SpellForce 3: Soul Harvest - Review @ Powerup-Gaming

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Powerup-Gaming checked out the RTS/RPG hybrid Spellforce 3: Soul Harvest:

Spellforce 3 Soul Harvest Review - A Masterclass in RTS-RPG Hybrids

Spellforce is an old real-time-strategy RPG franchise that inspires an awful lot of love and nostalgia in its fans. Now Grimlore Games has released a story-rich standalone expansion, Spellforce 3 Soul Harvest, in the style of Warcraft and Age of Empires.

Spellforce 3 Soul Harvest eloquently chronicles the aftermath of the Purity Wars in Nortander, in which an uneasy peace has settled on the land following wars spurred by anti-magic sentiment.

You--a disgraced general--are abruptly summoned home by your queen to deal with some unrest amongst the dwarven factions stirred up by a mysterious hatemonger. Meanwhile, the dark elves have taken to harvesting souls, because, reasons.

It naturally follows that these two factions, with the human faction planted firmly in the middle, are the focus of the game. Each has its own playable hero with specific characteristics.

[...]

The production values of Spellforce 3 Soul Harvest simply ooze style; the visuals are stunning and the voice acting is brilliantly charming. And the game certainly isn't lacking in reasons for you to care about the plight of its world and its inhabitants - I had a blast talking with the NPCs around the world; particularly a certain blacksmith, who had me crying with laughter (as my housemates can attest).

The game's developers claim that the campaign ought to take approximately 20 hours to complete but I for one took longer than that. I'm a sucker for side quests and I just have to find every last chest in existence.

And then there's the option to play multiplayer co-op in both campaign and skirmish modes, and is, of course, as amusing or as deeply competitive and friendship-ending as you wish to make it.

If you've been hankering for a slick RTS-RPG with polished gameplay and a powerful emotional core, and you don't mind some serious multitasking, you'll have a great time with Spellforce 3 Soul Harvest.

Score: 8/10
More information.

Back
Top Bottom