Diablo - Released on GOG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Diablo has been released on GOG with high resolution support.

Traveler, stay awhile and listen...

Darkness stirs beneath Tristram. An ancient evil sweeps across the land, plunging it into civil war and terrorizing the populace. A mad king, his missing son, and a mysterious archbishop are all pieces of the puzzle you need to hack through. You have journeyed to the source of this evil. The town of Tristram - now inhabited only by a handful of survivors, broken and twisted by the madness that has befallen them. A cathedral stands there, built over the ruins of an ancient monastery. Eerie lights and ungodly sounds are heard echoing through its abandoned halls, and that is where you shall venture.

Embark, if you dare, on a quest to destroy The Prime Evil...

• Experience the legendary action/RPG that influenced an entire genre.
  • Storm Diablo's halls as either a Warrior, a Sorcerer or a Rogue - each with unique skills and abilities.
  • Unite to destroy Diablo - up to 4 players can band together via Internet, or play head-to-head via direct IP.
  • Unprecedented replayability - over 200 different monsters inhabit Diablo's ever-changing labyrinth. Equip epic items to conquer fearsome bosses and their minions.
  • A spine-chilling story - experience the horror of a world held in the grasp of The Lord of Terror.

Ahhh, fresh meat!

Travelers looking for the authentic Diablo experience can play the game as it was in 1996, with period-appropriate 20 FPS SVGA graphics, and the ability to matchmake through the classic version of Blizzard's Battle.net(R) online-gaming service.
For those wanting something a bit more modern, Blizzard and GOG.COM have collaborated on an updated version of the game tuned for today's gaming PCs, which includes out-of-the-box Windows 10 compatibility, a host of bug fixes and high-resolution support.

• The most voted game on the GOG.com wishlist, finally trapped in a DRM-free soulstone!
  • Return to the beginning of this dark saga, now in digital format for the first time ever.
  • Better value than Wirt's wares, guaranteed.
More information.

Ahhhh, yes. The game over which I forced my parents to get a second phone line.

Diablo was a fantastic game for its time, but it's a shame it took so long to finally be released again. This should have been on GOG years ago.

This game made me get my first 3D card. S3 Virge.

And then there was the online footstep lag:

step-step-step-step-step...............................stpstpstpstpsteppepepepepepsstepstep-step

one step closer to a true atmospheric arpg.
wonder if the new mods will mork on it

had a great time with this back in the days but let's admit it. It didn't age well.

had a great time with this back in the days but let's admit it. It didn't age well.

Except for the resolution it aged considerably better than Diablo 2.

This one is very coherent in tone and style and feels tight in gameplay and size.

Still a masterpiece. Whenever I start a new game I am hooked.

Diablo was a fantastic game for its time, but it's a shame it took so long to finally be released again. This should have been on GOG years ago.

I agree. I'm glad to see it on GOG, especially with high resolution support, as it truly is a classic but I actually have no interest myself as Grim Dawn has surpassed it in every way /for me personally/ plus I actually still have the original CD installation media.

I still remember working at the PC store way back when ... the traveling software rep came to the shop and told me I *had* to check it out and I was immediately hooked; I still smile when I remember the sound of the bow firing coupled with the gurgling death sounds of a goat-man. Good times.

Man, this is a game where they must have printed game discs for a long time. Even as physical discs were dying, I would see the Diablo box crop up reeatedly in the odd Walmart.

When Skyrim was released, there was Diablo with its worn box corners on a shelf next to Morrowind and little else. One day, alien archeologists will be sifting through plastic water bottles and come across a copy of Dianlo.

What I also love about Diablo 1 and 2 is their accessibility and intuitive and simple to use UI.

I played Diablo 2 before and it was fast paced and addictive. I have just started Diablo 1 and I am enjoying the slower pace, atmosphere and gradual progression.

I didn't care that much for it when it came out and doubt I would like it more now. There was a diablo scenario/download for nwn or nwn2 that wasn't too bad.

I wonder how would it sound if the whole audience impersonated the Butcher:
- AAAAAAAAHHHH FRESH MEAT!!!!!!!!!

Boring clicker, this is probably the only game I’ve ever played to completion that I didn’t like. I was pretty poor back then so I toughed it out since i spent the money.

I steered clear of any diablo or diablo like games until i tried diablo 3 since i could co-op with my son. We both got bored and quit playing. Maybe in another 20 years ill give it another shot. Diablo 4 might be out by then.

Anyway, i assumed it was already on GOG, but i guess not.

So, since noone else mentioned it yet: This is a pretty major classic release, suspiciously close to the announcement of the end of GOG's fair price package program.
And this together with promises of more Blizzard classics to be released on GOG.

Maybe Blizzard was compelled by the reduced GOG tariffs resulting from the FPPP end?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom