Vagrus: The Riven Realms - Companion Combat Defenses

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In the most recent development blog for Vagrus: The Riven Realms, the defenses of comabt companions are discussed.

In the last part of the Combat Guide we took a look at Companion Actions, including moving, Skills, and their combinations. This time, we'll delve into defensive stats and their importance.

Companion combat is cruel in Vagrus and in general you can not heal during it. Your defenses are your main way to mitigate damage, so understanding how they work is very important.

Basics

Vitality (VIT) is the stat that your fighters lose each time they are hit. When depleted, the Companion falls into a Downed state. When Downed, they can not act (they do not receive their turns) but can be targeted and damaged. They have their Downed Vitality for when they are Downed. If that, too, is depleted, they are Out of Action, which means long-term wounds and potentially death. Therefore, it behooves the player to protect Downed Companions as best they can. That said, there are a few methods to bring back Downed characters into action but none of these are easy or cheap.
More at the link.

More information.

Let's see if adding a few gifs can pique your interest enough to read the full post. :)

Companions getting in Downed state
downed.gif

Evade
evade.gif

Cover
cover.gif

This might be a big ask but is it possible to add an ambient breathing animation to still units, like they have in Iron Oath? (except not on undead like they have in Iron Oath because that looks goofy)

Perhaps the images could be adjusted from the waist up and simply raise and expand the chest slightly, with small corresponding movements in the arms and head. I like the attacks fine, but right now I find the static images a bit odd.

It looks to me that there aren't character animations as such - they snap between paintings of various poses, and slide around a bit.

This might be a big ask but is it possible to add an ambient breathing animation to still units, like they have in Iron Oath? (except not on undead like they have in Iron Oath because that looks goofy)

Perhaps the images could be adjusted from the waist up and simply raise and expand the chest slightly, with small corresponding movements in the arms and head. I like the attacks fine, but right now I find the static images a bit odd.

Yep, that's the plan. Their static stances are indeed odd and thus we have been creating all character idle assets in a layered manner to cater for animating them later on. It requires some time and expertise -khm money- though, so we will only do that part after our crowdfunding campaign (=have the budget for it). But again, it is definitely something we plan to implement before final release. :thumbsup:

Excellent! Would make a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom