Wasteland 3 - Beta Improvements & Mac/Linux Delay

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new Fig update for Wasteland 3 talks about beta improvements, like animal companions attacking in combat. Also Mac and Linux versions are confirmed to come later.

Wasteland 3 Beta Improvements + Mac & Linux Delay

Posted: 07/11/2020
Greetings Rangers,​

Your testing and feedback during the Beta was invaluable, and we've already incorporated a number of your requests--in addition to fixing bugs, improving performance, and continuing to finish up the game. We wanted to share details on a few of those with you today.​

First though we have some news for our Mac and Linux players--we've made the difficult decision to focus Wasteland 3's initial release on Windows 10, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. We're prioritizing the work for Mac and Linux post-launch, and expect it to be complete by the end of the year. This wasn't an easy decision to make, but ultimately will result in a better overall product for Mac and Linux as well. We're still a small studio considering the size of the games we like to make, and this allows us to keep our engineers dedicated to the core game systems.​

We know that for some of you the additional wait will be frustrating, and we want everyone to feel satisfied with their experience, so we've taken steps to ensure we can offer refunds beyond the standard Fig and Crowd Ox refund cutoffs. We know Wasteland 3 will absolutely be worth the wait, but we respect your pledge, and we want you to be confident in continuing the journey with us. Contact us through the inXile support site if you'd like to discuss that option. Please be aware that once retail keys are distributed, and/or physical rewards are shipped, we will no longer be able to offer refunds--rewards are expected to be sent in the next few weeks.​

Beta Makes It Better

Before we get to the improvements we've been working on since Beta, it's important to note that this isn't a comprehensive update on all the features, fixes, and feedback we're working on--these are some of the things that we have fully implemented. We're looking forward to sharing a few more as development wraps up.​

Alternate Firing Modes

One of the most common requests from Beta participants was bringing back firing modes for automatic weapons. Our thought in removing them was that the types and variety of weapons we have in Wasteland 3 will more than make up for single- and multi-shot choices, but the message was well received.​

That said, we couldn't just throw it back on a few assault rifles and call it a day. Wasteland 3 (like everything else) punches it up to 11, and we've added additional firing modes to many weapons across the game. That's right, no matter what weapon type you're using, be it a shotgun, assault rifle, pistol, or sharpened road-sign, you'll likely have access to an alternate firing mode. These are attacks that aren't inherently better, but provide you with situational flexibility--and in the right circumstances they can be devastating. These alternate firing abilities won't generally be found on powerful or unique items, or weapons with their own secondary effects.​

Here's a quick look at some alternate firing abilities that can be found.​

Custom Portraits

This one wasn't so much a Beta request as a question we get from time to time, and we can confirm that custom portraits are in, and they are spectacular. This is a PC-only feature that allows you to create, name, and once again add a custom face to each of your squad members. Might we recommend a squad made entirely of your family and friends? Or the various ingredients in a ham and cheese sandwich?​

However you choose to roleplay your squad, custom portraits can help put on a finishing touch.​

Custom portraits should be 420x337px as either a JPG or PNG and placed into a self-created folder named: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Wasteland3\Custom Portraits\

Sell Junk

Yes, we will indeed have a sell junk button when visiting merchants. We're not exactly challenging the paradigms of game design here, but it was a common Beta request/mention. Good job, you.​

Hide Armor

We shared this on social a while back, but this is a good place to show it again--with an update! Based on Beta feedback we've added the ability to hide your armor, and that now also includes leg armor.​

All Animal Companions in Combat

One of the features we've gotten consistently positive feedback on has been the Animal Whisperer system and bringing animals along with you in the game; however, there was a clear message we received that people would like to see more animal friends taking an active role in combat. You've spent the points, you're bringing these furry friends with you, and so it only makes sense that they'd be able to assist you with claw and fang as you explore Colorado.​

To that end we've added attacks and attack animations to all creatures in Wasteland 3, allowing all animals to join you in combat, and making this a more fulfilling skill to put your points into. We've also redone all the animal walk, run, and idle animations.​

Here's a short video of their attacks in action:​

As we mentioned at the top of the article, this isn't an exhaustive list of Beta feedback-led changes and adjustments but are some of the systems that are already fully implemented.​

We're of course looking forward to continuing to share updates as we near Wasteland 3's release on August 28!​
More information.

I feel for the Mac/Linux users, they just got hit by another delay :(

On a side note, beware of the most dangerous beast in the game: the rabid rabbit!

I'm a firm believer that alot of the best improvements come in last for games. Animal companions attacking and alt fire modes definitely adds more interest for me.

I'm getting quite excited about this. Its a day one purchase and play, a rare thing for me! (as long as my knackered old laptop can actually play it….)

