Star Control: Origins - Gamescom Trailer

I never played any of the original Star Controls (at least, I can't remember playing them), so through that lens I'm baffled about what all the fuss is about for this game? I've watched the trailers and read a preview on Explorminate and this looks like a seriously underwhelming game. Not to be Joxer about it, but it kinda says phone game to me.

I never played any of the original Star Controls (at least, I can't remember playing them), so through that lens I'm baffled about what all the fuss is about for this game? I've watched the trailers and read a preview on Explorminate and this looks like a seriously underwhelming game. Not to be Joxer about it, but it kinda says phone game to me.

You should check out Star Control 2, then. There was a fan port of the 3DO version, it's called Ur-Quan Masters and it is available for free.

SC2 had a lot of things going for it. A lot of exploration with really interesting aliens. An addictive resource-gathering mechanic. A fast and furious combat system. All of this is connected by a smooth and user-friendly interface.

You should check out Star Control 2, then. There was a fan port of the 3DO version, it's called Ur-Quan Masters and it is available for free.

SC2 had a lot of things going for it. A lot of exploration with really interesting aliens. An addictive resource-gathering mechanic. A fast and furious combat system. All of this is connected by a smooth and user-friendly interface.

Thanks for the recommend... "fast and furious combat system"... that is probably why I never played the original. For some reason I thought the series was more a slow-paced strategy/rpg game. Good to know about that element... I can take a pass on this one then.

Star Control/ Star Control II was pretty much the best game around in the early 1990's with humour, action and wholesome fun as understood back then to a kid who probably needed to get more sun. Nostalgic to me and it looks like they are not making the mistake of creating unnecessary complexity.

Compared to the massively penultimate & absolutely Fantasto-MegablastTastic
Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters HD Mod
this Starcontrol-Origins attempt - though first having looked promising with the space-battles and 3D ship stuff - is a wretched trainwreck with the speaking characters faces designed by a nobody-junk lamezombie braindead useless bread-waster.

If these lame Star Control remake attempts continue then NOTHING will ever come close the Absolute Magnificiliusness of
INTRO of Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters HD Mod
Witness the INTRO on above link and feel as a tiny, unremarkable human slave and prostate trembling before the ONLY GOD: (watch the intro until the alien megalords come)

These character designs and their voices will never be outdone! EVER! You will die a horribly unfinished human lookalike if you don't play this game to the end.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommend… "fast and furious combat system"… that is probably why I never played the original. For some reason I thought the series was more a slow-paced strategy/rpg game. Good to know about that element… I can take a pass on this one then.

The real time combat was really fun back in the 90s, but these days I'm with you. Turn based is much better; at the very least a game needs to be real-time with pause and a strong tactical/thinking element.

SC2 had several different mechanics/systems, though, and combat was only one part of it. You have genuinely interesting exploration and alien races. The Orz are (is?) one of the more interesting things to appear in a video game. The exploration mechanics and pace was handled very well, and each new discovery added something to the story and grabbed your attention. Someone above me mentioned comedy; it could also be a very funny game. The Spathi makes you laugh, the Orz and a few others make you really curious, and the Ur-Quan gets your attention and sucks you into the over-arching plot (great music, too).

Action combat or no, you could still watch a let's play. It really was one of the best games of its era.

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying this one, I just don't know when I'll be able to play it...

These character designs and their voices will never be outdone! EVER! You will die a horribly unfinished human lookalike if you don't play this game to the end.
I don't understand what the hell you're talking about but I like your attitude, Cthulhu Boy.

Didn't play Star Control 2 as much as I probably should have.

This, however, looks positively awful.

Back
Top Bottom