Humankind - Interview @Wccftech

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Jeff Spock of Amplitude was interviewed by Wccftech about Humankind.

CW - Essentially, we're all a hotbed of different inputs.

JS - Exactly! We absolutely are. We're like this DNA stew of everything that came before. We really wanted to make a game about our history that respected that. So this idea of having 10 cultures in six areas which mathematically is indeed one million potential play through possibilities. I think it's respectful of Earth history and Earth cultures, more than playing the Americans, being American, they're always Americans and always going to be Americans.

It's like "Yeah, but, I'm in the medieval era now in front of the Babylonians who were gone by now", that sort of thing. We'd like to get away from that kind of anachronism. If there is an anachronism, we like it to be purposefully chosen by the player. So, I chose the Romans in the classical era and I'm doing well enough and I want to gain more fame - which is our victory condition - so I'm going to push and be the Romans in the medieval era. If you're going to be out of step, it's voluntary. When you're the medieval era, you're going to look around see medieval cultures, not classical or Bronze Age cultures. So we have a nod to historical accuracy as far as the other cultures that appear at a period in the time of the game.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

This is a game I'm wating for. IMO, the more CIV games, the better :)
Obviously Amplitude is competing against the game which is, probably, the most widely known Historical Earth 4X game around, and that's no small task. Let's see how does Humankind fare. I wish them success! :)

Last edited:
Definitely on my radar. I just love 4x games.. I played CIV since the very first one.
But I can't say I like this feature of switching cultures (I guess) once you advance to a different era.

Absolutely on my most-wanted list! EL was a pretty good game with some interesting ideas and I'm really excited about the prospect of them trying to do a new take on a historical 4x game.

Personally, I like the switching cultures idea... I'm up for anything that might feel fresh in this genre.

Back
Top Bottom