HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPGFan reviewed Seven: The Days Long Gone:

Seven: The Days Long Gone

"Seven is the quintessential flawed gem of a game."

Last year was undoubtedly a banner year for our favorite video game genre. The releases of spectacular titles, from AAA blockbusters to indie darlings, was quite the embarrassment of riches. With such a busy year, you could be forgiven for neglecting lower profile titles that either fell off your radar or were simply never on it. Seven: The Days Long Gone (hereafter referred to as "Seven") certainly falls into the latter category for me. The debut title of developer Fool's Theory (a studio that includes former Witcher development staff), Seven squeaked in at the end of 2017 with seemingly little fanfare. Boy, did I miss out.
[...]
Seven is the quintessential flawed gem of a game. There's so much to love about what the game does right, yet so many nagging issues that it's hard to justify a higher score than I've given it. The good news is that some of the issues, particularly the most severe, are ultimately fixable. It's a little disheartening that some of the worst of the bugs are still present in some fashion so long after release, of course, but Fool's Theory has displayed a willingness to at least attempt to fix what's broken. The game is infinitely more stable than it was just a few months ago, and if you can bear with some of the game's less palatable design quirks, you're apt to be rewarded with one a heck of a stealth/action/RPG hybrid.

Score: 80%
More information.

I played the first few hours of this one, before being interrupted by moving into a new house, and I'm excited about going back. It felt like it had a lot of heart, along with solid gameplay and world-building. It's been great to see the devs continue to patch it over the past 6+ months.

I have a mate that absolutely loves this game, he says it redefines some genres, but I thought he was simply taking the piss. What games would others here that have played compare it to?

I played the demo and thought it was quite good... it's on my wish list to get a some point. Can't think of a specific title to compare it to. Single character isometric with a stealth vibe to it, wrapped up in some nice RPG trappings was what I recollect.

I'm leaning towards hating this game for many reasons.

1. Bad controls and GUI
  2. Terrible Voice-overs
  3. Game Looks & Plays like a Phone Port
My last play-through lasted a few hours before I uninstalled it.

Wince-worthy VA-ing, and it does feel like it was meant to be played on a phone/touch-screen. Other than those two things it's sort of interesting in the premise and gameplay...I'd've renamed this "junk collector 30XX" because that's mostly what I've been doing. Opening boxes..looting screws and wires...and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom