Gothic 3 – Forsaken Gods

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Didn't see this coming but...
JoWooD announces official Gothic 3 Add-On

Liezen, Austria, April 14th 2008; JoWooD Productions announces the official Add-On for the award winning roleplaying game Gothic 3. Gothic 3 – Forsaken Gods will answer many open questions and guarantee a seamless step to Gothic 4. Once more you take on the role of the nameless Hero and again you have to raise your sword in anger to save the world of Gothic. On your journey you will meet old friends – but be careful, some old alliances may not have lasted the test of time….

JoWood is working on the expansion and the feedback from fans is extremely important to the developer of Gothic 3 - Forsaken Gods. The game designer and developer are studying the Gothic message boards each day and will incorporate as many of the fan-wishes as possible while working on the extension.

The release of Gothic 3 - Forsaken Gods is planned for Q4 2008. Further information will follow soon!
More information.

Good one, woges. Q4 2008--that sounds very soon.

Rushed product in a bid to try to keep the fans to stay and not run away with PB?

Last edited:
I loved G1 & G2. As for G3, even if it had no bugs at all, just didnt grab me like G1 & G2 did. Still, this is an interesting and unexpected announcment and give the current drought of single player RPGs I look forward to seeing what becomes of this.

How do you know it's not PB doing it? It's probably Spellbound but there is no mention of the dev team as yet. Or possible co-op like the last patch?

Rushed product in a bid to try to keep the fans to stay and not run away with PB?
What makes you believe it will be rushed? I don´t see any indication for this.

One of the print mags (PC Games I think) wrote that JoWooD will announce the developer and other details soon. The plan for the add-on is apparently to integrate it into G3 like NotR into G2.
Would make a lot of sense because the game would gain a lot from adding some depth to the fluff.

The part about discussion with the developer is only marketing blabla. If they want to ship in Q4 they are close to the feature freeze. They can hardly take up community suggestions apart from the things already in the design doc.

How do you know it's not PB doing it? It's probably Spellbound but there is no mention of the dev team as yet. Or possible co-op like the last patch?
Several people from PB posted a few weeks ago, when the first hint about the add-on leaked, that they don´t know anything about a G3 add-on (-> that´s the part they have to say no matter what ;) ) and they can say with 100% certainty that they are not involved in one, neither as developer nor as consultant.

I guess the 2nd half is not a lie.

Well, when I read it I first hoped, it said Gothic 3 UBER patch coming togheter with an add-on, will fix the game and make it great in every possible way´!

But this sounds more like, let us try to earn some money with a quick fix, and by asking the fans for as many suggestions as possible make them think we care. But there is not enough time to implement what they ask for or we will rush it like crazy to implement it without any testing or balancing....

The game designer and developer are studying the Gothic message boards each day and will incorporate as many of the fan-wishes as possible while working on the extension.

Here's one: Don't.

In the "Eye of the Beholder"

Weeeeeell,

to keep it fair nowhere in their writing it stated they would consider future suggestions - just that they would use suggestions (already made over the past few months they´ve been working on the Add-On?! ;) ) in the future, i.e. the time until the Add-On is completed.

And there have been proposals, drafts for improvements, and criticism of course, all throughout since Gothic 3 came into light.
No one probably has barred the developers from resorting to those since their beginning w/ the 3 Add-On.
Adding to that, there is the rich breeding ground around the activities from the CPT-Team, with the members of which the (supposed) dev team (i.e. Spellbound - who else?) have been engaged in a ever closer co-operation and exchange of views over said past months.

So, all i say, there is enough substantial ground to feed the discussed statement from their announcement
- if you lean towards a little "lawyer-like" reading style.
:deal:

Ragon :ahoy:

Maybe this add-on IS the long-hoped-for "Über-Patch" ?

I never played Gothic 1, Gothic 2 was decent. Gothic 3 was one of the biggest disappointments in rpg's, the story and setting were uninteresting (and not "believable"), and the gameplay in general was not fun especially combat which was really poorly done. Maybe if combat had been interesting I could have enjoyed the game somewhat. I can't really imagine getting any more Gothics unless there's some sort of big overhaul just using Gothic as the name.

There's a new PB interview on the front page where they state the "truce" with JoWood simply means they are free to go about their separate projects (ie., without legal interruptions) and "nothing is planned at the moment" between the two.

So, not likely to be PB. I'd guess Spellbound is busy, so my random dart throw says a third developer.

I guess I'm waiting to see just what kind of add-on it will be. For instance... with the NotR add-on for Gothic II, I was willing to play the whole game over again, just to enjoy the add-on, because G2 was a truly great game (IMO). However, if this add-on will require you to play the game again... I'm not interested, because G3 was just very meh for me... I can't imagine playing it again.

If the add-on is something you can install and just play it on its own... then I'm definitely interested.

First, there was the Dungeon Lords expansion and sequel, and now this. What will be the next unexpected add-on? Lionheart?

I'm not sure I'm really interested in this one if it's not designed by PB. Not that I'm particularly loyal to them, but in my experience when a game in a series is designed by a different developer than the original one, it just isn't the same. And when the brand is handled by too many of them, it ceases to mean anything.

Still, we shall see when it's released how it will turn out.

I personally feel that it might just turn out quite good. There is an undeniable potential in Gothic 3 - the world, atmosphere, music, graphics.. it's all good. Add some depth and tweak the combat system (can certainly be done in an add-on), and it's suddenly a top notch game.

I never made it through original Gothic 3: got tired of runnng away from hordes of orcs/undead that were too boring and rather hard to fight with; "bring XX of YYYYY" quests were annoying, towns and villages felt like separate "levels" of an action game with little to no connections between them and each new "level" forced me to gain respect from the very beginning, doing all sort of odd jobs for the dwellers. Choices and options were greatly reduced compared to G2(which in its turn lacked choices compared to arcanum and fallout, although definitely was greatly above the average in this aspect - and overall, too).

Getting all of this fixed in addon seems highly improbable. Might be worth giving it a try this fall though if both Fallout 3 and Fable 2 turn out to be crap, which is, sadly, much less improbable.

Back
Top Bottom