Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - The 10 Companions

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
TechRaptor have made an overview of the 10 companions that we know of now for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

Wrath of the Righteous - Seelah

Pathfinder%20Seelah_0.jpg

Race: Human
Class: Paladin

Like Amiri before her, Seelah is one of the iconic characters in Pathfinder, a character created specifically to feature their chosen class. In this case, Seelah is a Paladin of the goddess Iomedae. Unlike most Paladins, Seelah's character is one that is mostly cheerful and friendly, despite a very tragic past that includes a life of hardships, theft, and death. Seelah's resolve allows her to see the good in everyone; she can judge, but she is never judgmental, allowing her to push for redemption for all.

In terms of tactics, Seelah is probably the most straightforward companion in the game when it comes to her role. As a Paladin, Seelah is designed to be on the front lines, utilizing melee and her healing spells to sustain a front line. Her defenses are also augmented by her sword and shield weapon specializations, making her the primary tank in Wrath of the Righteous.
More information.

Camellia and Daeran are romanceable.
Not caring for other 8. :D

I'm pretty sure you are joking, so not aimed at you joxer, but it's always hard for me to understand why romanceable NPCs is a big deal to an important portion of players.

I still remember the vicious rage wars that went on in BioWare forums discussing whether Liara, Ashley or Miranda were the best waifus. Just mind blowing. I'm pretty sure dozens of people got banned on daily basis considering the language and vehemency used in the arguments.

Well those ME trilogy "waifu flamewars" back then were an unique thing - your choice could not be an everyday normal, real, woman. Instead you had to pick between an alien 100 years older than you, a pretty much useless (class soldier) xenophobic racist and genetically enhanced lab experiment. ;)
Was it a sort of pick a lesser evil choice that made the thing interesting? That's a question for sociology classes I believe…

I seriously believe romances should not be a big deal at all unless some title is advertised as a dating game. But if they're a part of a game, then I expect to see something completely different from numerous yucky romance dramas on TV.
For example the shotgun wedding from FO2, IMO a brilliant design, what other game has it? FO2 was light on the romance, but what it had to say about that, was done perfectly.
A counter example, Skyrim's Lydia. Is that a romance? Seriously? Any why is she repeating "I'm married!" till doomsday?

There is a business part of ingame romances and that's why we're seeing it often in games that aren't supposed to be dating sims. Adding romances in a game can be used by any PR and as such makes a sellpoint to those interested. A game otherwise may be a Doom clone but a soul interested in digital romances who doesn't care about shooters might now buy that new Doom.
Usually, pro reviewers ignore ingame romances and they're partially responsible why are we still seeing them everywhere with pretty much pisspoor execution. No reason to change something that's selling and isn't criticized.

A heavily female mix, although the stretch goals help balance it out a little.

Companions and interaction with them is probably one of my favorite things in a game these days. It isn't enough to sell me the game on its own but it is a very strong factor in perking my interest and desire to play. I really enjoy that sense of having a team, and perhaps someone a bit extra special in the team, to group with.

Also while I won't buy a game just because they have good companions, regardless of what game genre/type it is … there is a good chance I won't pick up a game if they don't have any companions at all unless the game itself is exceptional (i.e. everything else in it I am interested in).

I find pack-mule characters with zero personality or history to be dullsville. In games like that best to just do without if you can. Skyrim was pretty bad in that regard - they at least had some lore and personality but oh so limited. FO4, on the other hand, did a far better job and probably why I enjoy it so much.

I really enjoyed all the characters in PF:KM with Valerie being my favorite, along with Linzi, Octavia, Jaethal … oddly enough mostly female. Tristian and Reg were okay but not anything special.

So far for WoR the one that is highest on my list of interest is Woljif Jefto, especially since I will be playing a Tiefling as well. I hope they don't mess him up.

Lann and the Succubus both sound interesting as well. Camellia seems like a solid basic companion but so far not overly interested. Hard to say though as I didn't think I would like Valerie and she is my favorite.

I hope Jefto is romanceable but haven't seen any statement. I know Daeran is but he is probably a stuck up Aasimar - but no picture or real background yet so will have to wait and see if I can warm up to him.

Plus seems like a lot are still unknown.

I'll actually read through the companion list before starting WotR, because it's more fun (and better foor loot distribution) to play a different class than what's available. I find scripted companions more fun than mercenaries.

What I DON'T like about companions these days (I believe it started with Kotor and NWN2) is that they all tag along with you despite who you have in your active party. I prefer the BG way where I actually have to choose. It's especially immersion breaking (to me) when Good aligned characters happily follow an Evil MC. They should give a warning the first time you do something they seriously dislike, and then leave of you do it a second time.

I'll actually read through the companion list before starting WotR, because it's more fun (and better foor loot distribution) to play a different class than what's available. I find scripted companions more fun than mercenaries.