Usually the Mac and Linux versions are released years later? o_O

What's new is thanks to Microsoft's money inXile can release the console versions with the PC release this time. They better not announce a new delay in August.:brood:

I feel for the Mac/Linux users, they just got hit by another delay :(

I don't.

If Steam surveys show 0.4% of users game on Linux, why should anybody discuss it at all in regards to gaming? Mac OS usage isn't much higher.

IMO neither OS is suitable for premium PC gaming or much of PC gaming period. Devs shouldn't waste any time on either at all.

People that want to play PC games should do so on appropriate systems. It's ridiculous to expect devs to code for and worse attempt to support barely used OSes.

(I dislike all things Apple even if some do like Macs for novelty. Linux is a great OS - just not for gaming, and not for any kind of general 'joe user'.)

Usually the Mac and Linux versions are released years later? o_O

What's new is thanks to Microsoft's money inXile can release the console versions with the PC release this time. They better not announce a new delay in August.:brood:

You mean to November 19th? :p

*runs Away*

I don't.

If Steam surveys show 0.4% of users game on Linux, why should anybody discuss it at all in regards to gaming? Mac OS usage isn't much higher.

IMO neither OS is suitable for premium PC gaming or much of PC gaming period. Devs shouldn't waste any time on either at all.

People that want to play PC games should do so on appropriate systems. It's ridiculous to expect devs to code for and worse attempt to support barely used OSes.

(I dislike all things Apple even if some do like Macs for novelty. Linux is a great OS - just not for gaming, and not for any kind of general 'joe user'.)

I used to work for a retail software chain, and for a while we had a couple of short shelves for Linux and Linux products. There were maybe 10 or so games, and always the same ones. We had a regular I still remember who refused to use any OS other than Linux (and could talk endlessly about how great it was) and he would come in every week or two and pore through those 10 games like he'd never seen them before. It was sad.

Those attack and enemy-hit animations are better than in Larian-TrainWreck Baldurs Gate 3!

When I saw 'Hide Armor' I thought, okay, armor made of animal hide. Then I read it and… wait, what? Why would you need to hide your armor? That seems almost pointless, even if you get the occasional conversation hook.

When I saw 'Hide Armor' I thought, okay, armor made of animal hide. Then I read it and… wait, what? Why would you need to hide your armor? That seems almost pointless, even if you get the occasional conversation hook.

It's purely aesthetic, I would assume. Same kind of option that "hide helmet" has been in dozens of games.

Just got my Wasteland 3 collectors edition (from the Fig campaign) today. Surprised me - wouldn't have expected inXile to have their shit together well enough to get it out this early. Also, it's probably the coolest collectors edition I've ever seen, likely edging out D:OS2's.

Just got my Wasteland 3 collectors edition (from the Fig campaign) today. Surprised me - wouldn't have expected inXile to have their shit together well enough to get it out this early. Also, it's probably the coolest collectors edition I've ever seen, likely edging out D:OS2's.
Does it include the game or just a code for download on Steam/GOG when unlocked?

Does it include the game or just a code for download on Steam/GOG when unlocked?
Unless I'm missing something, as far as I can tell it includes neither. Maybe they're mailing out discs later on? If not, I guess you're just supposed to get your Steam key via email or whatever, and that's that.

It includes:
- Figurine that's really cool-looking and high quality. Higher quality than D:OS2's Fane.
- Huge box that folds out into sort of a big landscape that you can use as a backdrop for your figurine.
- Leather-bound color-printed manual. (Feels semi-close to real leather, I'm sure it isn't, but it isn't some cheapo stuff)
- Hardcover bound art book.
- Real metal dogtags and Rangers badge, well made.
- Cassette tape that has a little fold-out USB plug. 8GB flash, loaded with digital manual and soundtrack.
- Cloth map which feels a little thin and not like real cloth. It isn't terrible, but it's the weakest item here.

Unless I'm missing something, as far as I can tell it includes neither. Maybe they're mailing out discs later on? If not, I guess you're just supposed to get your Steam key via email or whatever, and that's that.

It includes:
- Figurine that's really cool-looking and high quality. Higher quality than D:OS2's Fane.
- Huge box that folds out into sort of a big landscape that you can use as a backdrop for your figurine.
- Leather-bound color-printed manual. (Feels semi-close to real leather, I'm sure it isn't, but it isn't some cheapo stuff)
- Hardcover bound art book.
- Real metal dogtags and Rangers badge, well made.
- Cassette tape that has a little fold-out USB plug. 8GB flash, loaded with digital manual and soundtrack.
- Cloth map which feels a little thin and not like real cloth. It isn't terrible, but it's the weakest item here.
Thanks for the quick answer. :)

The Cassette USB sounds nice. As for me I only pledged for the game.

Can't wait to play it this month.

Back
Top Bottom