Wasteland 3 - Vehicular Combat Interview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
inXile was interviewed by Game Informer, who asked how the vehicular combat works in Wasteland 3.

On vehicle uses during combat:

"You can move this vehicle around in combat. It has a lot of offensive capabilities. You can use it as cover. It can smash through things. And, of course, it has guns. We felt that we should go ahead and make the vehicle fun to use. Development would have been a lot easier if we didn't have all that - if we just had the vehicle take you from point A to point B, but using it in combat was so much fun. So we zeroed in on that, and then we built upgrades and progression elements and all these other systems to support that."

On Kodiak upgrades:

"As you play through the game, you have choices and make mutually exclusive decisions about how to improve your vehicle. I think that's gonna lead to some really interesting party styles. You can upgrade its chassis, its engine, its armor. There's a lot of different stuff you can upgrade all the way to hood ornaments on the front that you collect from different factions, so it's like a drivable trophy. Those ornaments are cosmetic, but everything else affects the vehicle stats. You can adjust how fast your vehicle moves, both when you're driving around the world map and in combat. You can get an ability to launch orders offscreen to bombard an area. You can give your vehicle new turrets, which have a range of different abilities, so depending on what you're up against, you may want to adjust your turret type. There are different defensive things you can get, like armor upgrades, too. The Kodiak doesn't go through a leveling system like your player characters, but you will be upgrading it consistently throughout the game."

[...]
More information.

Maybe after this they can make an Autoduel type game.

One of my fantasy games is a modern Autoduel with turn-based combat.

One of my fantasy games is a modern Autoduel with turn-based combat.
Well Fargo mentioned and trademarked something with the name. Though it has been a few years since then with no new announcements. Rumor was it was an MMO.

And making it an MMO would turn my fantasy into a nightmare.

And making it an MMO would turn my fantasy into a nightmare.
All I know is a new game was supposed to be announced this year that has emergent connected game-play. Fargo give's out hints but hasn't announced it yet.

Hopefully its not an online game but sounds like it is.

On a side note rumor is Obsidian's next RPG will be a fantasy Skyrim type game also. Not relevant to this topic but just wanted to say that for those interested.

Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxSeriesX/comments/hdfv6w/i_found_this_interesting_art_possibly_for/

Back
Top Bottom