What I DON'T like about companions these days (I believe it started with Kotor and NWN2) is that they all tag along with you despite who you have in your active party. I prefer the BG way where I actually have to choose. It's especially immersion breaking (to me) when Good aligned characters happily follow an Evil MC. They should give a warning the first time you do something they seriously dislike, and then leave of you do it a second time.

Totally agree! I do like that. I mean there is some banter between Jaethal and Tristian ... but overall everyone just follows the leader. I want more tension and be forced to choose a character over another. Much more fun!

What I don't like from companions, is them playing critical roles in the story. I'm fine with them offering their little gimmicks and conversations to people who are interested, but I don't want X quest, Y area or Z item to be locked behind warming up to a compantion in particular, because I also paid the full price of the game and have the right to experience 100% of the content playing it my way.

It's funny for me, because ME2 is one of the best RPGs I've ever played for my personal enjoyment, and it had a lot of that, but as far as my preferences go, companions should be that, companions, not a writer's Mary Sue shoved into your party forcefully, making the game more of their story than my own.

I'm ambivalent about companions most of the time. I agree Fallout 4 did them well, Skyrim did not and I skip male companion story lines. I thought companions were horrible in DOS 1 and 2, but that's because voice acting/dialog in general just sucks in those games; at least in English. I thought Pathfinder did a good job, but I only played up to getting the castle/keep thingy. As soon as I stopped questing and started managing, that totally killed my interest. PoE was also horrible with companions, imo. I don't do quirky. Make it a person you would meet in real life, not some clown with some serious mental issues.

Indeed. I can never forget Wynne in Dragon Age Origins, which I adored and respected throughout the majority of the adventure, turning against me and party for desecrating some remains near the end of the game and having to end her life (my dual wielder took her head off!). Broke my heart!

Even Mount & Blade Warband had that party quibble which added to the dynamics of the game play and party.

What I don't like from companions, is them playing critical roles in the story. I'm fine with them offering their little gimmicks and conversations to people who are interested, but I don't want X quest, Y area or Z item to be locked behind warming up to a compantion in particular, because I also paid the full price of the game and have the right to experience 100% of the content playing it my way.

It's funny for me, because ME2 is one of the best RPGs I've ever played for my personal enjoyment, and it had a lot of that, but as far as my preferences go, companions should be that, companions, not a writer's Mary Sue shoved into your party forcefully, making the game more of their story than my own.

I admit I don't understand this. Oh I get the concept of course and I understand the words. I mean a game is what it is. You are not missing content if the content of the game has companions who have their own quests that depend on meeting certain requirements. That is part of the game content. It is not being blocked anymore than anything else in a game. You have access to the content if you want to get to it.

Do you want that sword of +5 buried in a chest some place where you have to find 5 pieces of a puzzle map and one piece means helping a certain faction before they hand it over? That is no different than wanting a perk from a companion for reaching a certain affinity with them.

I don't think I have ever played a game where I was unable to complete the core main quest line by not meeting a companion requirement (although I admit my memory is not good enough to remember all the situations in all the games I have played so maybe I am forgetting one). Sure they can impact the main story, make it harder or easier, or have additional content for it, but it doesn't block anything.

You can get the access to the content if you want to do the quests. It is no different then not doing a certain quest that is evil when role playing a good character. I play games all the time where I never see certain content because I don't want to make certain choices.

Content access is all about choices and what you want. Companions are no different in that regard than any other content. In Skyrim I never helped any evil Daedric Prince and hence have never seen that content or got the rewards. I have never once joined the DB so never once will I see that content. But I don't complain that they "locked" me out of that content because they should let me see it without having to be part of the DB. It is my choice to make.

Most C&C/RPG games won't let you play 100% "your way" because there will be choices you have to make. The game isn't written for you or any single person. It is written for many and has lots of content. Often people will never see all the content because of their play style and how "they want to play" which is their choice.

I also don't need my character to always be at the center of attention although I can understand why some folks do enjoy that - and then I can see companions detracting from that - so agree on that point. But as far as content - its there and you have access if you want to make those decision. If you don't that is your choice.

@wolfgrimdark;, 100% agreed!

I might be misunderstanding you but I believe I feel the opposite. I don't want companions to be mandatory in main quests (and perhaps that was what you were referring to?), but I certainly enjoy if there are quest chains that you'll never see without them. I love PF:KM but the fact I could finish all companion quests in just one playthrough is not a good thing.

Beyond liking or not liking it, it weakens the storyline, it thinnens the credibility.

Those NPCs are supposed to be characters (and strong characters most of the times) and yet they display a lack of character.
They are supposed to be companions yet they are so below the player's station they feel like porters in an expedition in Africa, guys whose stories are listened to to be recounted during a dinner with gentry.

