Wasteland 3 - Building Up the Ranger Force

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Wasteland 3 demonstrates the character building process and announces an E3 presense.

Building Up the Ranger Force

Communications Wasteland

It's been a while since our last update, and that's because we've been hard at work on Wasteland 3, and getting a lot of the core pieces of the game in-place. As we've said before, the game is effectively playable from start to finish--but there's still a megaton of work left to go. Sure, you can complete quests and navigate most of the areas, but this is the most time-intensive stretch of the project. We have the bones--the skeleton is there--but it's filling it with all the sinew, cartilage, and guts that really make the Wasteland experience what it is. Things are really shaping up, but the most critical work is just getting started. We've been hiring and growing the company, as well as putting a lot of the new Microsoft development resources to good use, and that's going to help us be able to make Wasteland 3 even bigger and better.​

We'll have development updates to share during E3, so look forward to our next update with more specifics then.​

Face to Face in the Wasteland

As you saw in our Fig campaign launch trailer, Wasteland 3 is the first game in the series to feature a cinematic conversation system. It gets you up close and personal with the big story characters you'll encounter in Colorado, and one of those is MacTavish. He's a coarse, blustering mechanic in Colorado Springs, who wears a luchador mask because . . . well . . . you'll have to wait and see.​

In this update we wanted to share some of the process that's going into bringing this character to life. First it starts with a character pitch or write-up, and from those largely text-based descriptions the artists work up concepts and shape studies to hone on in a final look and design for the character's appearance and style. In an effort to not spoil too much we'll skip ahead a bit to his final concept piece.​

Once we have a concept done we'll move on to a high-poly model like this one, which we'll break down into the pieces that will help give it a high quality appearance in-game, but without requiring a super-computer to render. After that comes mocap, and then the voice recording we've done is married to that with final animations.​

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F05%2F14%2F1ad0b01e-6736-4201-b4b8-e47071947002
This is a look at his masked face model, which isn't too far from what you'll see in-game. We'll have more to share on MacTavish in the future, as well as the creative process for bringing some of our other characters to life.​

[...]​
More information.

I'm guessing mid 2020 /early 2021 for a possible release?

Since it sounds that way based on these updates.

No problem, I'm excited about this one and I want to see them take their time to get it right. It ain't like I don't have a 35-game backlog.

It says Q4 2019 on the Fig page. That still gives them 6 months or so to get the game completed.

I pre-ordered this a good long while ago so I'm excited about it. Not thrilled with the snowy setting this time, but the rest of the features sounds pretty cool, like a new conversation system.

It says Q4 2019 on the Fig page. That still gives them 6 months or so to get the game completed.
Yes but those dates are never accurate and they still need to beta test it.:(

I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for this one, but I'm hoping they hit a home run with the project. Wasteland two was pretty decent, and topping that one won't be easily done.

Will this be released as Wasteland 2 was, which was kind of lame… Or will this be released in Wasteland 2 Director's Cut quality, which was awesome?

Wasteland 2 was kind of lame in any version I suppose :lol:
I was very underwhelmed when it came out..

Did not read it yet, but do the skill/stat descriptions make sense now? Do you know what affects which? Without consulting internet guides it was practically impossible to make a good char for a certain role in WL2. The toaster skill was still a waste...

With MS money they may be able to finish the game in time. But i would rather have them taking their time and have a more polished launch than being on time with a buggy release.

I am glad to have completely avoid total trainwrecks WasteOfTimeLand 1-2 and now 3 of that SHT train.

Yeah if you had a poor experience with the first version of Wasteland two, you should give it a try on the most recent. This was another one of those games that reminded me that you shouldn't jump into new games the moment they are released, better to wait for updates and fixes and be less frustrated.

Well, count me in the "enjoyed Wasteland 2: director's cut" camp. Really, the game's only flaw was its companions - both in their lack of interplay with the storyline and how their skills were set up. It was difficult to plan a squad with full skill coverage without researching/spoiling what was covered by recruitable npcs. Otherwise, I found it to be a great game and one of the more enjoyable RPGs from the last few years.

But you know what, I think that I'm skeptical about inXile. I didn't like WL2 (in its release state) but I also hate Torment: Tides of Numenera. I played the demo or played in one of those "free weekend" of Steam, don't remember. All I know is that I couldn't play more than 30 min of this game. My impression of the game was that the game is a boring colossal wall of text. And I remember InXile boasting about it: "Torment has the longest script we've ever produced at over 1.2 million words". Don't get me wrong, I do a lot of reading and writting for living, but beign wordy is not considered a good thing in my field.

Back
Top Bottom