Dust to the End - Announced for August 31

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The post-apocalytic RPG Dust to the End will be released on August 31:

Game introduction

Dust to the End shows a world of wasteland in the last days, there is only one rule in the wasteland world, that is to do everything possible to survive! In order to survive, you can wander around in this open wasteland world, earn money by running merchants to form a caravan, and become a wasteland merchant on the rich side. In order to survive, you can also explore the entire world of dust, take your own expedition to search every abandoned underground ruins, and experience a fortune. In order to survive, you can even pull out a team to fight and rob around...

Background of the story

A nuclear war ended human civilization, and survivors spent a century of stagnation and safety hiding in an underground refuge. When the radiation on the ground gradually dissipated, the survivors returned to the surface and began the reconstruction of civilization. Sadly, mankind has not learned from the tragic ending of the previous round of civilization, and the history of fraud is repeated in this wasteland world. In order to compete for land and resources, the emerging forces began to make a big deal between them, doing wars, looting and even human trafficking. Not long ago, a human trafficking organization named "Black Death" ransacked a shelter called "507". After some looting, a large number of residents became captives. The protagonist escaped as a lucky 507, but survival is never easy, is it a stubborn survival or a persistent breath? Escape from reality or bloodthirsty revenge? When the protagonist walked out of the ruins of 507 and came to this wasteland world, these choices were already in front of him.

Game Features

• Materials in the wasteland world are scarce, and trade exchanges between regions are not close enough. This creates opportunities for merchants. There are nearly 50 towns of different sizes and more than 100 kinds of traded goods in the game.
  • Each town has its own specialty products and demand goods. Players need to ascertain the town's production and demand, and then formulate trade routes to maximize the profits of businessmen.
  • When you are on the way to run a business, you may meet passers-by for help and find an abandoned camp, or be robbed, guarded extortion, and a terrible desert storm.
  • You will also encounter fierce roaring dogs, mutant giant beasts and other travelers and caravans.
  • In order to run a business safely, you must hire mercenaries to form a caravan, and each mercenary has its own character.
  • These personalities will affect the mood of each caravan member and the state of the caravan. Whether you can take this team well and handle interpersonal relationships will test the player's team management level.
  • Mercenary mercenaries can quickly increase the combat strength of caravans to meet various challenges, but naturally there are more mercenaries than people. . Players must have sufficient funds to purchase equipment for the team mercenaries and pay weekly salary.
  • Equipped with different weapons will have different combat skills. You can build a team based on the mercenary's occupation, skills and personal preferences.
More information.

It is not available in my region. I just can't figure it out why. Ok, I'll pass !

Could be good or bad (like 99% of the "tactical rpg" out there). Will wait for the first reviews.

Looks like a post apocalyptic version of Darkest Dungeon. Might give it a try. Probably not at release though...from August Onwards this year is packed.

I don't consider JRPG combat to be very tactical.

I don't consider JRPG combat to be very tactical.

JRPG combat can be quite tactical. I guess you define JRPG combat as fixed positions.
But there are quite a few games where you have fixed positions or semi fixed positions which are quite tactical. Darkest Dungeon for example. Yes you can swap positions there, but depending on your group you might not want to do that.

The combat in operencia is also quite Tactical. Yes, different perspective, but if you attack from bottom upwards of from left to right shouldn't make a big difference - you cannot move.
Ofc that pretty much includes all crawlers as they usually don't incorporate swapping positions. Granted, they are also usually not very tactical. Maybe MMX to some degree.

Dead Age is another good example. It's not very deep either. But it becomes somewhat more tactical on your combat to combat approach, similar to Darkest Dungeon. How far do you want to go before you risk dieing?

The options in combat for Dust to the End also don't look plenty though.
So it's very well possible that combat is very untactical and dumb.
But it could also draw it's tension and difficulty from other aspects like to management between combats and similar.

No matter how you look at it, though, you're removing one very large -- and I would argue a wealth of options that subsequently leads to a wealth of new options -- aspect of combat by removing positioning on a map.

You are right of course. I am just saying that even without that a game can be tactical.

On the other hand, there are a lot of examples of games which have positional combat which are super untactical. Or which would only be tactical if the AI couldn't be exploited into oblivion.
Planescape Torment comes to mind (also because Combat couldn't matter less in a game), Wasteland 2 (release version) is also a pretty good example on how you reduce tactics to a minimum - you just put your guys into position and shoot. Positioning in Blackguards while "tactical" also broke game concepts.

And not all games even when having positioning make it an elemental part of the game like in Chess or Into the Breach. In some games it's just something which is there but barely matters besides of common sense "go into closest cover, shoot enemy until dead"

You're right, too. Wizardry 8's combat was pretty cool. And I take your point about lazy or sloppy map and encounter design. Pillars of Eternity at launch leaps to mind.

Still, when I sit down to eat these days, much like my limited game time, I usually prefer a steak to McDonald's.

Back
Top Bottom