptions. Game of Thrones is 90% a character-driven adventure, built over 6 years, and it will be extremely difficult for a game to harness that successfully. Bethesda is exactly the wrong company for this task, when one considers how utterly shallow their characters are in the Fallout franchise.

Perhaps it will be an Assassin's Creed knockoff where you're the apprentice of the Many-Faced God? 12-year olds will like that. Otherwise, it's a medieval simulator where you might get to exchange a few lines with Peter Dinklage.

You seem to be confusing the story written by Martin and the potential of the world.

As for your obsession with 12-year olds - I will refrain from commenting on that.

FWIW, there already is a GoT RPG which was released after the TV series started. I thought it was a rough gem... great story and writing. Graphics so-so and some might not love the combat (I thought it was decent). But the story does shine and I think it's worth a play through. http://store.steampowered.com/app/208730/Game_of_Thrones/

I'm hoping this is just another rumor. I wouldn't mind seeing another Game of Thrones RPG, but I don't think Bethesda is a good match with their writing style.

They also don't strike me as the type who would make an RPG based on a television show.

FWIW, there already is a GoT RPG which was released after the TV series started. I thought it was a rough gem… great story and writing. Graphics so-so and some might not love the combat (I thought it was decent). But the story does shine and I think it's worth a play through. http://store.steampowered.com/app/208730/Game_of_Thrones/

I gave it a try but couldn't get into it. Combat was definitely a main reason. I thought it was too slow-paced and not visceral enough for GoT. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday.

This is going to be a bit of a tortured analogy, but bare with me.

I was going down the store isle in a Lego store with my son looking for a specific star wars Lego set. I started to think about my own childhood excitement when buying a new Lego set, in those black & white days, before the internet and when some dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. What I loved about Lego back then was how the differing Lego themes weren't "branded." Lego made up their own themes. My favorite, of course, was the Space theme. Today, I think all Lego themes are branded - Star Wars, Harry Potter, Minecraft… etc.

It's not that this is bad and my son is certainly just as excited as I was to get a new Lego set.

When it comes to gaming, I still have this bias. I'm much more interested in the universes developers come up with themselves versus some other branding from TV, Movies, and yes, even books (sorry Witcher series, I still love you though).

So this announcement comes with a bit of "meh" - maybe it will be good. Still, I'd rather hear about an announcement of some new IP that Bethesda came up with themselves. Same goes for all other devs out there.

If this is happening for real, I find it sad. GoT is supposed to have 3 dragons total. Skyrim's mages guild has billions of them.

Well, down to two now.

Back
Top Bottom