Corven - Path of Redemption - Lord British Officially in Corven

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Lord British will be apart of the storyline for Corven - Path of Redemption.

Lord British, the King of Britannia from the Ultima series and the alter ego of Ultima creator Richard Garriott, will officially be in Corven!

After reading my story outline for Lord British in Corven, Richard Garriott was kind enough to take some time out of his busy schedule to have a brainstorming session with me to further refine this part of the Corven storyline. Once we were happy with the result, he officially agreed to have the Lord British character in Corven!

Lord British will not just be a gimmick in Corven, but will play an essential role in the main storyline.

I would love to tell you more details about the story, but I don't want to spoil it for you. I might be biased, but I have to say, the story is amazing and it will translate into an amazing game.

I can also honestly say that Richard Garriott's keen sense for an exciting CRPG plot is incredible and it was a pleasure to have this brainstorming session with him.

Now it is up to us to turn this plot into a compelling game.

Richard Garriott agreed to have additional brainstorming sessions in the future, so you can be sure that Corven will have a storyline worthy of an Ultima.

So all you classic CRPG fans out there, and especially all you dear Ultima fans, Corven is now the closest thing to a new single player Ultima game that you can get in the near future. Stay tuned and please support us in the upcoming Kickstarter so we can make all this a reality.

Development is on track for the release of the fully playable demo in spring 2020 and the Kickstarter will begin at the same time!

Please spread the word about Corven! It's difficult to get the word out as small indie team and we rely on you for word of mouth support.

THANK YOU!
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Hmmm.

Indie game might have stood a chance on it's own merits.

Connected to the scammer Richard Garriott, only fools would kickstart anything now.

Yep, went from interested to not....this guy is a fraud.

This gameplay video is surprisingly beautiful and relaxing. You can feel Ultima 7-8 without even mentioning Lord British.
Amazing graphics and very nice dialogue fonts. How an exceptional RPG should look like. Music is excellent. The camera angle is superb.

Just as I was showing the horrified Drizzt-fans 13 years ago, how I murdered their favorite hero, Drizzt Do'Urden, in Baldur's Gate, I hope I can execute Lord British in this game too. :D

I wonder if Garriott's script changes included an online store to sell his blood. His soul is "out of stock."

Whatever the heck happened with Ultima and Richard Garriott is one of the saddest stories in gaming. The last two decades have been a trainwreck, but once upon a time, and for a long time, the Ultima series was one of the best and most important in RPG history. I'll always have fond memories of especially VI and VII.

Ultima IV was a big damn deal for me. I played the hell out of that one. Not entirely sure what happened to the Rudy Giuliani of gaming.

Yup, I was a huge fan of the Ultima series, starting when I played the second game in....eighty-two, I think it was? I played each game that followed right up to the eighth one, and three through seven got replayed many times by me. However, the recent kick starter fiasco completely soured me on the Ultima series, and that as they say is that.

Ultima IV was a big damn deal for me. I played the hell out of that one. Not entirely sure what happened to the Rudy Giuliani of gaming.

I bought every subsequent Ultima game, but I had a pirated copy of Ultima IV, given to me (courtesy of someone who worked with my dad) along with a Commodore 64. So I didn't know how to play it, and those were the days when interfaces consisted of each thing you could do being a discrete key on the keyboard. And figuring out the reagent/spell system? Forget it. I learned how to cast cure so I could get rid of poison, but pretty much nothing beyond that.

But I was fascinated by it all the same. I've never been the sort of RPG fan who priortizes combat, and neither did the Ultima series. The idea that morality mattered and the presence of even rudimentary dialogue systems was enough to hook me. Over the next four Ultima games (plus the Mars one, which I liked), the series only pushed those innovations further and further, taking the computer RPG from the world of dungeon crawling hack fests into precursors of the better RPGs we have 30 years later.

Nice story, J. Sounds like you really have good memories of those games.

Who could have guessed that the guy who included himself in all of his games as a perfect godlike authority figure might be a bit unstable :).

But I also have incredibly fond memories of Lord British, and Ultima. Ultima 4 in particular really was an incredible and revolutionary game. It was ages ahead of it's time. And at the time his presence in his own games seemed more cute than weird.

The people involved this (at least the lead Florian Kasper) were previously involved in Ultima remake projects, see their listing on Dino's Ultima Page.

The website says this is a "Story-driven, single-player, interactive open world RPG inspired by the ultima series ans classic JRPGs". If this is single player only, that's promising since it's both a better fit for a small team, and Lord British too has had a more consistently positive reception for his single player work.

3 years since the first vid and we're not really seeing much progress. Color me bored; at least for now.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

However, being a true Neutral for life, I'd add my 2 cents to Lord British's story:
Richard Garriott was (and is) always a businessman first, and game designer second.
So his actions are quite all right in a twisted sort of way...

Back
Top Bottom