Stoneshard - The Prologue is available for free

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Check out the free prologue of the upcoming RPG Stoneshard:

Stoneshard

You start out as an ordinary mercenary, travelling across the medieval world of Aldor. The kingdom is about to fall, when a mysterious stranger makes you an offer you can't refuse. Set off on a dangerous journey, explore beautiful lands as the leader of your own caravan, recruit new allies and fight hordes of monsters. This adventure won't be easy, as you will have to deal with physical diseases, psychological traumas and disputes within your party.

Inspired both by classic roguelikes and modern RPGs, Stoneshard invites you to shape the future of Aldor… and die countless times along the way. Explore the grim medieval world in this epic turn-based adventure, welcoming and challenging both for roguelike veterans and newcomers.

Features:

• Explore the medieval kingdom - Embark on a journey through the vast procedurally-generated world of Aldor. Explore the dungeons, cities and forests of this once magnificent land, now ravaged by war.
  • Lead your caravan - Recruit new allies to your own caravan. Be a true leader and keep morale high, so you can get help and unravel the mysteries of your loyal followers.
  • Treat your wounds - Take medication or even drugs to treat physical wounds and diseases. Spot symptoms early and don't let your hero die of fever, blood loss or broken bones.
  • Fend off insanity - The horrors of a decaying, war-torn kingdom can maim your mind. Take care of your mental health and use different ways to fend off insanity and fear during your journey.
  • Build an unrivaled hero - Develop your hero however you like, be it an axe-wielding mage or a potion-brewing ninja. Choose from more than 100 weapons and build a unique skill set for your character.
  • Get tactical - Create your own play style, marching to victory with sword, sorcery or stealth. Study your enemies, learn to use the environment to your advantage and emerge victorious.
  • Decide the fate of Aldor - Pledge your allegiance to different factions fighting over Aldor. Your choices will decide the fate of the whole kingdom. Will you save Aldor or turn the kingdom into ashes?
  • Pray for victory - Follow the will of ancient Gods and gain some of their astounding power in return… if you are ready to pay the price, of course.
  • Die to fight another day - Don't let death frighten you. Should your hero perish, another shall rise up and take over the caravan, continuing your quest.
More information.

Do these games truly sell? The graphics look like something from the early 90's. Is this a phone game? I guess it would make sense on those, but I have a 1080Ti and don't want to insult it by playing something that looks like this :p

I'm not the biggest fan of rogue-likes these days, but for the turn based combat I'll likely give this prologue a whirl. After that, I'm certain I'll have a much better idea about trying out the full game itself.

For the graphics there's fans of this approach, and some players like me that can enjoy. It's not that easy to make cute graphics with this approach, but it seems there are resources for making such graphics, when it's not libraries of such graphics to pick and use.

I was reluctant until I played a few games with this approach I enjoyed quite a lot. I would advise check a simple game, Delver, to see how pixel graphics can look great. In fact Delver is going even further than that with such style, it's 3D, but 3D paper elements. And yeah it can look great, really.

For Stoneshard, I have the same problem that Carniflex, I'm not appealed to play more classic Roguelike. but unlike him single character combats don't appeal me, so I won't even bother try the free demo.

I guess it would make sense on those, but I have a 1080Ti and don't want to insult it by playing something that looks like this :p
For shame! I have a nice, mid-range rig myself and I don't even play fancy FPS type games with photorealistic environments, but there's always room at the table for retro. That said, crappy design is of course no good.

I really like the look of Delver, but not into real-time combat unfortunately.

Im' not into real time combat either, but Delver is one of the rare exceptions, that said it is easy on that aspect, not for me, but for players in general.

Last versions of the game improved even more how gorgeous it can look so often, clearly the dev got the collaboration for some people with a real talent for aesthetic.

EDIT: I would really suggest to Gothic fans to give it a try and focus on close combats. There are dodging and counter attack aspects, or time well an attack to counter a starting attack, a rhythm aspect, all of that could remind Gothic close combats even if they are very different.

EDIT: There's also a good variation of close range weapons, based on speed, range, and damages power. Plus some add a push back, and some more. It adds to diversity, and evokes a bit some similar aspects of Gothic 2 about ranges and speed.

Do these games truly sell? The graphics look like something from the early 90's. Is this a phone game? I guess it would make sense on those, but I have a 1080Ti and don't want to insult it by playing something that looks like this :p

Graphics look great to me but so did playing Witcher 3 on Ultra. No reason why I can't enjoy the look of both! =)

These days I'm leaning towards games with strong stories. At least for the time being rogue like games have gotten a bit old. Hum. Perhaps I should just be happy with games that have stories since not many of them are very strong....

I mean... it's a rougelike, 'course it has permadeath. Much easier to stomach in roguelites, and this caravan thing seems to be a "lite" concept?

What worries me is
Fend off insanity

Sounds to me like Darkest Dungeon. If it is frustrating on a similar level, count me out.
Did they really need another survival element in the game? Ah well, let's see.

I’d play the game if it followed something like the Diablo II death system. Re-gear & recovery. Allow me to quit and return to some hub or town. Permadeath games no thanks.

Crap… missed that is has permadeath. Cross it off my list.

What is it with all these permadeath games these days… is self-flagellation on the rise too?
No way I want sell this game, it seems it tried add some idea, but really Roguelike I don't care. But permadeath never stopped me. There's been plenty Rogulite games using permadeath not sustained by big variation at replay, plus some games with close to no procedural generation forcing a permadeath option.

I don't ignore them, I just do my manual saves myself, for most it's easy and fast, it makes saves a bit less often but the it adds a no permadeath option to the game.

I gave up on sword the pit, I admit there was something not bad, but for me the unlocks just add negative, combats aren't bad but it's still single character, so fairly good for a Roguelike but weak compared to good party combats.

Roguelike are down for me because there's more than enough good RPG or turn based tactical game to play. They had their time when RPG was rare, even more when turn based RPG was even more rare. But this time is over, for now.

There are some roguelikes (or rather roguelites) that I really enjoyed, for instance Heroes of Hammerwatch 2 (not the first one!), or Rogue Legacy.

Sword of the Stars felt not that great for me, maybe due to the combat, maybe due to the "survival" elements.

So that does not bode well for my reception of Stoneshard. I'm willing to give it a try though.

I keep reading this game's name as Stones-hard and don't want it on my desktop for that reason alone.

Back
Top Bottom