Non-RPG General News - Best Video Game Stories & Writing 2019

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Twinfinite declare their best video game stories & writing for 2019.

Best Video Game Stories & Writing of 2019

Winner: A Plague Tale: Innocence

Senior Editor Alex Gibson: A Plague Tale: Innocence surely has to go down as one of 2019's big surprises. Little known before its release, developer Asobo Studio has since shot into the spotlight after earning critical acclaim on the debut of this fantastic new IP, which centers around a fascinating tale of two siblings struggling to both survive and make sense of a dangerous medieval world.

[...]

A Plague Tale: Innocence marries its captivating setting a mysterious tale that keeps you guessing throughout. This intrigue keeps you pushing forward, ever enthused to see what's around the corner. I think the game serves as a reminder that storytelling in video games is often at its best incorporated into more linear level design. Asobo never wants you to stray too far, less you lose the pacing and intensity of the story.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Loved the game! It is not open-world or has many RPG mechanics, but the story is good, the setting is refreshing, the chars are lovable, the rat tech is impressive and the levels are diverse.
Full recommendation and I can't wait for the next installment!

I actually agree with A Plague Tale: Innocence being the best story I've played this year, and to be fair, it's probably also the most enjoyable game I've completed in 2019.

I found A Plague Tale mostly forgettable, but I value gameplay and world-building over story.

I'm somewhat surprised Disco Elysium didn't win this though. *Edit* Seeing as how they don't even mention DE, I'm guessing they didn't play it.

I'm not surprised with anything seeing some mmo is among best writing nominees. Whatta joke. The worst VN has better writing than mmos.

The sad thing is that I had to look up what "SJW" means to be reminded in how deep shit the internet is. I remember the days when people just had fun with games, shows or movies without looking for "agendas" in everything they saw or consumed.

Doesn't affect me or how much fun I had with the game either way.

No idea which SJW tropes my colleague is speaking of apart from the main char being a girl?!
If that is your problem it has nothing to do with "SJW." You are simply a misogynist then.

No idea which SJW tropes my colleague is speaking of apart from the main char being a girl?!
If that is your problem it has nothing to do with "SJW." You are simply a misogynist then.

He's not a colleague because he doesn't even play games. He just watches them.

That is a point. Colleagues in what.

Cant be in gaming as players are not forcefully gamers, they might lack the compulsory interest in gameplay that characterizes gamers.

Cant be in made for streamer vid products. That kind of vid products is either streamed or watched being streamed. Streamers are colleagues with other streamers, viewers are colleagues with other viewers and streamers also are colleagues with viewers.

Playing those made for streamer vid products without streaming or watching them streamed does not qualify.

Colleagues in stories. It would take to consider empowerment tales like TW3's as great stories.

Remains: colleagues in posting on this site. Works.

Back
Top Bottom