Grimoire - Review @Gamebanshee

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamebanshee reviewed Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar.

Beating a game. This expression doesn't hold a lot of meaning these days. Even the tough and challenging games are usually fairly straightforward and follow the same widely accepted tenets of game design. They exist to provide you with fun. Grimoire isn't like that. It doesn't want to be beaten. It challenges you to use your brain, and it's very good at doing so.

And while this can make the game feel quite inelegant at times, it's what makes it such a great adventure. You never know what to expect, how things work, what mysteries, foes or horrors await you around the corner, and what bits and pieces of information you may need later.

[...]
More information.

Pretty even handed review. The interface does have the oddities described which can be frustrating knowing how to interact with key objects. One in fact wouldn’t work unless you were not only on the right coordinate but facing the right direction. I also noticed the occasional high XP yield on trivial opponents. All that said it’s a brilliant old school game regardless of its shortcomings.

Especially NOW - after a mere year - it has now a Manual v1.0. I'm waiting til promised V3 however.

It's a fair, solid review, in my opinion. Really, if you enjoyed any of the Wizardry games and would like to play something similar with a more current user interface, Grimoire will not disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom