Silk - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Explore the ancient silk road in the simulation RPG Silk:

Silk

Enter the biggest handcrafted open world of all time, fifty times larger than Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall! Explore three million square miles of uncharted terrain from Roman Damascus to Three Kingdoms China in an exploration RPG that transports you onto the Ancient Silk Road of 200AD.

From a parallel dimension where they still make keyboard-controlled, square-based RPGs in 2019 comes the new game from Chris Bateman (Discworld Noir, Ghost Master, Heretic Kingdoms). Can you puzzle out the secrets of the four distinct challenges await you in Silk?

• Explore the vast expanse of the Silk Road in an epic journey across dangerous wilderness as The Traveller.
  • Overthrow Rome's greatest enemy, the powerful Parthian Empire, as The Rebel.
  • Master the art of raiding to capture the fortunes of rival kingdoms as The Warlord.
  • Carve out a trading empire between the brutal battlegrounds of the Silk Road as The Noble.
One colossal world, four unique challenges. Do you have what it takes to master Silk?

• Level up any seven of the thousands of Advisors in the game as you hire your perfect party, each of which unlocks hundreds of unique choices in the world
  • Battle, Trade, or Explore: play the game your way as you amass a well-provisioned caravan or build your own renegade army
  • Discover the lost genre of tile-based RPGs (Eye of the Beholder, The Bard's Tale) remastered for the twenty first century
More information.

The attraction to stupidly large games (geographically) without the content to fill up that space is forever baffling to me. "50 times the size of Daggerfall" is the biggest turnoff imaginable.

Discover the lost genre of tile-based RPGs

Lost for a reason, if you ask me. :D

I Kickstarted this but have yet to play it extensively. The biggest gripes that are holding me back (besides finding time) are the 'keyboard'-only controls and the lack of an on-screen compass.

The beta contained some mouse-support, but it was disabled because the dev couldn't implement it on time for the Switch release.
The on-screen compass was suggested by multiple users as a QoL-improvement, but it was stated that the lack of it adds to an 'old skool' feel. (Granted, you can see the direction you are facing when in a menu). Since the size of the world is so huge however, I think it would help navigating.

I like projects like this, so I *will* spend additional time with it. I'm curious about the actual game, so far it has just been fiddling around for me.

Back
Top Bottom