They are depicted as having no convictions in life, puppets on a string that renegate on anything conflictual with the player's whims.

Players' authority is total and shall not be opposed.

Writers are aware of it, they tried to work around it. ME writers wrote NPCs as not meant to stand alone, they complement Sheppard as a player wants to build their Sheppard. Want a good buddy Sheppard,take that companion, his lines will stage Sheppard as the good buddy guy etc

Tyranny, due to its settings, had ways to explain why followers subordinated themselves so much to the PC.

Mere writing tricks.

Quite hard to write strong characters when players expect them to lack character, to show utter compliance with any player's whims. They are weak, have no backbone, knee down anytime they might cause conflict with a player's direction.

Most C&C/RPG games won't let you play 100% "your way" because there will be choices you have to make. The game isn't written for you or any single person. It is written for many and has lots of content. Often people will never see all the content because of their play style and how "they want to play" which is their choice.

I also don't need my character to always be at the center of attention although I can understand why some folks do enjoy that - and then I can see companions detracting from that - so agree on that point. But as far as content - its there and you have access if you want to make those decisions. If you don't that is your choice.

I don't mean that I am locked out of content because of my choices, I mean for example when a whole area/location/questline can only be done taking certain companion in the party, or when that part of the story is about them, and not my own character. As said, I wanna play my own character, not sit and watch some writer's Mary Sue.

I do understand that others feel excited to learn everything about other characters and their lives and inquietudes, and I think that's fine, I just don't want it to be mandatory and imposed. For me that's what books are for. Games are interactive and I want the game to be about my character and my choices. Again, I know others feel differently, that's fine. I don't want my tastes to be mandatory to others, but I want the freedom to not be imposed companions in X mission or to access Y location that contains Z perk/item that is advantageous to gameplay effects... or even to advance the main storyline at all.

I'm trying to understand. So if in exchange fpr a companion quest you would get a quest for your player character instead (that others who follow the companion quest would be locked out of) you'd be ok?

I'm trying to understand. So if in exchange fpr a companion quest you would get a quest for your player character instead (that others who follow the companion quest would be locked out of) you'd be ok?

I think I get what they are saying now although I still think is a choice thing.

Speaking in general terms if someone doesn't like doing companion quests to see content then they feel forced to do companion quests to see that content and they don't like that. They would prefer there be another way to see that content unrelated to the companions, in this case perhaps a quest related to their character.

But that isn't the game itself blocking content, that is player choice due to likes/dislikes. On the other hand I think there is agreement here (that it is a choice thing) - and what is being said is simply they prefer it when games don't force companion only content on them. I only commented on the initial post because of the locking out semantics as I don't think its the game locking out content but the player themselves.

I think a good analogy is the good/evil quest. For example I don't like doing purely evil quests. That means I don't get to see the content that you can only see by doing certain evil quest lines. Now that doesn't bother me. But if it did then I would not appreciate any game that forced me, as a player, to do evil quests to see that content. Instead I would want them to provide another method to let me see that content (perhaps an alternative neutral way to do the quests with a different approach but still access the overall content).

Evil quests, companion quest - same thing just a matter of taste.

Last edited:

Not that. Imagine I'm playing Space Opera RPG.

Scenario A I wouldn't like: To access certain planet which has a bunch of XP, resources and maybe gear that you can't find anywhere else, I need to have X loyalty/be at X stage in a companion's personal quest.

What I would like: Have that planet unlocked after X main story milestone that doesn't require my interaction or interest for any particular companion.

Scenario B I wouldn't like: I'm facing X villain, and Y companion is shoved forcefully into my party to take part in the fight/event.

What I would like: Have full freedom of choice of who is in my party at all times, including having nobody if I don't want to.

Even Mount & Blade Warband had that party quibble which added to the dynamics of the game play and party.

Vid products (including games) trying to introduce NPCs with personalities run in troubles.Any layer that puts itself between a player and her ability to shape her self perception is trouble.

M&B is an example on how it leads to troubles and how devs had to step back from their original design.

In M&B, PCs are perceived the way they act. Act valiantly and be perceived as a valiant character, act cowardly and be perceived as a coward.

Companions used to reflect the approach, here's a companion who is takes pride in his fighting skills and expect the PC character to put them to test in against the odds battles. Or that companion who revels in making money out of farming the weakest and expects PC to raid villages.

It seems though their feed back was resented as judgemental and breaking the capacity of a palyer to shape their self perception.

Having a companion breaking ranks to declare he is growing weary of crushing bandits or she is enjoying burning down villages did not work as validation but rather as a moral statement, players feeling exposed as a coward or a farmer of the weaker. Whereas players would have preferred to picture themselves as mighty warriors or honourable knights.

The system had to be severely watered down up to the point the balancing act to match companions' expectations is light.

Back
Top Bottom