Diablo - Source Code Reverse Engineered

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer reports that the Diablo source code has been reverse engineered.

A coder who goes by the name of GalaxyHaxz has uploaded a reverse-engineered version of the original Diablo source code. According to this GitHub post, it took them over 1,200 hours over the course of "6-12 months", in bid to ensure "that everything is preserved."

Devilution, as the project is known, doesn't contain any of the original game's assets so don't expect a free copy of the classic action slasher. Do however expect an accessible project that aims to make things "much easier" to support and maintain into the future.

[...]
More information.

This is great achievement! I wounder what motivates people to do something like this? I find it hard to get out of the bed sometimes :lol:

I wish I have 1/1000 of their motivation!

So time for Open Diablo! Yay!
All I really want is better movement than the 8 direction only. I played a mod of Diablo 1 recently that gives us many cool features (better resolutions, more stash space, new abilities for classes, new classes) but it all falls apart when 8 direction movement is pretty bad and makes the gameplay less fun than I remembered.

Except risking problems with law, what's the point of RE that particular product? Fixing something? What could that possibly be?

RE modern plague with paid lootboxes then grant everything that drops from these to players, then I'll be your #1 fan. Today, I'm just thinking about time wasted on nothing.

It's the challenge of doing it. It may not have a purpose outside of that. Much geek cred to this dude.

Hum. The code is brute cc; 110K lines of code/declartions. I wonder if part of it was generated in some fashion - lots of a1,a2,a3,v1,v2,v3....

It's the challenge of doing it. It may not have a purpose outside of that.
You're most probably right. But you can't expect me to praise such "accomplishent", I'm too much of practical nature when it comes to videogames. For example: bugfixes=gimme, reshade=scram. Not that reshade mods are wrong or something, it's just I don't want to see those if a game is broken piece of s.

So, are we to expect a playable game out of all this work? Or will Blizzard be dropping a bunch of lawyers outside his house? I wouldn't mind romping through the first two games again at some point.

Good, especially considering the slow progress of freeablo.

I'm guessing people like the challenge, love the original Diablo and could be interested in a version that is up to running on modern devices, including like phones, tables. And home appliances probably. Or could want to work for Blizz at some capacity.

I wonder what could become of this, if allowed to proceed without legal trouble.

diablo4life . fav blizzard game for me

That is quite some amazing dedication.
A proper game company would offer to hire someone like this.

At Beamdog: Quickly, let's hire this guy! Think of the possibilities!!

Back
Top Bottom