Nioh - Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Nioh has been released on Steam.

About This Game

Ready to die? Experience the newest brutal action game from Team NINJA and Koei Tecmo Games. In the age of samurai, a lone traveler lands on the shores of Japan. He must fight his way through the vicious warriors and supernatural Yokai that infest the land in order to find that which he seeks.

• The Complete Edition contains the full game, as well as the three expansions with additional story chapters: Dragon of the North, Defiant Honor, and Bloodshed's End.
  • Dragon of the North
    This expansion opens up the Tohoku region, where the "one-eyed dragon" Date Masamune is secretly gathering spirit stones.
  • Defiant Honor
    Fight your way through the Siege of Osaka's winter campaign as you follow the story of one of Japan's greatest generals from the Warring States period, the brave Sanada Yukimura.
  • Bloodshed's End
    Join the summer campaign of the Siege of Osaka as the Warring States period draws to a close in this, the final chapter of William's tale.
  • Steam Exclusive Bonus
    Enjoy wearing the "Dharmachakra Kabuto," a helmet exclusive to the Steam version of Nioh! You can claim yours by selecting "Boons" from a shrine.
More information.

A pity it has no mouse support. That's going to turn off a lot of people. A friend of mine played it on PS4, though, and really enjoyed it.

Any game that starts with "Ready To Die?" is not a game for me. I don't mind dying in games - or failing here and there - but games who look to punish as a core mechanic are a complete pass. I'll leave these games to the l33t gamers who are cooler than me.

Not having mouse support is unacceptable. I bought the game on release date but thinking of returning now because of that. And I hate those comments saying that third persson games are best played with a controller. I played and finished all DS games with my good old k&m without any problem.

Hmmm.
Played this game on PS4, and frankly, I cannot imagine playing it with m&k (IMHO, in certain aspects, it is more brutal than Dark Souls)

This is clearly designed for gamepads, and I understand the developers for not botching their very tight design for a PC-only, "mandatory" m&k support.

Before opening a can of worms: this game is clearly a very tight action game for hardcore console players, so a PC port is totally unnecessary -- unless you want to turn your PC to a full-fledged console (gamepad et al).

Hmmm.
Played this game on PS4, and frankly, I cannot imagine playing it with m&k (IMHO, in certain aspects, it is more brutal than Dark Souls)

This is clearly designed for gamepads, and I understand the developers for not botching their very tight design for a PC-only, "mandatory" m&k support.

Before opening a can of worms: this game is clearly a very tight action game for hardcore console players, so a PC port is totally unnecessary -- unless you want to turn your PC to a full-fledged console (gamepad et al).

I don't understand. What is that controllers can better than M&K?

I don't understand. What is that controllers can better than M&K?

Have you played a car racing game without a steering wheel?
Or a decent flight sim without a joystick?

Use the right tools for the job, as they say... ;)

i dont want a retarded developer to choose for me, its on pc it must support m+k, period; if it plays awful with them, is another story; and they even ask 50e for this piece of shit when they didnt do anything to look like a pc release

Have you played a car racing game without a steering wheel?
Or a decent flight sim without a joystick?

Use the right tools for the job, as they say… ;)

I wasn't being snarky, it was a real question!

I find that mouse give me much better camera control and movement compared to the analog stick on the controller. In fact, I do better in Dark Souls with M+K than controller hence my question.

I wasn't being snarky, it was a real question!

I find that mouse give me much better camera control and movement compared to the analog stick on the controller. In fact, I do better in Dark Souls with M+K than controller hence my question.

Sorry, RPGWatch gets a bit toxic nowadays, no hard feelings.

To answer your question: it is all about ergonomy.
If you have to press a bunch of buttons within in a fraction of time, it is much better to…
- have a good grip in your palms, because it rests your wrist while playing,
- rest your fingers on the buttons, so that you should not seek for the buttons - everything's at your fingertips
- use buttons with a proper push-action, so you'll know exactly when your input is registered.

… and the gamepad is the device that is designed exactly for such usage.
Using a gamepad for a hardcore action game is priceless, because you'll feel the action properly, you'll be in total control, and your margin of error will be greatly reduced.

Hope this answers your question.

Bullshit.
-
I do agree that racing games are an exceptions where peddles and wheels make quite a different. Like wise space games and flght sticks. But for a game like this PC interface (kb/m) work quite well if they are properly implemented. Like wise for a game like dark soul. Please don't explain away shitty developers who are too lazy or brain dead to do a proper pc implementation with dribble. There are many native pc games with proper interfaces and when you do head to head test frequently pc players have a big advantage or hapless console players when the pc version has a proper kb/m interface and the hapless console brat is stuck with their useless lame controller.

If you have to press a bunch of buttons within in a fraction of time, it is much better to…
- rest your fingers on the buttons, so that you should not seek for the buttons - everything's at your fingertips
- use buttons with a proper push-action, so you'll know exactly when your input is registered.

Using a gamepad for a hardcore action game is priceless, because you'll feel the action properly, you'll be in total control, and your margin of error will be greatly reduced.

No worries and thanks for the answer. I guess I am more comfortable with M+K that I do better with it than say controller.

Having said that I don't actually use keyboard instead I use a keypad like razer orbweaver where the keys are closer together and my palm is also rested.

I've played through the first area and think its a fantastic game, so far. Only takes 5 minutes playing to realize its not just a Souls clone.

Probably the best melee combat of any game I've played. It has more depth to it than Dark Souls with the 3 stances; light and heavy combo for each, that's 6 move-sets per weapon you can chain together in combos. Time it right and you can restore your stamina to get more hits out.

The level design will keep Souls fans happy with all the shortcuts to open. Ladders to kick down, doors that open from the other side, fire to put out, etc.

I'm a fan of always having a range weapon equipped to use with LT rather than changing weapons to range.

There's a few other little things I think it does better than souls like small loot in the breakables. Always expected them to have drops until I realized they never would.

Graphics are not that great but good enough.

Runs fine, no crashes, max settings solid 60fps.

Only thing that gamepad has but mouse&keyboard combination doesn't is gamepad's left stick have the advantage of walking/running according to your tilting angle. In all others k&m is better in my opinion. In the end it's all about preference, not necessities.

I really like how it shows the enemy stamina bar under the hitpoints bar. You end up fighting the stamina to break their guard and open them up to a special move and mostly ignoring how much HP they have left. Sometimes you wish they had more so you could keep your awesome combo going.

Also very awesome is the Souls-like "bloodstains" where other players died. You can see how good their gear is and summon them to fight an ai ghost of the player that can drop the items they're wearing.

Also, when I say first area I mean I've got to the world map. Not just the Tower of London bit. :)

Back
Top Bottom