Grim Dawn - Teases ‘Major Announcement’

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@MassivelyOP A major announcement for Grim Dawn will appear March 5th. In addition the latest patch added a new Ancient Grove dungeon.

[...]
Looking ahead to the future of the title? You should be. Crate posted on Facebook this morning that it’s got a “major announcement” coming on March 5th, in the context of the game “still growing” with “over a million copies sold of the base game alone.” Wonder what that could mean…
More information.

Cool, sounds intriguing. I always have liked this game. Perhaps a major expansion, with new classes and areas.

I hear that they're adding another color to the gray and brown ;)

got 2400hrs+ in this game i honestly don't know where the sarcasm of some comments comes from.

From what little I've played of Grim Dawn, I think it's better than Diablo III and PoE.
At one time but then PoE fixed its desync problems and other issues.
Now it is not even close.

Did fixing its desynce problems somehow make the world and story in PoE more interesting?
It is not less interesting than GD world and story.
And both make D3 story a joke.

And if you are really playing Diablo like H&S games for world and story... LOL

It is not less interesting than GD world and story.
And both make D3 story a joke.

And if you are really playing Diablo like H&S games for world and story… LOL

It's far less interesting to me and many others.

You can state your opinion as much as you like. That's not going to make it a fact. :)

got 2400hrs+ in this game i honestly don't know where the sarcasm of some comments comes from.

I dont think all of that sarcasm is earned by or aimed at crate, rather the game industry. I also think that "announcing the announcment" is a bit excessive, but unfortunately that's how things work nowadays.

Anyways, yeah, Grim Dawn is a great game.

I hate Path of Exile's skill tree. I don't theory-craft and it's a mess unless you spend hours reading all the descriptions. I just want to play.

Grim Dawn is the ugliest of the three mentioned. It looks cheap but is a ton of fun to play. I also don't like their inventory system.

Diablo III seems the most fun of these games but I'm not a huge fan of most of the builds.

I've played them all multiple times along with Titan Quest too. Titan Quest has the most interesting theme. I'm not a huge fan of their socketing system. Finding 3+ of every item before you can get full use of it is kinda goofy and GD followed that same idiocy.

It's far less interesting to me and many others.

You can state your opinion as much as you like. That's not going to make it a fact. :)
The point of my post was that it does not matter. In the end it is about the H&S. Unless you are like D3 and its story is actively in your face and irritating beyond words.
Luckily both GD and PoE understood that is a bad way to do a H&S game and didn't have that kind of shit.
They outdid Diablo in its own genre.

This. announcing that an announcement is to arrive (Larian does this excessively); is just damn anal. Either announce or don't.

I dont think all of that sarcasm is earned by or aimed at crate, rather the game industry. I also think that "announcing the announcment" is a bit excessive, but unfortunately that's how things work nowadays.

Anyways, yeah, Grim Dawn is a great game.

From what little I've played of Grim Dawn, I think it's better than Diablo III and PoE.

At one time but then PoE fixed its desync problems and other issues.
Now it is not even close.

I'd say PoE and Grim Dawn are two different beasts. PoE being more impressive, very impressive, though it's understandable that it can put a lot of people off for a number of valid reasons. Grim Dawn is solid with some unfortunate glaring flaws, annoyingly repeated flaws, but far more accessible in a number of ways while keeping enough depth for after you get hooked.

Together they've basically carved up the genera and stampeded over Diablo 3 which has its name (and developer's name) to thank for any of its success, if it was SomeOtherGame by SomeOtherDev it would have been dead in the water at release with the crap they pulled and even without that crap it would have faded away long since. Now it just plays catch-up and will hang in there no matter what due to the value of the franchise rather than the game.

I don't think it's worth arguing over Grim Dawn vs PoE, why not both or whichever you enjoy more. Both are good and easily exist at the same time, both are by companies that are in touch with their customers and actually work for any money they get offering real value. If you're a fan of the genera "you" win, why bother over which game "wins" when everyone is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg

Now may even be the high point, so far, for HnS / ARPG, if Sacred 3 weren't utterly molested and instead a solid sequel now would basically be an undeniable Golden Age for the genera, just imagine Diablo 3 also actually existed..

