Bethesda Softworks - Starfield Is Next Gen

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Eurogamer talked to Todd Howard about Starfield.

What, then, does Starfield being next-generation mean?

"That to us means two things," Todd Howard told me. "It does mean hardware and it does mean software on our side, and it also means gameplay - what does the next generation of epic single-player RPGs feel like to us?

"What systems we put it out on - what's the hardware requirements - is still to be determined. We're pushing it; we're thinking very, very far in future so we're building something that will handle next-generation hardware. That's what we're building on right now, that's where our mind is, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't exist on the current systems as well."

Todd Howard specified Starfield was a single-player game but will it be a Bethesda Game Studios game in the way Fallout and The Elder Scrolls are?

[...]
More information.

Not surprised as the focus is on Fallout 76 now with the other studios working on Elder Scrolls 6 & Starfield. It's going to be a long wait with these games and Cyberpunk 2077.
Bethesda Game Studios Montreal
Bethesda Game Studios Austin
At least Cyberpunk will release for this generation of consoles first, and then later on the next game consoles. Sigh I hate waiting and hope other RPG games fill the gap.

Last edited:
"What does the next generation of epic single-player RPGs feel like to us?"

Last time you said you will be innovative you added Base building to FO4. Stop being scarry.

Starbryo…with Next gen ladder climbing, animated spears technology!

Next gen?
What is that supposed to be? Nintendo switch 2?

Yea, I know. It'll still look like garbage and everyone will be installing the stupid reshade. Again.

I’m going to be all over this, but like several other extremely interesting games buzzed about lately, it’s too far out.

I'm assuming "next gen" refers mainly to consoles, which is probably more like current gen PC's?

Next Gen of shit more like it.. Am I right? :D :D
Sadly, that's extremely likely, based on the trajectory of this company's games:

- Elder Scrolls became essentially unplayable after Morrowind - interfaces got too horrible (console focused), gameplay got way too dumbed down. To top it off, story stayed boring, too, so there's no appeal remaining now unless you're into hiking simulation.
- Fallout 3 was…okay? But Fallout 4 was worse in so many areas - the infamous dumbed-down dialogue, settlement building (get that out of my RPG), huge decline in the stats/skills system (can now become a master of everything), etc. I still consider the Fallout series "playable" today unlike the Elder Scrolls series, but it's headed downhill fast.
- And the cherry on top, now we got Fallout 76, some multiplayer shit nobody wanted.

I'd love an actual good sci-fi RPG (how long has it been?) and will almost certainly "try" to play Starfield, but I see no reason to expect it won't be terrible.

Of course this is all just my opinion, I am not trying to present it as "fact". (Seems this disclaimer is needed nowadays around here.)

I'm assuming "next gen" refers mainly to consoles, which is probably more like current gen PC's?
Yeah that's usually what they mean. Next gen console is probably more like the PC's of a few years ago, though, not current. :lol:

Next gen means consoles, yeah.

But there's no such thing as current gen PCs - as there are many gamers who own PCs that are inferior to current gen consoles.

Aiming for high-end PC hardware, like Star Citizen does, is not going to be a choice any sane publisher would accept these days.

I don't know if anyone expects a publisher model game to deliberately make do with a tenth of the profit - but I wouldn't be shocked considering the insight of some people around here ;)

Of course this is all just my opinion, I am not trying to present it as "fact". (Seems this disclaimer is needed nowadays around here.)

It's not needed if you phrase your opinion with a little thought.

But we have people here who're genuinely convinced that their opinion about games they're obsessing about = fact.

So, it's probably better to be safe than sorry, if you're concerned with the reaction of people who disagree with you.

I don't know if anyone expects a publisher model game to deliberately make do with a tenth of the profit - but I wouldn't be shocked considering the insight of some people around here ;)
No. But it would be possible to make the latest & greatest PCs your main graphical target, and then just have lower settings that can be used to get the performance needed in situations like older PCs or consoles. Obviously, Bethesda doesn't do this - their games are far, far too ugly. But there are some companies that do.

No. But it would be possible to make the latest & greatest PCs your main graphical target, and then just have lower settings that can be used to get the performance needed in situations like older PCs or consoles. Obviously, Bethesda doesn't do this - their games are far, far too ugly. But there are some companies that do.

I honestly don't think you understand how much more difficult it is to develop for high-end PC hardware - and then scale down to adapt to inferior hardware, some of which functions differently on a fundamental level.

I can give you my personal guarentee that no developer with the slightest hint of a brain would do it like you suggest - unless we're talking about a port that comes out later without a plan in place during development.

Something like, say, Witcher 3 was developed with console hardware as the primary target - with a few fancy additional effects added for PC as optionals.

Which should tell you something, because Witcher 3 is self-published.

As for your opinion that modern Bethsoft games are "ugly" - I will refrain from commenting :)

To each his own.

At least Fallout 4 had proper high-resolution textures exclusively for PC. Far more detailed than in any similar multi-platform game I've ever played.

At least Bethesda has a slight advantage over Bioware. I at least still try Bethesda games before shitting on them (even if I no longer bother to pay for them), Bioware games you know from just watching streams they are total and utter failure nowadays.

I don't think many are shocked that you shit on games you know nothing about, Arch ;)

I don't think many are shocked that you shit on games you know nothing about, Arch ;)
That argument works little now with such an easy access to let's plays, twitch , steam and metacritic reviews and the rest.

I'm not surprised you don't know what an argument is, either ;)

Back
Top Bottom