Beyond a Steel Sky - Releasing 2019

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports that Beyond a Steel Sky will release sometime in 2019. The game is a sequel to adventure classic Beneath a Steel Sky.

Revolution Software has announced it has reunited with legendary comic book artist Dave Gibbons to create Beyond a Steel Sky - the long-awaited follow-up to classic 90's dystopian cyberpunk adventure Beneath a Steel Sky.

According to the press release, the game will tell is a thrilling story of loyalty and redemption set in an eery and terrifying world of AI-driven social controls. As can be expected of a Revolution adventure, the tale is woven with the studio's signature humor, supported by Gibbons' acclaimed artistic style.

[...]

More information.

Does that video belong to the article? Seems it is only about Apple's new mobile gaming platform. At least skipping through it I can't find anything related.

Anyways, exciting times to be a gamer it seems. So many (promising) games being announced and released. Beneath a Steel Sky is a classic. Of course, that's no recipe for success so it is always better to view it separate from any prequels just like bloodlines.

Does that video belong to the article? Seems it is only about Apple's new mobile gaming platform. At least skipping through it I can't find anything related.

Anyways, exciting times to be a gamer it seems. So many (promising) games being announced and released. Beneath a Steel Sky is a classic. Of course, that's no recipe for success so it is always better to view it separate from any prequels just like bloodlines.

There is game footage in the video from 17 seconds onwards.

Ah sorry, I just went to the middle and they were talking about and showing other games. :) Should be more patient.

Phone games, meh. Loved Beneath a Steel Sky, loved Broken Sword 1-2 and was disappointed with all later games, including BS5. Soulless feeling, to me. After playing 2 hours of BS5 I had to go replay Broken Sword 2. Thanks god for Wadjet Eye production.

Last edited:
Wow, what a coincidence! I've just been playing Beneath a Steel Sky. I completed it decades ago, and fancied another play through... God, I feel old.

Before the video, my thoughts: "Oh, cool, Beneath a Steel Sky was awesome!"
Second sentence of the developers: "Super ambitious in that it is taking a full high quality console game directly to mobile!"
My thoughts: Kthxbye.

Phone games, meh.

"Super ambitious in that it is taking a full high quality console game directly to mobile"
My thoughts: Kthxbye.

Not quite sure why hate the mobile mobile games prospect here -- the touch screen is very good for these kind of point'n'click games.

IF the gameplay is not dumbed down, I'm sold, regardless of being a mobile game.
Again, IF the game is not dumbed down.

Not quite sure why hate the mobile mobile games prospect here -- the touch screen is very good for these kind of point'n'click games.

IF the gameplay is not dumbed down, I'm sold, regardless of being a mobile game.

Well, its called experience. And it says to me: "avoid it".

Custom-written cutting-edge graphics technology delivers a beautiful, realtime, comic-book-styled world in HDR & 4K to complement the artwork of Dave Gibbons.
For all I know a phone that would roll 4K with at least 30 FPS doesn't exist.
I don't care about 4K placebo but it's mention promises the game isn't yet another applestore shovelware.

There is another thing that IMO doesn't sound right:
A unique, rich game experience in an bounded sandbox world, interwoven with a deep narrative.
Not unique really - Rockstar's Bully did it. Maybe there is something more to it in this game though.

Won't be a naysayer right away. I liked Bully but stopped playing it midway because of the game's crashing to desktop every 10 minutes and lack of save anywhere - Rockstar never patched the PC version.
There is a possibility Beyond a Steel Sky plays well with k+m and doesn't use checkpoints only. If it's not a collection of design crimes on PC, I'm gonna buy it.

There is a possibility Beyond a Steel Sky plays well with k+m

... which assumes the game will be 3D.
If this is the case, then I'm bailing out -- Gibbons' art simply cannot be translated to 3D.
Beyond HAS TO BE an old fashioned 2D game with a point'n'click or touch/tap interface.

Problem is that such games are extremely hard to sell.
However, Thimbleweed Park, Wadjet Eye / Daedalic games prove that there is a small but healthy niche marked for old school point'n'click adventures.

Let's hope for the best.

Quite simple: If a game is designed for a small touch screen, it WILL suffer from a multitude of problems on a real gaming device. Absurdly large icons, weird controls, simplified mechanics to appease the more casual mobile audience (though given an adventure game might not lose much here), in-game purchase shenanigans, low-res textures/models, lack of proper PC settings (like control/graphics options), non-PC UI (see many console ports for this, too), just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Is it possible in theory to make a great PC port from a game developed for mobile? Sure.
But you might be less likely to be disappointed if you wait for Santa to bring you presents personally.
So if a game dev already starts with how they focus on mobile, for any PC gamer all alarms go off.

There is a real trailer with a few highlights like railroad or creepy gang of "gang gang birds" that ppl will call by a little different name :) (and joxer will pre-order). :)

There is a real trailer

Ouch. Generic cel-shaded 3d look #23458.
FYI, Dave Gibbons is a world-famous comics artist, well known for his very unique art style (notable example: Watchmen, the comicbook)
Unfortunately this game has nothing to do with his craft.
A waste of talent in this project, that's what I'd say.

Back
Top Bottom