Shenmue 1 & 2 - Could Release Next Month

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Shenmue 1 & 2 - Release Next Month

The Shenmue 1 and 2 remasters will be releasing next month according to PCGamesN.

The listing on the Microsoft store says that the two games (which appear to be relatively simple ports of the original releases) will be available from Tuesday, August 21 in Europe (August 20 in America). The listing also confirms that the games will be bundled together for a release price of $29.99. Given that there's no official release date from SEGA, I'd remain slightly sceptical of that date, but the listing has stayed up for more than 12 hours at time of writing, and pre-orders appear to be live.

[…]
More information.

Last edited:
They will also use the usual Denuvo Anti-Tamper, and it will be capped at 30fps. It's Sega so I'm not surprised, but the FPS cap might bother other buyers like Joxer.:biggrin:

Last edited:
w00t?! 30 FPS? Is that a port to PC or to Nintendo Gameboy?!

No buy on day1. Only when modders will fix frames.

I played the first one on my Dreamcast.

Damn, that was a fine console.

As for the game.... Meh. It's a little like Heavy Rain - where something interesting is bogged down by ultra trivial tasks with zero gameplay satisfaction.

I get what they're going for - but it doesn't quite work.

I believe the last Shenmue game I played was the Atari Dreamcast many years ago, and never played the second game as I never bought an XBox just to play it.

To me this game inspired another series called Yakuza and Sega publishes it also.

Anyway Not surprised about the 30fps.Sega probably just wants to get the ports out the door to capitalize on the sequel, and that not a terrible price to pay.

Just have to wait to see how the port was handled though.

I believe the last Shenmue game I played was the Atari Dreamcast many years ago, and never played the second game as I never bought an XBox just to play it.

To me this game inspired another series called Yakuza and Sega publishes it also.

Sega Dreamcast :)

Sega Dreamcast :)
Yes see I told ya it has been a while as that system was a failure. So yes it's coming back to me now as the Atari system was called Jaguar, and it was a flop also.

I believe I have some old Dreamcast RPGs in closet.

1. Skies of Arcadia
  2. Grandia II
  3. Time Stalkers
  4. Record of Lodoss War: Advent of Cardice

Throughout the engine, game code and scripts there are hard coded assumptions about a fixed 30Hz frame update rate, so the game needs to run at 30Hz.
Means it's omg so hard to find those "assumptions" and replace 30 with 60.
It's called lazywork - if they're not capable of doing it themselves they could have passed it to Xseed. But omg that costs money.

It's called lazywork - if they're not capable of doing it themselves they could have passed it to Xseed. But omg that costs money.

Most profit for least investment. Name of the game when it comes to porting. Are you shocked?

Sadly I suspect it is not that easy. Vaguely I believe there are two problems but i don't know factually without seeing the code:

First if the game can't keep up at 60hz then ...

Second there are hardware code that assumes 30 that do not necessarily use the number 30.
-
The bottom lline is that most codes suck and the code they write is incredibly fragile. That doesn't mean this specific code sucks but we can't examine it just made vague comments on what we've seen in the past.
-
Last but least I'm sure if you were willing to pay for the fix they would do it but I suspect it would be a *lot* more expensive than you expected....
-
Talk is easy lets see you put your $$$ where your mouth travels.

if the game can't keep up at 60hz then …
… than it's either Ubisoft's unoptimized code or not an actual port but some Nintendo Gameboy emulator wrapper.

Yea I should have mentioned that when I posted fanatical had a 20% discount; steam pre-order discount is 10%.

Btw have you played these games - not sure I understand why they are in such demand.

Btw for those who care they will also have denuvo in some form - perhaps the reason why 60hz isn't possible :)

August 21st has been confirmed as the PC release date for Europe. The 20th for US.

Yea I should have mentioned that when I posted fanatical had a 20% discount; steam pre-order discount is 10%.

Btw have you played these games - not sure I understand why they are in such demand.

Btw for those who care they will also have denuvo in some form - perhaps the reason why 60hz isn't possible :)

I haven't played them but they sound interesting.

Back
Top Bottom