Knights of the Chalice II - Pre-Kickstarter Interview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Pierre Begue was interviewed by RPG Codex about Knights of the Chalice 2.

2) Taking a look at the KotC2 FAQ and seeing the sheer number of classes, feats and spells listed, it's obvious the game is significantly more complex than KotC1. Great complexity usually goes hand in hand with a propensity for bugs. How do you tackle this challenge? Do you have any plans for an extended beta period, perhaps within the Steam Early Access framework after the Kickstarter is done?

Yes, it's true that complexity goes hand in hand with bugs. But I've already spent a long time fixing bugs in KotC 2, based on the principle that 'I fix it as soon as I see it'. So I think that the game is quite stable now. I expect that most of the remaining bugs will be associated with spells and psionic powers that I've not been able to test sufficiently so far. I'll fix all the remaining bugs once I get bug reports after the end of the Kickstarter campaign. After that, we can have a proper launch of KotC 2 Augury of Chaos on Steam. Steam Early Access is probably not needed in this case.

3) Unlike KotC1 the new game will feature skills, including social skills, a substantial amount of them actually. How important are those skills gameplay-wise? Where do they find application?

Skills are important as they give you access to more dialogue options. These extra dialogue options often grant benefits to the player's party. For example, with the [Nature] skill, you may be able to identify monster tracks, allowing the party to avoid being surprised when the monsters attack. You may also be able to collect herbs that allow the party members to recover Hit Points or their daily spells and psionic powers. With the [Mantis Light Sleep] skill, you may avoid a surprise attack taking place when the party is resting. At one point in the game, a Coven of Witches demands some blood from the party. Gameplay-wise, it means losing some Hit Points permanently. But if you have the [Bard Perform] skill, you can use it to avoid losing Hit Points. The party will not get blocked if it lacks any particular skill, but having more skills may make the experience more enjoyable.

[...]
More information.

Wasn't that interview posted here already? Just asking, because I believe I've read his answer on the question "When will KotC1 be released on Steam/GOG/EPIC Games store/insert other game store of your choice?" here.

Last edited:
There's a lot to like in that interview. The toolset sounds particularly amazing, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. Hopefully there will be plenty of new mods made with it!

Indeed. While I'm not entirely happy with how the game will look (at least for now), I'm quite pleased with all the additional assets that we'll get with the toolset. I'll be there on day one with wallet in hand!

Just thinking about playing a proper turn-based D&D CRPG complete with psionics makes me grin a little.

So, the game's done and the Kickstarter will be for another campaign but there's a campaign editor coming anyway?

Where's the multiplayer?

I want to see a lobby full of user made modules and automatically download them when I join their game.

He says dice are a big part of RPGs but dice are from board games and multiplayer is the main part of board games.

So, the game's done and the Kickstarter will be for another campaign but there's a campaign editor coming anyway?
Uh, yes? Only a handful of games with modding tools actually end up with a thriving mod community. At least, that's been my experience with single-player RPGs.

I'll be looking forward to the first complete replacement set of tiles.

Seems kinda lame to do a Kickstarter when your game is finished.

So, if you don't pledge on Kickstater to get your Steam key the Steam page will just say coming soon, or what?

He's obviously just hoping the Kickstarter will act as a marketing tool.

D&D will have a shitload of people making modules. If you go find Unlimited Adventures as an example you can see there's a million modules made.

If it only had multiplayer we could have finally had a turn based Neverwinter Nights sort of thing. That's what tabletop players have wanted for ever. The tokens would be far more acceptable if it was a tabletop D&D simulator. :(

Last edited:
But there already is a tabletop simulator, isn't there? I don't keep up with that scene but I've read about the many different ways to play.

This is a toolset to enable the creation of single player offline D&D style modules. Isn't the table top simulator more a tool to enable a DM and players to P&P remotely?

Edit: sorry, ignore this screeg - I've now read the post preceding yours and understand your point.

Back
Top Bottom