Nioh 2 - Interview - Prepare to Yokai

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamingbolt interviewed the devs of Nioh 2 about the game.

Difficulty and accessibility in games is something that's become a pertinent topic over the last year, especially in games like Nioh that seem like they're designed around challenging the player. What's Nioh 2's approach to difficulty in light of that?

Because Nioh is an action RPG franchise, our top priority was pursuing the response time of the actions. Next, to ensure the exhilaration from victories, we set out to find the perfect balance between game difficulty and options of various solutions for single play, including RPG elements that help strengthen the characters.

On top of that, if RPG elements are still not enough to overcome game difficulty, or one cannot invest too much time and effort into character development, there are online features that allow players to enlist help from others in order to progress in the game.

It seems like greater enemy variety is something that Nioh 2 is putting a great deal of emphasis on. How does that play into things like combat and progression?

As a game of battles, enemy variety is indispensable in delivering a rich gaming experience. Learning about your enemies is the biggest part of understanding the game. Once you know about an enemy inside and out, defeating it should become easier. And in an effort to keep the game engaging, we created a variety of maps and situations, as well as enemy combinations for players to take on. This is not only for keeping up the challenge, but also to ensure that the game is visually interesting, bringing depth to the world of Nioh.

Nioh's focus on Japanese history was one of the most interesting things about its setting, but with Nioh 2, it looks like things are going to be a lot more fantastical- what sort of a balance does the game strike between those two aspects?

The period in which the story takes place is the most interesting time of the Japanese history. Having such a background, we cannot ignore the actual historical events nor not take advantage of them. That said, it was important to interpret the time from Nioh's perspective with its own fantastical touch. The defining factor for that would be the setting of "two individuals, one Hideyoshi." The identity of Hideyoshi that people are familiar with is only one of them, and the success of Hideyoshi was also built on our protagonist's contribution, bringing about a fresh tale without conflicting with the well-known historical facts.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

The first Nioh was really difficult. Much more so than any of the Souls games. Like all these games, I find myself seriously obsessed with them for a while, then eventually get tired of them before finishing.

I'm avoiding Nioh 2 until there's a deep sale.

Couldnt get in first Nioh somehow. It is difficult, but I dont think that was main problem. Maybe setting didnt appeal to me as Dark Souls games did. Not going for Nioh 2, at least not now.

Couldnt get in first Nioh somehow. It is difficult, but I dont think that was main problem. Maybe setting didnt appeal to me as Dark Souls games did. Not going for Nioh 2, at least not now.

I had the same experience. Played a good bit but interest petered out way before reaching the end.

I've been playing Nioh 2 a fair bit since launch and have been finding it easier so far. I did play the first Nioh a lot, so I was familiar with how many of the various mechanics work and what kind of build I wanted to go for, so that made it a bit easier for me.

However, by and far what makes it easier are the Benevolent Graves. They're blue swords that other players can place down to let you summon their character as an NPC companion in your game. You can only summon one at a time and they aren't always skilled or well-equipped, but even if they just serve as a distraction for enemies, they can be a big help. The bosses I've fought so far have all been pretty easy as well. The human bosses I've fought so far have been nowhere near as challenging as the ones in Nioh 1.

I like being able to create your own character, even if they do just play the role of the silent protagonist who just goes along with things while everyone else does the talking.

Overall, I'm happy with the game and it's been scratching that itch I've been having for a Souls-like game (even if I do prefer the world, setting, and almost everything else in the Souls games).

Back
Top Bottom