From Software - Open World Souls Game?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
TechRaptor reports on a rumour that G.R.R. Martin is working with From Software on an open world souls game.

Gaming historian and journalist Liam Robertson, who's previously been proven correct in regard to rumors about BioWare's then-unannounced Anthem, Mass Effect Andromeda's animation, and the cancellation of Scalebound, showed up on Twitter timelines yesterday with yet another rumor, this one surrounding FromSoftware.

Robertson then passed it on to YouTuber Spawn Wave, who claimed on Twitter: "One part of the rumor is even hard for me to believe and I'm the one reporting the rumor." That part refers to a possible collaboration of the Japanese developers with the high priest of grimdark fantasy, George R.R. Martin, creator of A Song of Ice and Fire, the basis for the enormously popular HBO adaptation, Game of Thrones.

[...]
More information.

George, stop playing with the kids and go finish writing that damn last book right away, damn you!!!

Well, at least he's been doing something. :p

I'm highly skeptical, especially considering the date. Liam is usually pretty trustworthy as far as I've seen, though.

Hmm so a Japanese developer known for combat simulator RPG's who never made an open world RPG getting the GOT IP? Yeah right good one but I doubt this will happen.

So I'm with the others calling this an early Aprils Fool joke.

Last edited:
Hmm so a Japanese developer know for combat simulator RPG's who never made an open world RPG getting the GOT IP? Yeah right good one but I doubt this will happen.

So I'm with the others calling this an early Aprils Fool joke.

I don't think this is legit, but you're wrong about From Software not making open-world RPGS. That's actually how they got their start.

I don't think this is legit, but you're wrong about From Software not making open-world RPGS. That's actually how they got their start.
Do tell as I don't follow this developer. First time I heard about them was Demon Souls in 2009. Checking the wiki page it doesn't show any popular open world games.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FromSoftware

Mostly Kings Field and Armored Core but I don't see any open world RPGs.

Do tell as I don't follow this developer. First time I heard about them was Demon Souls in 2009. Checking the wiki page it doesn't show any popular open world games.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FromSoftware

Mostly Kings Field and Armored Core but I don't see any open world RPGs.

You might want to take a closer look at the King's Field games. ;)

You mean this 80's looking game.:biggrin:

The sequels look the same with better graphics.

Man, King's Field was just so damn great.....I'd honestly be afraid of what it would look like now, a new iteration I mean. Most classic stuff that is revived tends to disappoint, at least that's been my experience.

I played the second King's Field for the first time this year (it's KF2 in Japan, KF in the US). It's basically a dungeon crawler, but yeah, you could call it an "open world" of sorts, since the whole world is seamless from the start, you just do not know how to get to places. Also, yeah, it's ugly as shit, but it's an awesome dungeon crawler (for a console, that is).

I played the second King's Field for the first time this year (it's KF2 in Japan, KF in the US). It's basically a dungeon crawler, but yeah, you could call it an "open world" of sorts, since the whole world is seamless from the start, you just do not know how to get to places. Also, yeah, it's ugly as shit, but it's an awesome dungeon crawler (for a console, that is).

Did you actually play it on a PSOne or did you use an emulator? I highly recommend an emulator as it makes a significant difference in the visuals for those early 3D games.

The sequel is very good as well, or at least it was for its time. I'm not sure how well it holds up today. I have very fond memories of both games, but that was 20 years ago.

Martin is the most over rated author EVER.

I’ll laugh so hard if this turns out to be true. He’s a complete parody of himself at this point.

Back
Top Bottom