Shenmue 1 & 2 - Shenmue FAQ

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A FAQ for Shenmue 1&2 has been provided by SEGA.

Which Features have we added?
As well as the herculean effort of porting the code to the new platforms, there is a huge number of things we have added:

• Choice of Japanese or English speech in both games
  • Saves can be carried over from Shenmue into Shenmue II on all platforms
  • Saving anywhere in both games
  • HD resolution rendering
  • Updated UI
  • New post processing effects for both games
  • Full controller support and configurable mouse and keyboard for PC users
  • Full Achievement support for both games on all platforms
Which version of Shenmue 2 did we port?
For technical reasons we started with the Xbox source code and data. This has the advantage of some additional features missing from the Dreamcast version:

• Snapshots system
  • Filters
  • Texture mip-maps to improve anti-aliasing
As some community members will know, the Xbox does have some graphical differences to the DC version which will also be present in our version.

What does Modern Control Scheme mean?

Modern control scheme means we have enabled use of the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad for movement of Ryo, as well as adding full mouse and keyboard support for PC users.

Will the games run at 60hz?

Throughout the engine, game code and scripts there are hard coded assumptions about a fixed 30Hz frame update rate, so the game needs to run at 30Hz.

Is the game 4:3 or Widescreen?

Gameplay where the player can control the camera is 16:9.

Cutscenes are letterboxed in their original formats.

Can the emulated arcade games be played?

We are pleased to announce that all the arcade games in the original are fully playable in the new release!

Who do we thank for this?

The amazing team at d3t.
More information.

Despite some griping here it sounds like they actually did a reasonable job (at least feature list) of porting to the pc. Wonder how the pc crowd will react on release....

Reasonable? Man…
Here's some educational material about what should be "reasonable" porting:
https://www.pcgamer.com/durante-hel...rt-with-improved-60-fps-and-graphics-options/
The PC port of Little King's Story, released last year, is not what you'd call a flawless piece of software. It's a clever (and very Japanese) real-time strategy game, but Steam reviews are "mixed," currently about one-third negative, and a quick glance makes it clear that technical issues are the reason. XSeed spent months adapting the game to PC, but ultimately released it with a buggy 60 fps option and frequent stuttering and audio problems. To address those problems, publisher Xseed Games teamed up with Peter "Durante" Thoman, a regular amongst the pages of PC Gamer, to overhaul the port completely.

Durante explained in a guest post on the Xseed Tumblr that executive VP Ken Berry contacted him a few months ago to ask if he could help improve the port. He said he hadn't been following the PC version of the game, but "was intrigued to see what was wrong with it, and delighted at how Ken was able to provide me with the source code for the game without too much bureaucracy." But he quickly realized that the job would be more difficult than he had anticipated.

"Little King’s Story was built on a custom engine designed from the ground up for this particular game, and its particular original target platform (the Wii)," he wrote. "Clearly, during its development, it was seen as a one-off project that would be done once it ships, and portability or maintainability were secondary concerns."
The explanation of his process isn't excruciatingly detailed, but it does get a little technical: He learned that the CPU was being bogged down by the DirectX 9 API, for instance, and so by "implementing various caches (for passes and materials) which prevent state changes unless they are necessary," he was able to improve framerates by more than 50 percent. He was also able to improve issues with intermittent stuttering, tweaked "framerate-dependent speed mismatches" to improve 60 fps playability, and added a 30 fps toggle that can be triggered in-game for players who'd rather switch when those issues arise. On top of all that, he added new graphical options, improved the launcher, and upgraded the controller support.

"The new version of Little King’s Story should perform significantly better on all systems, most sources of significant stutter should be eliminated, and the 60 fps mode now provides an accurate (and smoother compared to 30 fps) experience except in some scripting-related cases. Furthermore, the game now features additional graphics options to make better use of high-performance GPUs, and can be more precisely controlled with analog gamepads," Duirante wrote. "While I couldn’t achieve everything I initially wanted to—arbitrary fps and even a completely perfect 60 fps mode prove intractable for this game—I’m happy that Xseed gave me the chance to contribute a lot more directly and meaningfully to the quality of this PC port."
To mark the "re-launch" of Little King's Story, Xseed has it on sale on Steam for 40 percent off, dropping it to $15/£11/€14 until February 9. The update is currently only live on Steam, but Berry said it should be rolled out for GOG and the DRM-free version soon. The full patch notes are below.

- A variety of optimizations for overall performance improvements.
- Added multisampling anti-aliasing, transparency supersampling anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering options.
- Implemented analog controls for Xinput-compatible gamepads.
- Improved 60 FPS mode by fixing simulation time progression rate, speed of many effects and object animations, and the movement speed of NPCs and animals. However, some scripted movements during boss battles might still be sped up or broken, so added a workaround where you can press “F1” to enable a temporary 30 FPS lock in 60 FPS mode.
- Replaced the game launcher with a new version with many usability improvements.
Fixed save game playtime being calculated incorrectly.

Not everyone agrees. The impact of trying to make you happy with 60hz (from June 27 2018):
-

The game itslef is really good, i pllayed it on the Wii and finished it a few times, The port however leaves much to be desired, there are no explainations of the controls and all the animations move really s l o w. I cant figure out how to make them move at a normal speed, im not even sure if you can. once this game is better updated i'll probably return, but until then it's just not up to par

---
I'll live with 30hz if it doesn't have these issues.

Reasonable? Man…
Here's some educational material about what should be "reasonable" porting:
https://www.pcgamer.com/durante-hel...rt-with-improved-60-fps-and-graphics-options/

Back
Top Bottom