Copper Dreams - Alpha Testing Starting Now

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Copper Dreams announces the start of Alpha testing.

We wanted to let you know that your builds in Steam have been updated with the first alpha version for testing!

Do expect bugginess. This is a work in progress. Consider this access to feature additions and our bi-nightly builds of squashing all the bugs you'll see.

After designing the tick/tile system with the microtiles, we threw everything we could into it that was part of the original design of the game. Now that it's all in, or at least the fundamentals, it's time to start cleaning it all up on our end and get feedback from yours. The gameplay bugs need a lot more passes while we prep it for the beta (the actual start of the game) release, but if you'd like to follow along with the remainder of fixing things up and provide any feedback now's the time!

Update 1.01

We had pushed this out earlier yesterday, but have done a small patch since which fixed an ongoing issue with the gameplay around picking up and arranging items.

[1.01 Update notes here]

The alpha map is a small example map just to test some mechanics. You’ll start over on death to make that simple, or can retry upon success. Some of these early test maps like this we had done were a little more wild in terms of structure placement and navigation, so expect a little clunkiness getting around. The next map and mission for the alpha we put up will be a variation of newer ones, which are more blocky and fit more rigidly to the microtiles for easier horizontal and vertical navigation. Expect that 1.02 update Monday.

The Burning Candle Ruleset

These have been the primary goals we've been working toward making play nicely together since we launched the Kickstarter. We created a micro-turn based global world simulation with the ticks&tiles system, resulting in a much more concise, less abstract way to utilize a turn based roleplaying model. It's pretty groovy and we're very proud of what it is and what it can become — this alpha should hopefully show the fundamentals at work, if anything.

Working on Movement

Right now we're still smoothening out how things move on the tiles, and you'll notice some characters sort of popping around. Originally everything acted like pawns and just snapped tile-to-tile while they moved, which was easy to make sure everything was working properly, but now they have animations to blend between those tile locations. Sometimes that visually works great, others times they can look like they are possessed. This is something that could use some work to make things clear, as weird movement and animations can really dampen the mood. We're working on that, as well as other numerous bugs for 1.1.

There is one game mode and map available, and the rest will unlock the following two weeks, starting Monday. Other alpha maps will focus on other gameplay or ruleset elements that we will be finishing the last things on and putting in for them.

We’ll be posting our short-term timeline there so you can know when to expect new modes and features to be included for testing. You'll also get to choose what feature we'll work on for a big milestone: companions or character generation. We're almost done with both of them, so once we get what we need for 2.0 we'll finish one of those up!

Boxart

Things should be moving a lot quicker now, and we’re looking forward to your feedback. Thank you again for your patience and support to make something new and awesome, we always appreciate it.

Cheers
More information.

I... must... stop...buying... games! :sick:

What was it?

What was it?
It's was a low budget RPG that seems to have a cult following on certain sites.

The game was also never finished as the expansion/ending was put on hold. Despite that you might enjoy it , and it only costs $20. I say wait for a sale before you buy.

Look how slick Hannah and Joe's trailer is. They even got a dramatic-but-not-too-dramatic-movie-trailer-voice guy.

Look how slick Hannah and Joe's trailer is. They even got a dramatic-but-not-too-dramatic-movie-trailer-voice guy.
Well they sold their house from what I recall reading, and some of it probably went into making this trailer. So this game better be successful for them, and future games.:fingerscrossed:

I thought they sold their house because they moved to a new location but perhaps I am mistaken ?

Well they sold their house from what I recall reading, and some of it probably went into making this trailer. So this game better be successful for them, and future games.:fingerscrossed:

Man, that looks really cool. I love the new look of the game. I was concerned at first. But, seeing it in motion, i'm really glad they changed it.

I… must… stop…buying… games! :sick:

Wished to have that power myself. I feel as if already creating backlog for my retirement. And how this one is shaping up it will be hard to resist as well.

Don't know how I'm missing this but Copper Dreams does not come up in a Steam search.

That doesn't surprise me, Screeg, it is likely still quite a ways out from being finished and available. I also have no idea at all if they will take the early access route for this project.

...they specifically mention their alpha demo being available on Steam. AFAIK, there are no restricted Steam pages.

WOW, this looks good! Weren't they the team that changed their game look to SHTity cartoonish graphics? What happened with that junk? They woke up and dialed back those super-ugly cartoon outlines around the characters, apparently!

Back
Top Bottom