TechRaptor - A Look Back at the RPGs of 2017

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TechRaptor's Robert Grosso thinks RPGs and games with RPG elements are more dominant now than ever:

A Look Back at the RPGs of 2017

If 2017 can be remembered for one thing, it is the growing dominance of role-playing games within the video game market. It was a banner year for the genre; over 120 titles, ranging from AAA productions to indie-developed games, were released or re-released across every platform imaginable. Many of them have become perennial favorites for the year, others are incredibly small time or relatively obscure, but whatever their fate, RPGs of all stripes are beginning to be published heavily, and the embarrassment of riches available to fans is impressive, to say the least.

That is one of the great things about the genre, though: the diversity of games that qualify as such. Many bemoan the “RPG elements” being found in action-adventure titles such as Assassin’s Creed: Origins or shooters such as Destiny 2, but the hybrid-nature of games such as that highlight the growing influence the role-playing genre has in video games. RPGs have always taken the initiative when it comes to character progression, open-worlds, and the myriad of battle mechanics and story presentation we often see in games. As of late, the genre has grown tremendously, improving upon that initiative by adopting other genres into the fold and even revitalizing older techniques with modern elements attached.

[...]
More information.

Thanks for this:

For this long time CRPG fan (TI - Tunnels of Doom), this article feels like a victory lap. I do think however that is wasn't hybridization that got the genre going it was Kickstarter. I mean sheeze, I still like to argue with folks that NOLF (2000) was at its heart an RPG and we saw no market revolution from that great game.

In any event we are in the Golden Age of plenty for RPG goodness and availability and I have to look no further than the "Expected Release" column right here on the front page of RPGWatch, to see that some new RPG goodness is usually no further than a couple weeks away.

I don't share the idea that RPG are on the rise, but first a thanks for this quote and the writer of the article because he quoted Masquerada: Songs and Shadows I never heard of, and want buy urgently. Ha ha

RPGs have found their niche again. With kickstarter and crowd sourcing, a feasible funding and distribution system is available to small-to-mid sized developers. I think most RPGs will continue to be made by passionate, smaller teams for the relatively smaller RPG audience and will be profitable on a smaller scale than an AAA title put out by a large studio. Also I think this independent approach opens opportunities for risk and innovation over time.

Back
Top Bottom