I hate Path of Exile's skill tree. I don't theory-craft and it's a mess unless you spend hours reading all the descriptions. I just want to play.

The skill tree can be a huge plus if one's into it, but understandable if it seems like to much work or time.

Perhaps look at some of the builds people put together, last time I played there were builds that required only a single item and obtainable skill gems for capable characters. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the skills tree and can always tweak it a bit if you like.

I disagree that giving advance notice of a major announcement is wrong, or whatever the objection is. It's all about building excitement and anticipation and I think many people who are fans of the game appreciate that. It's like - "Oh cool, I wonder what they're planning!" And for those who aren't fans, this may be a tantalizing or intriguing thing to watch for, and get them interested in this game in the first place.

I'd say PoE and Grim Dawn are two different beasts. PoE being more impressive, very impressive, though it's understandable that it can put a lot of people off for a number of valid reasons. Grim Dawn is solid with some unfortunate glaring flaws, annoyingly repeated flaws, but far more accessible in a number of ways while keeping enough depth for after you get hooked.

Together they've basically carved up the genera and stampeded over Diablo 3 which has its name (and developer's name) to thank for any of its success, if it was SomeOtherGame by SomeOtherDev it would have been dead in the water at release with the crap they pulled and even without that crap it would have faded away long since. Now it just plays catch-up and will hang in there no matter what due to the value of the franchise rather than the game.

I don't think it's worth arguing over Grim Dawn vs PoE, why not both or whichever you enjoy more. Both are good and easily exist at the same time, both are by companies that are in touch with their customers and actually work for any money they get offering real value. If you're a fan of the genera "you" win, why bother over which game "wins" when everyone is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg

Now may even be the high point, so far, for HnS / ARPG, if Sacred 3 weren't utterly molested and instead a solid sequel now would basically be an undeniable Golden Age for the genera, just imagine Diablo 3 also actually existed..
Now that Blizzard released SC:R and a new patch for WC3 that improves quite a bit of the game, I am hoping for D2 Remastered next. I am sure to take a few months pause from PoE and go relive my childhood :D

Now that Blizzard released SC:R and a new patch for WC3 that improves quite a bit of the game, I am hoping for D2 Remastered next. I am sure to take a few months pause from PoE and go relive my childhood :D

I've quite apprehensive about a Diablo 2 remaster. It may sound all well and good but there's the case of mods for the old game no longer being compatible and that's presuming nothing about the remaster itself is negative.

For example I wouldn't bother playing Diablo 2 without PlugY and then there's things like Median XL which looks really interesting. Sure the old version of the game and its mods will still be around regardless of Blizzard it's just that loosing compatibility with such community efforts, or even splitting it up, doesn't seem like a good way to go about it, and Blizzard has shown that not only do they give zero shits about such community efforts but are even actively hostile when not apathetic.

I'd much rather have an updated version, a patch, with support for modern systems resolution, possibly some QoL improvements, maybe better textures (provided they are not cartoonish or look like a mobile game). Nothing else is needed, though that way they wouldn't be able to re-sell Diablo 2 so I wonder what the chance of that is.

Currently Diablo 2 does still work, in high resolution, thanks to mods, with the benefit of optional other mods. It still looks good both aesthetically and graphically thanks to the art style and due to being from the 2D era (though things can get a bit small at 1080p unless you have a really large monitor so 1280x720/fullscreen was a sweet spot for me last time). The only problems are it may crash once in a while, once or twice per difficulty if I remember right, and the videos would only play using fullscreen mode.

For a game approaching 18 years I'd say it looks great, so I'm not clamouring for a remaster, certainly not if it comes with caveats or negatives.

Quickly fired up my old portable version without problem for a screenshot.
https://images2.imgbox.com/7c/59/JwuiYh6w_o.jpg

http://imgbox.com/g/WvRFjT1oYW

So if you want to replay Diablo 2, you don't need to wait for any remaster, it's perfectly playable right now. Though I would recommend Multires and PlugY which currently only support upto v1.13d.

Back
Top Bottom